What's new

DVD Player out or coming out that meets these standards... (1 Viewer)

Andrew Beckmen

Stunt Coordinator
1: 1080i upconversion via DVI

2: "scaling" of non-anamorphic WS DVDs

3: Zoom modes including some kind of negitive or "shrink" mode to defeat overscan without me immolating my TV by accident in the service menus

4: (features that I'd also like, but don't really NEED) Remote audio/subtitle toggling (my Toshiba SD-2800 won't change audio tracks on the fly, which is frustrating especially for features like on the Alien 20th Anniverary Cocoon scene where the only way you can access the commentary is to toggle the audio manually), whatever is needed to speed up disc reading for menus and stuff, simultaneous video/audio outputting through multiple cables (I use that with my Toshiba...so if I want to watch features with just TV sound (commentaries sound better with old-fasioned 2-speaker stereo IMO) I can, and can also tape DVDs as I watch them while viewing the DVD on S-Video and optical 5.1, but the tape is capturing the composite AV cables), A hole that will perform fellatio on me, pillarboxing so I can view 4:3 material with black bars, not grey on the sides of the screen, whatever else rules

Drew_W

Screenwriter
"whatever is needed to speed up disc reading for menus and stuff"

With an HTPC, if you go that route, you can always rip the DVD to an image on the HTPC hard drive and then play it off of that (mount image using daemon-tools or something similar which emulates the image actually being a dvd in a dvd drive). That'll remove any delay whatsoever, and the ripping tool of choice also has an option to remove user prohibitions...which means being able to NEXT through those retarded warnings where you're sometimes locked out of hitting next before some time passes, and removes other rules such as only being able to change the audio track from the menu...stuff like that.

And it remains legal as long as you have the DVD that the image was made off of for the period of time that the image exists.

(As an afterthought, you might also find playing off the hard drive rather than the DVD-ROM drive quieter...but that depends entirely on the hardware being used).

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
FWIW, I own the Zenith DVB318 and it's exceptional for an under $200 player. Upconverts via component or DVI.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
EricRWem, how does it handle non-anamorphic DVDs? How about usability? I have a Bravo D1 right now and I hate the fact that it has a hard power button rather than the ability to turn the player on with the play or eject button like most other DVD players. How about OSD? My Bravo will NOT show you time remaining on a DVD, only on the chapter. Etc. Argghhhh!

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
I fully recommend this with the DVB318: Set it to 16:9. Leave it there, forever, regardless of what you own.

I own an HD CRT, and for non anamorhpic, I sometimes I have to manually throw the TV to 4:3 to fix it. That's it.

I really couldn't be happier with the unit.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
How do you manually throw a 16:9 HDTV set into 4:3? I don't know any widescreen sets that do that.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
16:9 widescreen owners don't have that option - that makes the Zenith a poor choice for us unless they add a 4:3 pillarbox mode.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
I don't understand what the problem could be.

Many people with 16:9 sets have the Zenith DVB318 and couldn't be happier with it.

Non anamoprhic DVD's are being phased out and replaced anyways. I honestly wouldn't worry about it and I still recommend the player wholeheartedly.

Go to the avsforums and read some of those DVB318 threads in the DVD section to really get the feel for it. That FAQs thread that I authored should be helpful...

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
The tons of 1.33:1 material (pre 1953 movies and almost all television) is always going to be non-anamorphic at best, or MARred at worst.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
George is exactly right. There are tons of 4:3 material and will continue be released from classic movies to TV episode boxsets. Using a Faroudja-based player that can properly format 4:3 titles is ESSENTIAL, the Zenith unfortunately fails in this area. Its an important requirement for many of us.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Hmmmm.... glad I stuck with a 4:3 set. I guess I kind of "cheated" my way around that problem. Sorry to hear that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks