What's new

DVD Profiler 3.0 is out (1 Viewer)

widescreenforever

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
arthurjulius
You can lock off the images so it won't be over ridden.., By having them locked off you can't accidentally upload them for contributions, but you can upload your catalogue for your 'webstyle library'., Your catalogue on line would reflect the actual art cover and not the one you create.
So in my case i.e. If I have a FAIRLY GOOD cover art DVD that I wish to use and the catalogue dvdprofiler has a so-so looking art cover that has been approved , and yours either wasn't or you never contributed it, the so-so one will take precedence over your Fairly Good one. Plus if your thumbnail art is overridden if not locked down and you have those little .jpgs on file, you just put them back. If you don't have them saved, then you should export your collection (within the walls of your PC ) then import all your titles and all your personal info on each and every one of your DVD library to the way you want it to read.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Well, everything seemed to work with the upgrade. I did a complete backup, including cover art, and then restored to version 3.0. It imported my customized cover art with no problem. I can run both version 3.0 and the older version 2.4 -- they were installed by default in separate folders.

I've always locked my customized cover art in version 2.4 to ensure the images do not get overwritten when I perform automatic updates from the website. It appears that all those lock settings carried over with my backup/restore to version 3.0.

So far, so good. :emoji_thumbsup: I'll have to play with this over the next couple of weeks to see what bugs I encounter. Fortunately, I'm not buying hardly any new titles, so maintaining two databases for awhile will not be a big deal.

Has anyone tried the new DVD Profiler Mobile version yet? I downloaded it, but have not tried to install yet. I currently use a freeware program called PocketPC Encoder from Bevelstone on my PDA. The program accepts an xml export from DVD Profiler and creates a nice display of your collection.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Funny, Profiler has asked me to upload the profiles i have created for myself. Course when i did try to upload they wont take it cause my e mail is with Hotmail, and not a paid service.
I also have like 900 DVDs, but only about 500 will upload to the web site unless i pay for premium service.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I'm disapointed that the mobile version doesn't seem to support Palm.

As far as the the old key goes, does it recognize that you have the old version or do I have to know the key? And if I have to know the key, is there a way to have v2.4 show you your key?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Is it really necessary for people to just post that they don't like DVD Profiler? This thread doesn't need that kind of thread crapping.

So I assume with having both versions installed, if you want to add a new title, you'd have to add it to both programs? I'm just about to install 3.0 right now and see how it is. Luckily I'm a premium customer. :)

EDIT: Ok, so I like the new program, but I'm trying to figure out this "Flag" thing. I have 17 DVD's that are flagged and I'm not sure what this means. It told me something about UPC's not being right and I did what they suggested by uploading that flag database (or whatever it was) and they are still flagged. Anyone know what to do?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Well, it looks like most of the flagged DVD's were DVD's that weren't in the online database, but there were also a few that were in the database.

It's funny because all of the DVD's that were flagged, that were also in the database, were ones that I added on 11/8/2002. So maybe there was a glitch on that date and those profiles were never downloaded properly? Anyways, I redid them and everything is fine. I like the new application. :emoji_thumbsup:

widescreenforever

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
arthurjulius

Flagging your DVD's is for isolating that title for either priniting out, or getting back to if you are working the your data base with title. It's just what it implies A Flagged or marked title.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, but the program automatically flagged 17 of my DVD's before I started the app for the first time. I was wondering why it did that...it seems that it flagged the profiles that it didn't recognize.

widescreenforever

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
arthurjulius
When you log into 2.4 and look under Tools/ registered Information. Your Reg number will bethere, having sucessfully logged in with ID and Password./ Log out close down. thenTake that old reg number over to new 3.0 and register as a New number then hit the blue link for registered past menbers and supply that number back. It should now give you access as renewed. It wioll also give you a new reg number that is 4 digits longer as your new ID .

widescreenforever

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
arthurjulius
quote: Yeah, but the program automatically flagged 17 of my DVD's before I started the app for the first time. I was wondering why it did that...it seems that it flagged the profiles that it didn't recognize.

Yes that's right,, I have a few movies burnt on DVD from TCM, and instead of using a UPC I use disc ID and they came up flagged as well for myself.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Little ignorant here, if I have more than the limit and features are taken off, how much worse or better is the new version for me in the free line. Will 3.0 be lesser than what I have? Is there an advantage to upgrading if I refuse to pay?

widescreenforever

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
arthurjulius

I'd say if you want to keep the free one stay with 2.5/ or .4 ..

The newer look will not benefit you you in any way but to just keep your dvd library normal and not have any of the fancy extras.

The 3.0 was devised for ,really, just the paid subscriptions only and will do you no harm in staying with the old.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I'll be running 3.0 side-by-side with Version 2.4 until 3.0 is completely totally stable & pretty bug free. ;)

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Time will tell, but I suspect that those sticking with 2.4/5 will quickly be looking for another product. Remember, 3.0 has it's own database. All of the active users who were major contributors have switched to 3.0. The old 2.4/5 database will have to be maintained by a set of users who couldn't be bothered to pay for the software. I'd say, long term, that was a pretty bad proposition. ;)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I had the same thing happen with over 40 of my titles. They seem to be titles I added via discID instead of UPC -- mostly contents of boxed sets, but also some travel DVD's (from the National Parks). The problem is that those titles do not appear when you select an actor to see which titles he/she appears in. Hopefully this is a bug that will be fixed soon.

I downloaded and installed DVD Profiler Mobile yesterday. It's pretty slick, and seems to work well for a 1.0 release. I have not paid to register yet, though, so it only synched 20 titles. It looks a lot nicer than the free Pocket PC Encoder XML application I've been using on my PDA, though, so I'll probably spring for the $19 registration fee.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Well, I think I may have found the problem. The Invelos database isn't as up to date as the InterVocative database.

For example, I have a World Series DVD that got flagged. I knew the InterVocative database recognized it, but the Invelos didn't.

I just tried a quick title serach in both versions. I searched for just "World Series" in InterVocative and got 15 hits, whereas the Invelos search yielded only 1 hit (the 2001 World Series). I'm also noticing that a bunch of my other discs, that were recognized with the old database, are not in the new one.

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
Wow DVDProfiler, haven't thought about that in ages, I registered and everything, I should dust it off and update my collection. Thanks for the heads up!

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
When I try to edit a title I get an error msg that says "cannot create file c:/oldprofile.xml" or something like that. Anyone else get this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks