What's new

DVD Recommendations for Films with Plots that Revolve around Thanksgiving Day (1 Viewer)

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Thanksgiving holiday is a wonderful time to watch films with the family, (at least when there isn’t a decent football game on). ;)

With that in mind, I thought it might be nice to start a list of films one might recommend films with plots that revolve around Thanksgiving.

Only four come to mind immediately, but at least for me, they are all wonderful films.

[c] [/c]

Planes, Trains & Automobiles:

This is with out a doubt my favorite Thanksgiving film. This John Hughes classic, starring Steve Martin and John Candy, IMO elevated Steve Martin's status from just a slapstick comedian to a first rate actor. Like Groundhog Day, this film never gets boring, and deserves annual screenings.

[c] [/c]

Home for the Holidays

It is a really nice and funny film, perfect for Thanksgiving. It was directed by Jodi Foster and stars Holly Hunter, but also features a nice ensemble cast including Robert Downey Jr., Anne Bancroft, Charles Durning, lan McDermott, Geraldine Chaplin, Claire Danes, and even Steve Guttenberg who is surprisingly excellent in this film.

The only other two films that I can think of that are good and revolve around Thanksgiving are Peter Hedges' Pieces of April and Gurinder Chadha's What's Cooking?:

[c] [/c]

If anyone has other Thanksgiving 'themed' films to recommend, please do so.

Happy Turkey Day All!

ChrisPearson

Second Unit
Although not a Thanksgiving film per se, Hannah and her Sisters uses a series of Thanksgiving parties as a recurring motif.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Just be aware when gathering those kids around, there is one particular scene at the car rental counter in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles that many would not term "family-friendly." :)

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
One of my favorite "Thanksgiving" films is BROADWAY DANNY ROSE which features an annual Thanksgiving dinner and the Macy Parade as two significant plot points. The scenes with Danny (Woody Allen) hosting Thanksgiving dinner for his misfit clients always makes me smile. And remember "The frozen turkey is just as good as the real kind".

Another film I'd recommend is SQUANTO:A WARRIOR's TALE which ends with a depiction of the first thanksgiving (as with many Hollywood biographies, it's not particularly historically accurate, but it is an entertaining story).

Jay Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't seen it in years, but Alice's Restaurant's "plot" is set into motion because the dump is closed on Thanksgiving Day.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
"The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas" takes place on that famous Thanksgiving day night....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks