What's new

Directors DVD Enthusiast Poll - For fun ;-) (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
1. How many single-disc DVDs do you own?

2. How many multi-disc (movie) DVDs do you own?

3. How many TV shows on DVD (single or multi-disc) do you own?

4. About how many DVD items (single and multi-disc) do you buy a month?

5a. Where (B & M) do you buy most of your DVDs?

5b. Where (online) do you buy most of your DVDs?

6. What "genre" of DVDs are most prevalent in your collection?

7a. Which DVD distributor is your favorite and why?

7b. Which DVD distributor is your least favorite and why?

8. Up to this point, have you spent what you consider "a large amount of money" on your Home Theater?

9. What is your favorite type of DVD Special Feature?

10. What is one DVD that you think everyone should own?

11. Are you concerned that DVD will become 'old news' when a newer format is introduced?

12. No OAR = No Sale : Agree or disagree?

13. Of all the movies as yet unavailable on DVD, what is the one you'd most like to see released?

14. Of all the TV series as yet unavailable on DVD, what is the one you'd most like to see released in a "season set" format?

15. How many DVD players do you own?

16. What us the brand/model of your primary DVD player?

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
1. How many single-disc DVDs do you own? Approx 153

2. How many multi-disc (movie) DVDs do you own? Approx 86

3. How many TV shows on DVD (single or multi-disc) do you own? 9 - 24, Sopranos, Band of Brothers, Simpsons, Futurama, Family Guy, X Files, The Tick, Sex and the City (it was given to me).

4. About how many DVD items (single and multi-disc) do you buy a month? Probably around 5-10

5a. Where (B & M) do you buy most of your DVDs? Video Ezy (Local DVD Library)

5b. Where (online) do you buy most of your DVDs? Amazon.com – 90% of my DVD’s

6. What "genre" of DVDs are most prevalent in your collection? Dunno, maybe comedy – Fairly varied

7a. Which DVD distributor is your favorite and why? New Line, they release top notch Video/Audio transfers with excellent extras - Criterion would be, but some of their earlier DVD releases were a little below average. If my decision was based only on film quality they would get my vote.

7b. Which DVD distributor is your least favorite and why? Artisan, a good quality DVD is rare

8. Up to this point, have you spent what you consider "a large amount of money" on your Home Theater? Yes

9. What is your favorite type of DVD Special Feature? Commentary tracks (by Directors and DP’s)

10. What is one DVD that you think everyone should own? Pulp Fiction Collector’s Edition

11. Are you concerned that DVD will become 'old news' when a newer format is introduced? Nah.

12. No OAR = No Sale : Agree or disagree? Agree

13. Of all the movies as yet unavailable on DVD, what is the one you'd most like to see released? Ed Wood

14. Of all the TV series as yet unavailable on DVD, what is the one you'd most like to see released in a "season set" format? None, not all that interested in TV Product and what does interest me has been released.

15. How many DVD players do you own? 3

16. What us the brand/model of your primary DVD player? Panasonic RP-82

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales

Uh, a shitload. (I'd say around 700)

Less than 100.

Too damn many (at least 1 or 2 a week).

Best Buy.

DVDPlanet, DeepDiscountDVD, Amazon (in that order).

Classics & Foreign.

Criterion - 'nuff said.

Artisan = mostly crap.

8. Up to this point, have you spent what you consider "a large amount of money" on your Home Theater?

Hell no. :frowning:

Commentaries.

The Third Man

11. Are you concerned that DVD will become 'old news' when a newer format is introduced?

Yes. :frowning:

Edit: I mean agree.

13. Of all the movies as yet unavailable on DVD, what is the one you'd most like to see released?

The Magnificent Ambersons

14. Of all the TV series as yet unavailable on DVD, what is the one you'd most like to see released in a "season set" format?

Not sure.

One.

Toshiba 3109

Scott, you need to make a pick in the League draft. :)

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
I have about 200 movie DVDs total. By multi-disc, do you mean box sets, or stuff like Moulin Rouge?

13: Alias, Angel, Buffy, Futurama, Mr. Show, Monty Python, The Prisoner, Sex and the City, Simpsons, South Park, Twin Peaks, X-Files, Young Ones

3-6

Best Buy

Amazon

none

I honestly don't pay much attention (except for Criterion of course)

Ehhh... not really.

Used to be audio commentary, but lately I prefer a 30-60 minute documentary

I don't think there is such a thing.

Sort of. It doesn't keep me up at night.

Agree, unless it was absolutely certain that it would never be released OAR

El Norte

Night Flight, but since that is pretty much impossible, I'll say Dr. Katz

1, plus 3 DVD-ROMs

Pioneer 333

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian

I was counting them one-by-one on my DVD Profiler page, but then I lost count. Too lazy to start up again.

34 2-disc sets, 5 box sets.

6 box sets, 4 single-discs.

I'd say about 3 or 4 on an average month.

Best Buy and Circuit City

I've yet to purchase a DVD online.

Animated films, I guess.

Either Fox or Disney. Why? Simple. They make consistently high-quality DVDs of films/shows I love.

Don't really have a least favorite.

A lot of money for me, but definitely not a lot compared to most people here.

A comprehensive documentary that feels like a film of its own rather than just a fluff piece. A good example is "The Beginning" from The Phantom Menace DVD and the various featurettes on Fellowship of the Ring: Extended Edition.

I think everyone should give FOTR: EE a shot. It's practically perfect, IMHO.

No. I may be in the minority, but I don't think HD-DVD (or whatever it'll be called) will be the huge leap that the transition from VHS to DVD was.

Agree.

Star Wars: Episodes IV, V and VI (sorry, couldn't pick just one). It doesn't matter to me if it's the original versions or the SEs or the rumored Archival Editions. I just want to see them again.

Seinfeld is the first that comes to mind, but there are many others...

Two, counting my PS2.

Sony DAV S300 Compact AV System (yes, it's a HT-in-a-box, and no, I'm not ashamed of it)

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Seinfeld is the first that comes to mind, but there are many others...
Ehh, what was I thinking. I don't know how I forgot that its one of my 3 all time favorite TV shows. :)

I counted one by one in DVD Profiler as well, and lost my count about 3 times.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
1. & 2. How many DVDs do you own?
Profiler says I have 478 total so I'll go by that I guess. I'm too lazy to figure out the particulars

3 Anime shows if those count. I'm really not into TV on DVD

Depends on the month. Heavier months like Sept/Oct could average 20+. Slower months like Jan/Feb could be 2/3 per month

Best Buy but only for brand new releases. They're shit for new catalog releases.

Digitaleyes for new to DVD catalog titles

I have tons of genre films but no single genre in particular stands out

Warner, Criterion, Paramount, Fox. As long as they deliver a quality product I'm happy.

Artisan - because they just suck. Universal - because they have their head up their ass when it comes to their older catalog titles

Let's say that I've spent enough to make me satisfied for now

A well made introspective documentary. I can do without the HBO fluff making of - behind the scenes crap.

There is none. Buy what you like, will watch more than once and are happy with.

No

Agree 100%

King Kong

I've already stated that I'm really not into TV on DVD yet I might be tempted with Star Trek (Original Series) season sets.

2 - 1 for the HT & the other for the bedroom

Pioneer on both. I'm too lazy to get up and look at the model number. The HT player is a progressive scan.

ErikG

Senior HTF Member
1. How many single-disc DVDs do you own? Approx 250

2. How many multi-disc (movie) DVDs do you own? Approx 20

3. How many TV shows on DVD (single or multi-disc) do you own? 7

4. About how many DVD items (single and multi-disc) do you buy a month? 3-4

5a. Where (B & M) do you buy most of your DVDs? Best Buy and Fry's

5b. Where (online) do you buy most of your DVDs? Deep Discount DVD and Amazon

6. What "genre" of DVDs are most prevalent in your collection? Horror and Teen Comedies

7a. Which DVD distributor is your favorite and why? Anchor Bay--great horror titles

7b. Which DVD distributor is your least favorite and why? Criterion-too damn expensive

8. Up to this point, have you spent what you consider "a large amount of money" on your Home Theater? No

Commentary

10. What is one DVD that you think everyone should own? Fast Times at Ridgemont High

11. Are you concerned that DVD will become 'old news' when a newer format is introduced? Nah

12. No OAR = No Sale : Agree or disagree? agree for the most part, unless were talking about an all-time favorite of mine, I'll buy it no matter what.

13. Of all the movies as yet unavailable on DVD, what is the one you'd most like to see released? Corvette Summer

14. Of all the TV series as yet unavailable on DVD, what is the one you'd most like to see released in a "season set" format? Beverly Hills 90210

15. How many DVD players do you own? 2

16. What us the brand/model of your primary DVD player? Sony DVP-S560D

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
1 & 2. How many DVDs do you own? 203

3. How many TV shows on DVD (single or multi-disc) do you own? 12

4. About how many DVD items (single and multi-disc) do you buy a month? Not many, unfortunately. Maybe one or two if I'm lucky.

5b. Where (online) do you buy most of your DVDs? Amazon

6. What "genre" of DVDs are most prevalent in your collection? Horror, with 36%. Suspense/Thriller comes in next with 17%.

7a. Which DVD distributor is your favorite and why? Anchor Bay(26% of my collection), primarily because of value and selection.

7b. Which DVD distributor is your least favorite and why? Probably Paramount, due to lack of content on catalog releases.

8. Up to this point, have you spent what you consider "a large amount of money" on your Home Theater? No

9. What is your favorite type of DVD Special Feature? If you don't count Director's Cuts as special features, it'd have to be commentaries.

10. What is one DVD that you think everyone should own? If there are indeed DVDs everybody should own I probably don't. :D

11. Are you concerned that DVD will become 'old news' when a newer format is introduced? Not as long as I can still play my DVDs.

12. No OAR = No Sale : Agree or disagree? Agree, though I've broken this rule a couple times.

13. Of all the movies as yet unavailable on DVD, what is the one you'd most like to see released? Scarecrows

14. Of all the TV series as yet unavailable on DVD, what is the one you'd most like to see released in a "season set" format? Only long running series I can think of is Thundercats. Short lived ones would be The Legend Of Zelda and VR5.

15. How many DVD players do you own? One

16. What us the brand/model of your primary DVD player? Sony DVP-S360

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
6. Drama

7a. (tie) Criterion - mostly great title selections. Warner Bros. - consistently great transfers on new releases, perhaps the best, and solid catalog support. Fox - Studio Classics releases and solid treatment of new releases. Paramount - Consistently good transfers and excellent catalog releases ( in terms of numbers and variety. )

7b. Universal - As Jim said they have their heads up their asses when it comes to their catalog. A few titles have trickled out, but their current output is pathetic given their deep catalog, and all of the older Paramount titles they control. Of course, they'd rather sell you another f**king version of Animal House or American Pie instead of mining their catalog. Easily the worst support for older catalog titles of the majors.

9. Commentary tracks.

10. It's A Wonderful Life

11. No way.

12. Agree, but will make an exception for a very strong favorite film. Remo Williams and Chariots of Fire come to mind.

13. Since Once Upon A Time In the West will be out in less than a month, I guess I'll go with Night and the City (1950).

14. Kung Fu

- Walter.

Chris Moe

Screenwriter

I have about 185 discs, don't know how many are double or single discs.

See above

Two. Twin Peaks and Band of Brothers

Probably about 10-12

Amoeba and Rasputin's (local places that sell used) and Best Buy for new stuff.

Deepdiscountdvd.com

Pretty varied.

Probably New Line.

No idea. Maybe Criterion solely because of price.

Yes.

Commentaries

Avia or similar test disc.

Not really.

Agree

Star Wars I-IV

Twin Peaks season two :)

3, Pioneer 45A, Desktop computer (great for listening to commentary tracks while surfing the web) and a HTPC.

Currently it is the Pioneer 45A. But it will be demoted to SACD/DVD-A only once my HTPC is up and running.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks