What's new

DVD Audio (1 Viewer)

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Is it possible to have a HTPC set up that can play DVD audio discs?

I think that the new Audigy2 cards will allow you to do this, but does nayone know of software out there now?

I am currently running an SB Audigy card, and really don't need to go out and get yet an other multi speaker card.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I have heard, as in I haven't tried, that you could use any DVD player program and have it spit out the signal over the s/pdif cable for the DD5.1. it should play the audio with just a blank picture. I don't know about the audigy cards but I see no reason why it wouldn't work to at least some good degree with them.

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Thanks guys, I guess I was looking for an application, or the ability to read/decode the native DVD audio format.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
uhm, computer DVD players that I know of that are pretty good are powerDVD and winDVD. they should work great for your needs.

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
WinDVD plays DVDAudio format? Really? I will have to check out the site, as I have the platinum version of WinDVD.

Thanks

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
yeah, I believe that your standard DVD player programs will do the DVDaudio. . . and Jeff mentioned that there is usually a video side of the audio so it should work.

TyC

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, I believe the only way to enjoy hi-res DVD-A on the PC is with Creative's proprietary software.

GaryEW

Auditioning
As far as I know the only DVD Audio format capable software solution is the Creative software with the Audigy2 sound card. M-Audio is supposed to be working on DVD Audio software for their Revolution 7.1 sound card, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Brae

Supporting Actor
Interesting thread! My computer has an Abit IT7 motherboard with on-board 6-channel audio. But, if I did not wish to 'process' the bitstream and simply use the optical output on the motherboard could I pipe this into my Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX using a managed optical input?

Essentially, I suppose this comes down to a condition similar to the optical output streams of a standalone DVD lpayer not using internal processing, or like my satellite receiver.

There has to be some sort of mechanism, though, to get the DVD lpayer to actually START playing the drive with just a DVD-A disk ni the drive, and this is what puzzles me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks