What's new

DVD Planet customer service recently going down hill? (1 Viewer)

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
After giving DVD Planet a final (hopeful) chance to get their act together, I decided to cancel, Friday (July 11), all my remaining pre-orders. A fear came over me that "Shanghai Knights" shown on the site as "IN STOCK" would not be delivered to me on time by the release date, Tuesday July 15. This fear, and the straw that broke the camels back, occurred when I realized that two more pre-orders, "Little Giants" & "Loose Cannons" that were both ordered in April, were not delivered yet. A timely manner would have had them in the mail and received by me on Tuesday, July 8. The web site showed them as "IN STOCK" as usual.

67 DVD's and a couple DVD-Audio disc were canceled.

On DVD Planet's site:
Unlike the competition we welcome your calls. We may be an online company but we recognize the fact that being able to call us is important so feel free. Our customer service reps are available from Monday thru Friday 7 a.m. to 9 p.m., Saturday 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. and Sunday 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. (all times PST).

* 1-800-624-3078 (Toll free from within the US and Canada)

* 1-714-892-2283 (All other inquiries)
My experience with the final call consisted of the usual "unusual amount of calls coming in" recording and then being put on hold. For the first approx. 30 minutes I was on hold, there was recorded music, interrupted regularly by recorded operator confirming my hold status, then there was no sound for the next approximately 30 minutes. I thought I may have been disconnected, but I decided to hold for at least an hour more, unless I got a busy signal or dial tone. Approximately an hour altogether went by when the phone was picked up and I heard breathing, I instinctively said HELLO, ARE YOU THERE? And the voice on the other end said Hello, this is Kyle, can I help you. (I assume this was Kyle Ocampo, the person I was told to e-mail with any problems I had from my original FAX at the top of this thread.)

I had to go through every title I had on pre-order and we did this twice - not to miss anything. No question was asked why I was doing this. (He probably remembered my name from the prior communication) No voices were raised and all anger and frustration from the ordeal was suppressed by me as if I hadn’t waited. We ended the conversation quite amiably.

As been said earlier on this thread, what's happening at DVD Planet seems strangely familiar to how it was with DVD EXPRESS, before they went bankrupt. Only God knows what's really going on there and he's not telling.

Personnally, I hope they get out from their problems soon as they do have a number of disc's that other sites don't seem to list.

Paul

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
To me the stocking problems started back in February when "Predator 2" was to be released. When release date came DVD Planet still listed as "coming soon". I actually canceled the pre-order while standing in Best Buy on release day. It later continued with several other releases including "Journey to the Center Of The Earth" & "Jonah: A Veggie Tales Movie". After that I became very skittish of pre-ordering from them. But the recent troubles are the straw that broke the camels back. Canceled any remaining orders(And that was a pain in the ass itself) and took my business elsewhere.

Plus with new releases anyway I usually get all my stuff from BestBuy.com. There are about $2-$4 cheaper on release date & I pay the same as if I went to the store itself. And I don't have to drag my fat butt up there either.

Joe

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Planet has been my 'backup' site for ordering, as I get all of my DVD's on-line, but lately I have found that my primary user - Empire - has not been carrying or has been out of stock on several items that I have wanted, and Planet has come through. I have Shanghai Knights and AKUS on the way to me now.

I got out of DVD Express long before they started to go downhill. I think carrying the VHS copy of Ep. 1 did it for me. I thought that was a very stupid move on their part, and I quickly put a curse on them.

I don't think that Planet is going this way, but I don't preorder anything months in advance. I make it about 4 weeks, at the most. Maybe that is why it works for me?!

Glenn

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
I received an email from DVDPlanet last weekend explaining the transfer over to a new ordering system and that they are having some problems with the upgrade. I believe that is what it said, i'm going by memory.

I'm sorry i don't the have the email right now, its on another computer. Maybe someone who has the email can post the text.

Though I don't use DVDPlanet often, i assume with the changes there will be some bumps in the road. I'm usually one to have patience with a company if they explain what issues they are having.

Paul

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well I haven't wiped them off my list, but I tried to order a movie from them today and couldn't get through (I always order by phone). So, I'm buying it at Best Buy tomorrow (a bit more expensive, but a bird in the hand...). So, there cutting back (if that's what it is) on phone service is only going to hurt them.

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey
For the record, my pre-orders for this week showed up from DVDPlanet in timely fashion, and the one e-mail I sent them was answered quickly and thoroughly. I don't know if this means everything is fully back to normal yet, but it certainly seems like a step in the right direction.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
I'm sorry i don't the have the email right now, its on another computer. Maybe someone who has the email can post the text.
Here is the text of the e-mail I received. Until I can get a better feel for what is going on, I'm staying away.

The e-mail as Paul requested:

DVDPLANET would like to take this time to thank you for your patience and understanding during the last few weeks. As you might know, we have recently upgraded our systems and relocated to a larger fulfillment center. With any major change, there are both expected and unexpected challenges to resolve. We want you to know that these changes were necessary and important changes that will allow us to serve you better. Our long-term growth will provide you with more options, more savings, and a higher level of service. Options such as "ship complete" and free shipping will soon be available.

We have been watching all processes more closely than usual to ensure proper handling of your orders. We anticipate that soon everything will be running smoothly, and we will once again be able to automate and streamline our procedures to eliminate these delays.

Our call volume has been higher than normal and we apologize if you have had difficulty contacting us. We have taken steps to improve our ability to handle your calls, but hold times may still be longer than usual. Please email us at [email protected] if you are unable to hold for a customer service representative. Most emails are answered within 48 hours.

We at DVDPLANET thank you for your continued support. We are working hard to resolve all issues as quickly as possible to ensure that you continue to receive the high level of service you have come to expect from DVDPLANET.

Sincerely,
DVDPLANET

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Well contrary to what I've said before, I just placed an order with DVD Planet. Both movies show as IN STOCK at the time of the order. So I'll see what happens now. If I have em by Monday, I'll be thrilled. If it gets screwed up, then it's hasta la vista baby for me with them.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well I have to admit that I am now about ready to give up on dvdplanet. They finally got into stock an obscure title that I've want that's been out of stock for months and months. So I called to order it. And I called, and I called, and I called. I tried calling once a day for a couple of weeks. I called sometimes at the beginning of the day, sometimes near the end, sometimes in the middle.

It didn't matter when I called, I was always placed on hold, and never got through no matter how long I waited. And of course, every time I was told that they were suffering an unusual high volume of customer calls.

Excuse my French, but bullshit. Weeks after the change over to a new system, they are overwhelmed with customers, week after week, every single day of the week, Monday through Sunday, from the moment they open til the moment they close? Bull. This isn't a matter of high customer volume, it's clearly a matter of unusually low customer service volume. In other words, it seems like they've decided to cut way back on the number of people they have to answer the phones. Either that, or they've just plain decided not to answer their phones anymore. As a customer who only orders by phone, this is unacceptable.

BTW, I did send them an email expressing my dissatisfaction and asking for an explanation. After a week, no response.

I see little point in trying to get through to place an order if they have no interest in taking it. Looks like my long association with them is going to come to an end, from their choice, not mine.

:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Iain Brown

Agent
I'm another one who has had enough of dvdplanet. I've been buying from them for for about 3-4 years now and over the last few months their service has been pathetic. From not shipping orders of in-stock items for several weeks to not responing to emails in a timely fashion. They also seem to have changed their international shipping carrier. I was recieving orders in about 8-9 days shipped here to Australia, now they are taking 19 plus days. I have given them a chance to get back in order but i'm afraid my days of ordering from them are over, they have just lost themselves another customer.

Joey Kelley

Auditioning
Add me to the growing list of dissatisfied customers.

While I have been a loyal DVDPlanet customer for the past three years, recent dealings have left me with a rather sour taste in my mouth.

It had been a few months since I had purchased from them, but after recieving two different e-mails from them assuring me that everything was back to normal, I decided to go ahead and order a few things that were on my wishlist with the $5 of $30 coupon that was included in their last e-mail.

On 7/18/03, I placed an order for Umberto D and Man Bites Dog, both of which were in stock at the time of my order. Both movies were shipped out on 7/22/03, and I received the invoice via e-mail the next day. I should probably note that while previous new releases that were ordered the Wednesday before release date usually arrived within one day of the actual street day, this order, which contained one 7/22/03 release, was not even shipped until street date. This really didn't bother me at the time, mainly because I've still got a ton of other movies that need to be watched.

Both movies were recieved on Saturday, 7/26/03. I noticed a few changes in the packaging from what I had been recieving. The box was smaller than usual, although it was still well packed. The only strange thing is the new shipping address. They have apparently moved from Las Vegas to a third-party fulfillment center located in Itasca, IL. No big deal, or so I thought.

I finally sit down to open the box, only to find that instead of Man Bites Dog and Umberto D, I have received Umberto D and an old Columbia release of All the King's Men. I quickly checked the included packing slip, only to find the two titles that were ordered listed, with a little check beside each one.

After getting over the initial disbelief, I called the toll-free number listed on the packing slip. After nearly 45 minutes waiting for someone to answer, I finally hung up. My next attempt at contacting someone about this mishap was through e-mail. With previous writings to DVDPlanet, a response was usually recieved within 24 hours. It's been over 72 hours now, and I have still yet to recieve a response. I tried reaching them via telephone on three occasions yesterday (7/28/03), waiting well over an hour and a half on one attempt, only to find that all lines were busy and that I would be helped by the next person available.

I sent another e-mail to DVDPlanet early this morning, and Outlook Express is showing that my mail has been received. In this letter, I once again explained my situation, and told them that if there was not an attempt to correct this problem within the next week, that I would be filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

It is extremely dissapointing when such a promising online company decides to ignore their customer. I am hoping that this matter will be resolved in a timely manner, mainly because I thoroughly enjoy shoppping with DVDPlanet.

I will update this post as soon as I have received some sort of response from DVDPlanet, whether by phone or e-mail.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
After my last two orders, I think I'll quit DVDplanet. I preordered my Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 4 with them, and I didn't receive it until the 18th of July. First problem is that they used the excuse of "switching" over to a new system. Second problem is they claimed my debit card was rejected. That's bullshit because I'm using the same card I have on file with them, and I had plenty of money for payment.

I made two orders with them on the 18th and 19th, and I still have no clue what's the deal with my orders.

that I would be filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau
From what I've read, I'd do the same thing if I knew how to do it.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
With so many customers calling them all day long, day after day, week after week, it's hard to believe that they have any dvds left in stock. :rolleyes

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Yesterday, 7/30/03, I noticed a new link on DVD Planets home page, "New Service Hours" .

It takes you to the "contact us" page and they added:
we have altered our customer service hours to better assist you during peak hours.[/b][/u] Our customer service reps are available Monday thru Friday 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Saturday 9 a.m. - 2 p.m. and Sunday closed (all times are PST).
Today is only 7/31/03, so I wonder what difference 8/3/03 will make?:rolleyes:Service hours are the same.:confused:

Paul

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Service hours are the same.
Are you positive about that? I could've sworn they closed at a later hour of 8 pm on the weekdays. I remember calling real late around 10:00pm EST to try to get a hold of them (didn't connect until 10:45, but I luckily had a hands-free phone and Warcraft III :) ).

It just seems strange there are less hours now.

Oh well, time to fire up the email.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
My Bad.:b Just checked on the first page of this thread where I quoted the hours on July 13:
Monday thru Friday 7 a.m. to 9 p.m., Saturday 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. and Sunday 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. (all times PST).
So "to better assist you during peak hours" their going to close two hours earlier Monday thru Friday. Four hours earlier Saturday and no hours on Sunday (when they used to be open seven hours).

It adds insult to injury why DVD Planet can't just tell the truth about what really is going on there. Gee - all they really had to do was answer the phone!

Is Ken Crane still the owner? Someone needs to send him the address of this thread. :emoji_thumbsup:

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
While I would be the last one to defend this company, it is possible that if they have cut back the budget for csrs, that having them work fewer hours means there would be more available to answer the phone at any given time. However, with the way things are going now, it most likely means that instead of one person to answer all their calls during their current hours, there will now be a couple hours during the day when two people are answering the phone. So, while technically this cut back in hours might indeed 'better assist' customers (if only very, very marginally), they would be much better served by hiring more people to answer the phone than cutting back the number of hours.

Users who are viewing this thread