What's new

DVD databases for Handheld devices? (1 Viewer)

BradG

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know about the rest of you, but I have been in the habit of databasing my DVD collection (and VHS before it) in my computer (Microsoft Access) in order to track and be able to print out listings of movies alphabetically, by genre, even by actor.

However, I find that whenever I print out a list (which can run 40 pages), it is out of date within a week.

So, I was thinking that a good option would be to have a personal handheld device which stores all the info and can be updated (directly or by the computer) with new movies purchased. This way, there is no wasting of paper and the list can always be kept up to date. A side benefit would be that the handheld device could be used for other applications besides the movie database.

Is this possible? I know little of these devices - I do know they have versions of word and excel, but not of access. I suppose one could export an access file to a word file for the device, but that wouldn't be as good as some sort of database on the device itself.

Has anyone attempted something like this? It would seem pretty cool to be able to hand a visitor a PDA and get him or her to review and select a movie to watch from the device instead of an out of date binder.

Mike Brantley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Brantley
I do it, but I'm almost certain my solution isn't the most elegant! You see my desktop DVD database program is DVD Profiler for Windows, which is not available for Mac, and I only have Mac computers. So I run DVD Profiler using a PC emulation program. When I want my DVD list in my Palm Pilot, I export the database from DVD Profiler running under PC emulation. Then I import key fields (title, director studio, etc.) for the DVDs into a native FileMaker database I set up on the Mac. Then I export to FileMaker Mobile on the Palm.

Sort of a long way around, I know, but it only takes me a few minutes to do all these steps every week or so or whenever I'm going DVD shopping and want an up-to-date list in my Palm.

John_Witt

Auditioning
I use ThinkDB. It has a conduit to Microsoft Access and is pretty simple to use. I know there are a few others also available. Check out palmgear.com.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I keep mine in an excel file and use DocumentsToGo to transfer it intact. The nice thing is I can change it on the road and update my home version whenever I want.

The ThinkDB should also work well for your situation.

BradG

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I can now give my wife and idea of what to buy me for Xmas - she always complains I am impossible to buy for!

I'm thinking the Palm M515 handheld looks like a good choice, with expandable memory, it should handle my current and future movie database just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks