What's new

DVD Profiler. Is it gone? (1 Viewer)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Joe, I'll have to check when I get home. I'm the farthest thing from a computer geek out there. Maybe the fact I have 2000+ iPod songs on there has something to do with it...?

Honestly, I used Profiler for YEARS and really like the personalization I can do on it. If I can get back to Profiler, I'd like to have three different places for my collection.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
For public viewing, I actually prefer DVDAficionado. That's the link I send out when people want to see my collection. I like seeing all the thumbnails. I think it presents the best interface for the public. DVDProfiler has the worst online interface for casual browsing (it's great if you know the exact title you want to view). You can see better cover scans online, but only one at a time. It's harder for me to see what titles someone has with Profiler because the list isn't graphical.

Still, my main purpose for using catalogging software is for me. And for personal use, nothing else even comes close to DVDProfiler. If I only used one system, there's no question that it would be Profiler. Fortunately, there's not reason I can't also supplement that with other systems. :D

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Does DVDProfiler *force* you to include cover scans in your collection? That's really lame. I have no need for that, and it'd render everything painful via dialup.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I know you have the option of including low-res scans, which helps greatly in the download time. I'm not sure if it's possible to disable the scans altogether.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Ah, to hell with it.
I'm gonna try Profiler again...:crazy:
Wish me luck

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I have not seen any updates in a very long time and today, my online list was not accessible.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
When I used it again in when I said I did, it had ALOT of DVD's I own not in their database. I'm not going to waste my time inputting them when I've been a contributing member at DVDSpot. I've submitted 458 tickets there so far. And I'm sticking with it. No if's, ands or "butts" about it.;)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

I'd been using DVDAficionado too, but now they have changed the system so that you can only see 50 titles at a time. They did this to reduce the workload on their servers, although frankly what is the difference between retreiving one large page, or being forced to click through many pages? The server is still delivering the same amount of data either way.

Anyway the problem with their redesign is that you cannot scroll through your entire collection anymore -- you have to click through many screens that present fractions of your collection. No one has patience for that. I don't, anyway.

So I intend to leave DVDAficianado, but so far they have not provided a way to export one's titles. Has anyone figured out a way?

I'd ask this on the DVDAf forum but I don't think they like to hear talk of people leaving.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I want to forewarn everyone regarding DVD Profiler. If you upgrade to Version 3, and have over 50 DVDs in your collection, you have to purchase the program for $30 to run the reports, cross-reference cast and crew. Basically, you have to purchase a registration key to do anything other than see a list of your DVDs. I may look at some of the other programs before I commit to $30 for DVD Profiler. My advice is to keep the old version of DVD Profiler as long as you can.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor

Anything over 50 DVDs will result in a blank on-line collection. Also, Keep in mind that the old version of DVD Profiler is no longer being supported so it will not be able to update the profiles from the server (you can still add them manually). The $30 fee buys you a lifetime license. When you look at it like that, it's not really much considering the one-time fee entitles you to upgrade to all future versions of the software at no additional cost.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

It doesn't seem like it's being updated very much if at all. For the past few weeks. Everytime I try to update the profiler list, it skips all the steps which I believe means that the database has not been updated. Has the old version of DVD Profiler been abandoned?

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
Yes, the old version is no longer supported. That means no more updates. The best you can do at this point is to manually add profiles.

You'd be much better off spending the $30 for version 3. I know some people prefer a free option and have given up on the program because of how restrictive the free version is now (which is fine of course), but $30 really isn't that much considering it's a lifetime registration combined with just how powerful it is.

Most people are trying to catalog thousands or tens of thousands of dollars worth of DVDs. What's another $30?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I was one of the people who never paid for 2.0 version. That said, I was happy to pay for the 3.0. It's much nicer then the previous. I love the new layout.

I just wish someone would make a plug in to update the actors pictures. I started doing it, but it's so monotonous, it seals my will to live. I want someone else to suffer for me :P

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman

I believe someone did make a plugin to do that.

I paid $25 for version 2 nearly 7 years ago. I'd say it was more than worth it. Think about how much people actually spend on DVDs and then the $30 registration fee looks like nothing.

You need to remember that serving up the databases, running the website (and previously the online collection) all use bandwidth that costs the company money, even when using the free version.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
So, um... can you guys give me the rundown on this? I've been kinda ignoring the new version (heard there were problems) and figures if it ain't broke don't fix it. Well, now the old version is broken (meaninf no longer supported), right?

I have version 2.4 and paid for the registration. If I want to keep using and adding titles, I ahve to switch to the new version, right?

Will I still be a paid subscriber, or do I have to pay again?

Will all my movies be transferred over? I have over 1000 titles and don't want to re add everything, but I think I heard that this new version uses an extra number off the barcode?

Is the new database up to date? I still can't find Pan's Labyrinth on the old one!

What do I need to do or know before installing the new version? Any help would be appreciated! I just don't want to screw the whole thing up. Been using it forever!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Hey Ric,

All you have to do is run and save the back up file from 2.0. When you install 3.0, it will import all the titles into the 3.0. Then when you run the online "update profiles", it will update them all.

That said, I had nearlly all 1000 titles showing updates, and some of them not exactly what I wanted so I had to check all of them. That said, I still think it's totally worth it. If you paid for the 2.0 version, you don;t have to pay for the 3.0 upgrade. Just use your regitration number, it will prompt you on install so have it ready. :)

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I actually just upgraded to the Pro version since many of you made such convincing arguments. :)

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
One thing people are overlooking here and I think it is a shame...

The 3.0 version will only run on XP and not on 2000 or Me. I have Me and an older computer that will not support XP so what am I to do?

Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks