What's new

DVD-A Specifications (1 Viewer)

Lance: Fascinating stuff, especially the audiophile audition site. Got to purchase a few of those and check them out.

I am especially amazed that some of the old 70's quad masters are being reissued. Talk about mining!

I recently purchased a year's worth of 1970 High Fidelity magazines. Great read. Classical is dead, whither multi-channel sound, rock encourages drug use, etc.

Should have saved my 15.00 for some real news. :).

Dave

Jeez, we're cross posting here...

It's an interesting thing. I am a follower of the philosphy of Paul Klipsch, having met the man and been converted as a teenager. Of course, that means a center channel, but only L+R.

In planning for release recordings, I am concerned about the nature of many HT center speakers. I want a seamless sonic space, and most active center channels I've heard tend to dominate the space.

Some experimentation and input from users is definitely in order.

I know this may sound weird...but I listen mainly to LP's with the passive center ala Klipsch and rear channels extracted via a passive Hafler circuit. Been doing that for about 30 years. Of course, I have a full 5.1 HT system up front (all vintage Frazier speakers with a Pinnacle sub), but have no DVD-A capability or experience yet. I play DVD movies on a computer there.

What I DO have is superb ears and a LOT of location recording experience. Most of my audiophile acquaintences suggest my piano recordings are as close to real as they've ever heard. I've been building digital audio workstations for several years now and feel pretty happy with their abilities, which far exceed anything I could have dreamed of owning even 10 years ago.

I want to use that experience to move into the high end of what is now possible with DVD-A.

Dave

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Just in case:

AIX Records dvd-audios use just about ALL of the dvd-audio format's capabilities. It's owner, Dr. Mark Waldrep, posts here every once in a while and his discs always get excellent reviews (he uses "purist" recording techniques).

LJ

Crikey, so much to experience and learn...

The AIX site looks awesome. Which one to buy? I'm burning up my "budget" buying books and other peoples products.

Dang. I'll decide tomorrow.

Lance: What part of the republic are you in? I live in the DFW (Flower Mound) area.

Dave

Jeff Savage

Second Unit
Dave -

No need to buy any of the AIX Records yet. I own several of them including two samplers. Remember how I keep telling you need to hear them because they are awesome (Nitty Gritty Band is one) :) I have spoken to Mark on the phone before and he is a super nice guy. I also have the new release of Dark Side on the Moon. This SACD is a good example of a multi channel mix that hardly uses the center channel.

I am also going to butt in for a second on the idea/use of a .1 channel. Depending on your intended audience you may want to use this. The problem is bass management. As you are aware SACD and DVD-A players can only output the full resolution signal over the analog outputs due to copyright restrictions. This becomes a problem in that most receivers and SACD or DVD-A players (until recently) did not provide any bass management for the analog signals. This is not an issue for your KHorns or my Cornwalls but it is for folks who have "bookshelf" type mains and surrounds. In this type of system the subwoofer is not just in place for effects or that 20Hz organ note but for ALL bass below 80Hz or so. In many mini speaker systems the only way to get any bass on a DVD-A or SACD is for the recording engineer to mix ALL the information below frequency X to the .1 channel.

You as the recording engineer then needs to decide if you are going to output full frequency signals on all channels thereby placing the bass management in the hands of the end user and equipment vendors or are you going to mix the album such that you roll all the channels off at say 70Hz and direct all bass to the subwoofer.

Anyways not a technical take just a real world take. Let me know if you want to pop over to hear any of the AIX recordings.

Laters,
Jeff

Thanks, Jeff. I'll probably be in lurk mode for a few weeks as I digest all the information and read the books I've just ordered.

From my "other life," I know I need to define my target audience and define their tastes as well as their equipment. That will tell me what needs to be done.

I was unaware of the restriction on the hi res channels.

Don't these people understand that those who steal their products could care less? MP3, fer cryin out loud. They just reasample, through out 90% of the music, and are happy as can be. All this type of thing does is run off those who don't do a lot of theivng anyway.

Oh, well.

Also, thanks for your booster post here recently. I still don't know about Saturday, as my inlaws will be here, but I am going to try to be there.

Dave

Breaking lurk mode for the following message direct from the horse:

"1. Surroundedby Entertainment's titles do not include ANY Lossy schemes. Our discs are not backward compatible with DVD-V.

2. We do not copy protect our titles in any way. never have, never will.

3. The Guarneri title, and the Debussy as well, are 4 ch surround recordings. We would never use a filtered SW on such recordings, and the Center channel does not work well with such narrow sources.
Best regards

Jim Mageras
Surroundedby Entertainment Inc."

I like these people, a lot. I've queried them about whether they provide a .1 channel or not.

So far it appears my discs will "look" a lot like theirs.

Dave

Again, the horse spoke, and he said the following words of wisdom:

"It is not needed and the only justification for its use is merchantile. Consider your market and for whom you are creating these titles.
Please know that you may need MLP anyway.

We do a lot of surround production for other labels www.sound-bunker.com and we discourage them from including the .1. The best choice for almost all music is 5.0 or perhaps 6.0. But the LFE has little practical application in music production."

To which I add, amen.

Dave

Jeff Savage

Second Unit
Dave -

I don't think Eric has a DVD-A player or multi speaker setup (this weekends gathering). In any case just let me know whenever you have some time to listen to the AIX recordings. I will be more than happy to demo them for you.

We do a lot of surround production for other labels www.sound-bunker.com and we discourage them from including the .1. The best choice for almost all music is 5.0 or perhaps 6.0. But the LFE has little practical application in music production."
I agree with their statment as long as the end user electonics provide proper bass management or the end user has full range speakers for all channels. I currently believe that these statements represent the exception as opposed to the rule. Anyway enough of this as the .1 channel discussion already has it's own thread. The AIX recordings are a great example of how to use the .1 in multi-channel DVD-A recordings. Hard to explain but you will have to listen for yourself. Just like all albums I believe that it all comes down to the skill of the recording engineer.

Laters,
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks