What's new

DVD-Audio compatible connection question (1 Viewer)

Just curious about the DVD-Audio Compatible players and how they are hooked up through my Denon 3802 receiver.

It is my understanding that you need to connect the DVD player to the Receiver via both audio connections (digital for Movies and the 5.1 analog outputs for the DVD-Audio). Then you make the adjustment in the DVD Player setup menu on how the audio is transmitted to the receiver. Is this correct? Also are there special plugs that need to be used for the DVD-audio connection?

I don't own one, yet, but will be purchasing in the near future.

Thanks in advance.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
DVD-A is transported ONLY via the multi-channel analog outputs. No "special" plugs, just a bunch of analog cables using standard RCA connectors. Your receiver must also have multi-channel analog inputs (5.1/6.1) for multi-channel playback.

DVDs may output either via the multi-channel analog or digital connections, preferably digital which will allow the receiver to do all the processing and bass management (the receiver typically does a better job, but that depends on the quality of the player).

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Chris, to build on John's point, most DVD-Audio players have both Dolby Digital and DTS decoders built in, so you can use the 5.1-channel outputs on the player for everything. Since you have to use the 5.1-channel outputs for DVD-Audio, it makes sense for the manufacturers to give you the option of using them for movies too. However, I would try movies with both the 5.1-channel and digital outputs to see which connection gives you better sound.

So, to my understanding, you have to hook up the multi-channel analog connections to be able to listen to DVD-Audio and it then it comes down to listening preference regarding movie sound and which audio output (multi-channel vs digital) should be used?

I was just looking at a Denon DVD-Audio compatible player just to gain an understanding of the appropriate set-up and I noticed that they only have 5.1 external multi-channel outputs and nothing for the 6.1 sound (Surround Back Left & Right) for most models. I thought that was interesting considering the external multi channel inputs on most of their receiver's have the extra 6.1 input. Do any DVD players out there have that extra channel output?

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
So, to my understanding, you have to hook up the multi-channel analog connections to be able to listen to DVD-Audio and it then it comes down to listening preference regarding movie sound and which audio output (multi-channel vs digital) should be used?
Not quite that simple. Your receiver will have advantages over the 5.1 outs of the DVD-A/SACD player. Better bass management, time alignment (delay), and matrixed additional rear channels to name a few. Also, it may just plain sound better. Curiously, my pre/pro does a noticably better job on straight 5.1 from DTS and DD sources than my (somewhat high end for a) DVD-A player.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My receiver has 7.1 inputs, but I have yet to see a source that has 6.1 or 7.1 analog outputs. For 6.1/7.1 today, you will have to use a digital connection and a receiver with 6.1/7.1 capability.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Chris,

No DVD players do 6.1 or 7.1 decoding. As John said, use a digital cable for such decoding, if your receiver offers it. Also, DVD-Audio is only a 5.1-channel format at present.

Philip,

Good point about the other advantages of allowing the receiver to perform decoding for movies. Aside from the potential of better sound, many receivers are more flexible than DVD players.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks