What's new

DVD-Audio: A Booming Format? Or Is It Floundering? (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I've been wanting to collect some "Pop Music" titles on the DVD-Audio format for some time now. But every time I check Amazon.com for new titles, I see the very same 51 Titles that have been listed there since early 2002. (And only 10 "Pop" titles.)

Seems mighty strange to me that the DVD-A industry hasn't accelerated and grown more than it has. It certainly hasn't seen the success of its sister format, DVD-Video.

Any thoughts on the future of DVD-A? Will it fizzle or grow bigger eventually?

I currently have just one DVD-Audio disc, and it is very nice. Great sound, plus some limited video material too.

I'd like to get some others, but the current "proverbial 51" titles I keep seeing don't interest my tastes.

Have ANY new DVD-Audio discs come out recently? And can someone provide a non-Amazon site that sells more than just those 51 discs?

Thanks for any help/info.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
There are a little less than 800 titles available.

Places like Acoustic Sounds and Elusive Disc carry a large number of titles.

For a discounted price, try DVD Planet and DVD Empire.

Cheers,

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

Right now it is floundering but I see that it may be able to pick up some momentum if DualDisc is marketed properly. The key is probably twofold: Warner needs to signal their commitment by offering more titles and the major labels need to participate in a big launch event.

So far neither seems to be happening but I guess they could be in the planning stages.

As far as pop goes, if you like Steely Dan then pick up their DVDAs. I especially like Everything Must Go. My friend Steve Guttenberg, the audio critic not the actor ;), tells me that he likes Tommy on DVDA. I have the SACD only but it is superb as well.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Both SACD and DVD-A are floundering because there's very little demand for it.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

Good point. I would also add that audiophile sales for SACD remain incredibly strong. For a niche, one might argue that SACD is doing alright.

AricB

Second Unit
what type of music do you like and what disc do you have? there was a thread last week where someone asked for suggestions, I'd look through that or I can make some suggestions based on what you like?

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I'd buy them if I didn't need to add a TV to my stereo system to use it. The whole idea is about as funked-up as a football bat.

SACD at least is an all-music format. And I like that most of it is still the oriiginal stereo and not a bad 5.1 hack-job (although these do exist).

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D

I only have DVD-A titles but I would only buy a SACD title if it were 5.1 (like DSOTM). granted some 5.1's suck ass like the Staind DVD-A what a horrible mix.

Ive recently purchased the Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road DVD-A before the holiday. that was mixed pretty well. not over done, but not cheesy. Sounds excellent, Im happy, even though it was over-priced.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Boy, boys, no shaggin' each others formats of choice! Pointless! We've rehearshed that scene on this forum 1001 times already!

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Good referee job Rachael :D Both formats are niche. SACD has more non-major label support (as Sony has basically released next to nothing as of recent times) and has geared itself more towards the audiophile. If they want to go more mass market they'll need to get current and new releases out the door on a regular basis. I, myself, prefer 2-channel most of the time, although when multi-channel is done to my taste I really like it. I use to hold off buying more CDs waiting for the hi-rez version. I've resigned to buy the music of my choice regardless of format.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

Same here.

In these days of multichannel discussion, I think there is a tendency to recognize that good 2 channel can sound just as enveloping a 5.1.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Hay! I'm a uni, you're a uni, 'n everybody on the terran plane can be a uni too! ;) That last tune was dedicated to you Phil!:)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Lee, I heard a good example of that last night on the new Jacintha album. Some of the vocals on the M/C track seem small, in soundfield, whilst the stereo of same always had a bigger sound for the vocals. Some cuts were more similar. I ended up playing them all both ways. It's a good enough album to make that palatable too, IMO.

2 nit'e M/C fare bee ze Flaming Lips, I did the CD last eve whence I first did rip the cellophane fromst yawnst twin disc package. The DVD-A should be fun this eve when the moon wanes!

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

I'm a huge fan of stereo, but I doubt any stereo mix (even with Q-sound or other trickery) can have the entire soundstage revolving around your head like on The Flaming Lips' "Do You Realize".

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Lee, I'd put her bossa nova effort in the middle of the pack. I wish she'd of sought out a few more less high profile tunes. 8 of her 10 are by Jobim. I thought she sang OK in Portuguese. Judging by her AUTMN LEAVES, French is her 2nd language, or one of 'em?

If you want to hear Jacintha tear up some Leon Russell tunes, get the album she made with Jeremy Monterio Trio. It also has the coolest packaging in SA-CD history. It looks like a Valentine gift that doesn't particularly even need to be wraped.

I'd say Jacintha IS HER NAME is her best album with AUTUN LEAVES a close second. I've heard them all...:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks