What's new

DVD LCD Roof mount which one to get? (1 Viewer)

KyleS

Screenwriter
I didnt want to Hijack Michaels thread so I am starting another to hopefully get more specific information for my situation. I have a 2003 Honda CRV EX that I want to put a DVD unit in for my kids to have something to watch on a cross country drive that we have coming up in a month. What units should I look at?

I am a little worried about installation of one due to my Sun-roof that slides into the frame of the ceiling, but I have a good friend that owns a car stereo installation shop that says this will not be a problem. (www.soundsational.com)

He only carries a couple brands but said that he can get ahold of anything that I am interested in. I would like to stay below 1400 if possible. I would be looking at between a 6" and 10" display that is good quality and has a nice viewing angle so that both sides of the rear seat will not have a problem looking at it. He showed me a couple of units by a manufacture that I cant remember that were an all in 1 design with the DVD player built into the ceiling mounted unit. My kids are 2 and a newborn so having wireless headphones at this time is not important (my son wouldnt wear them right now) but in the future they will use them.

What are the brands that I should stay away from and more importantly what are the ones that I should specifically look at or get? Is it better to buy a display with a seperate DVD player? There just isnt a lot of room to put the DVD player under a seat or in the Glove Box although I am sure that it can be done. MY friend was showing me a 7" and 8" display but should I get something a little bigger like a 10 or 13"?

Any help that you guys can offer is greatly appreciated especially since I will need to make a decision in the real near future. Note that I will not be doing the installation I dont want to mess with the roof of my new car but I will just have my friend who owns the stereo company do the install.

KyleS

brentl

Senior HTF Member
If you're only looking at using it on long trips I'd look at "in a bag" soluting.

That way you can remove everything when you leave the vehicle. It even means you can plug in where you stay..

Brent

KyleS

Screenwriter
No we are taking a long trip and that is why we could use it in our vehicle but I think that it would be a great idea to entertain the kids while we a rolling down the road.

KyleS

brentl

Senior HTF Member
This
is what I was thinking of.
I see your point, you would like to use it even on short trips right?

Brent

KyleS

Screenwriter
Yeah exactly I think that it could come in extremely handy over the next 5+ years. I am actually looking at these units. www.rosenentertainment.com

This way when my kids get a little older we can also hook up a Video Console and entertain them on shorter drives of 1-4 hours with a movie.

KyleS

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Since this is for noncritical viewing why not try to get a couple of hearest monitors and DVD (player??

It sure would make a nice little project that you could do yourself in a weekend.

PLUS, it would impress your friends.

Brent
I forget where I saw a package that had 2 monitors, a dvd player and headphones for $850.

Brent

KyleS

Screenwriter
I thought about going with the Dual monitors in the headsets but with installation charges and nice monitors its a more expensive way to go. I would love to try and install it myself but if I were to mess up while doing the installation 1) my wife would kill me and 2) if she didnt completely kill my I would have to kill myself after having to listen to her bitch at me all the time for Screwing up in the first place.

KyleS

brentl

Senior HTF Member
See what the cost is for aftermarket headrests and try in in there first..

If you've ever installed a stereo this shouldn'tbe much harder.

Brent

KyleS

Screenwriter
For quality headrest replacements it is about 300 per seat plus the deck to control each is around $250-300. So thats around 1200 and I would still need to get the wiring and harnesses to go with it so I would be right about at the same price. My friend is giving me a really good deal on the installation and price of the units so I really cant complain. I have checked everywhere online for the Rosen units (which are considered by many installers that I have talked to as some of the best) and he is giving me almost cost. I will have to upload some pictures once we get the unit installed.

KyleS

Wes Nance

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

Just saw this thread.

I hang out the in Honda Odyssey forum, where 50+ people have installed their own dvd systems, as did I.

I installed a 9" widescreen model F90WIR by a company called ICON

This unit with the ICON DVD100 sub din dvd player and 3 wireless headphones cost around $800, and the quality is superb.

Everyone that has seen the screen is amazed. It's better than my Sony wega tv as far as image quality.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Wes Nance

Something is fishy, Wes. Icon shows a list of $1999 just for the monitor, which seems quite high? Can you elaborate a little on the prices?
Thanks,
Mike

ScottATL

Stunt Coordinator
I'd recommend the all-in-one unit. I'll be putting one in my Nissan around Christmas time and will be using Farenheit Elite.

Check your mail for some good info.

KyleS

Screenwriter
Well I ended up getting the NecVox RE9269D 9" WideScreen model about 1 month ago just before our drive cross country. All I have to say is that it was one of the best purchases that I have ever made because it kept my 2 year old boy entertained on the long drive when he was tired of reading his books. I also got 2 wireless headphones for when he and his brother are a little older. For anyone that is interested in getting a player I would have to recommend the NecVox brand. Excellent player with a very bright and brilliant screen with good anti-skip.

KyleS

Users who are viewing this thread