What's new

DVD Players (1 Viewer)

CalvinC

Stunt Coordinator
First I would like to say that this is my first post, and that I really like this site! I have learned a lot by reading the posts on this site.
My question concerns DVD players and their compatibility with the DVD's. I read some posts concerning some dvd's that would not play on certain players (most recently the Holy Grail. Is this a common problem? Are there no industry standards for compatibility between software and players? And finally there was discussions concerning the upgrade of player itself. What does this involve and how expensive is it to do?
I have a Toshiba 2109 which I have owned for two years and never have encountered a problem, is that normal? I want to get the 'holy grail' but if it won't play on my machine I'll have to wait on this movie. Thanks for any information that you may provide!

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
DVD players work quite differently than, say, CD players. All CDs will play in all CD players (unless they are physically damaged). The DVD format, however, can be likened a bit more to a computer. Sometimes there are incompatibilities between the software (DVD) and the hardware (DVD player).
It is important to note that this is very rare, and the majority of people never have problems with their players. There have been occasions, however, where someone bumps into a problem. In the past, the manufacturer of the troubled player will provide a "firmware" update. This simply updates the operating software in the player, so that it may handle the new DVD.
The procedure for this varies from company to company but usually involves having the unit shipped out and it will be returned to you. If the player is under warranty, there is usually no charge, but if the warranty has expired, you will have to pay for the upgrade - usually a nominal charge.
----
Jeff
------------------
"They're coming to get you Barbara..."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks