What's new

DVD concerts?! (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
A couple not mentioned that provide16x9 anamorphic video, along with excellent DTS 5.1 audio and superb performances:

Peter Frampton -- Live In Detroit
Diana Krall -- Live From Paris

My other favorites already mentioned are Springsteen and Eagles HFO. Other full frame video conferences with fine soundstracks and performances not mentioned include:

Roy Orbison and Friends -- Black & White Night
Fleetwood Mac -- The Dance
Eric Clapton -- Unplugged

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Jimi Hendrix Monterey Pop DTS

George Benson Absolutely Live DTS

Sade Live

Keb'Mo' At Sessions West 54th

Public Enemy "Live At The House Of Blues" DTS

JerryLA

Stunt Coordinator
Hell Freezes Over / The Eagles Best Overall
Sting / All This Time
Santana / Supernatural

And I hope......
The Beatles / Anthology

Jack Dotson

Agent
I've got a pretty decent collection of about 40 DVD concerts so far. Here are some really good ones that I have not seen mentioned:

Jazz:
Norah Jones - Live in New Orleans
Rod Stewart - It Had To Be You

Rock/Pop:
Depeche Mode - Exciter Tour
Roy Orbison - Black and White
Bee Gee's - One Night Only
Fleetwood Mac - The Dance
Eric Clapton - One More Car, One More Ride
Sting - Brand New Day
Alice Cooper - Naturally live
Elton John - One Night Only

George Straight - Live from the Astrodome

I also have a question for those of you who have the Springsteen Live in New York. Do you get to see the concert uninterrupted or do they break in with interviews, behind the scenes, etc.

I want this concert, but I only buy the ones that show the entire concert. There are allot of concerts I want to get, but I hate it when they break into the concert to the interviews, etc.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Do you get to see the concert uninterrupted or do they break in with interviews, behind the scenes, etc.
It's not the concert provided in the original running order - it edits the setlist and manipulates it - but no interviews or extraneous crap appear during the performances. I agree with you - I like to see interviews or backstage as an EXTRA, but not in between or DURING songs. (Hello, Back in the US!)

cwhite

Second Unit
Deja VROOOM by King Crimson. It's one of the few DVDs to really take advantage of the mult-camera angle features and
unique 5.1 audio mixes.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Eric Clapton - Live in Hyde Park: DTS

I actually prefer this show to the "Unplugged" show. If you are a Clapton fan and don't have this one, you should be slapped! If you are a Stevie Ray Vaughn fan you should also have "Live At The El Mocambo", acoustically it doesn't compare to most of the ones mentioned in the thread but it may be his best performance captured on video!

I also second the Diana Krall and Peter Frampton titles mentioned by Scott.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Some of my favorites

Blue Öyster Cult - Long Day's Night

Pavement - The Slow Century (besides a great documentary and every music video Pavement ever did there are three concerts on this two disc set)

Portishead - Live in NYC

The Complete Monterey Pop

Pink Floyd at Pompeii (it was supposed to come out this month)

The Who Live at the Isle of Wight (great version on Young Man Blues) and 30 Years of Maximum R&B (and The Kids Are Alright if it ever comes out).

The Beatles Anthology

Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsies, Woodstock, and Isle of Wight

Beach Boys - Endless Harmony (I just found out that the previous documentary, An American Band, has come out as a two-fer with Brian Wilson "I Wasn't Made For These Times). Both Beach Boys documentaries have rare concert footage. American Dream has them in Prague circa 1968 doing a killer version of Break Away.

also the free DVDs that came with Queens of The Stone Age (Songs For the Deaf), Bob Dylan (Live 1975), System of a Down (Toxicity), and The White Stripes (White Blood Cells).

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I second Iron Maiden: Rock in Rio!! :)

Amazing DTS and DD 5.1, good set list and a few amusing extras.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I just picked up The Beach Boys American Band/Brian Wilson I Just Wasn't Made For These Times 2-fer and it's great. It has full performances not on Endless Harmony.

I also got Echo & The Bunnymen Live in Liverpool which is also great. I had hope DO It Clean was on it but since they always do it with someone else's song as part of the jam I suspect it was cut due to rights issue.

(I also naturally bought The Beatles Anthology).

Ted_b

Auditioning
* Peter Gabriel - Secret World Live DVD (yeah the video is grainy, but get over it. The music is what it's all about, and in DTS its done very very well)

* Roy Orbison- Black and White Night (The DTS soundtrack is great, the band is incredible and includes Springsteen, Elvis Costello, Tom Waits, Jackson Browne, JD Souther, Bonnie Raitt, Jennifer Warnes, etc. Hey, the video here is a bit grainy, too. Maybe I'm into grainy vid)

* King Crimson - Deja Vroom (yes, DTS and you guessed it, grainy video)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks