What's new

Dunlavy, I am in love (1 Viewer)

Albert Damico

Stunt Coordinator
I have posted several times with issues around my center channel. Should I go with one, should I not. 5 years and 3 center channels later, I still just did not like the sound and presense of a center channel. I finally just moved my Infinity Overture 2 speakers into another room, put away my Axiom VP-150 center channel, and purchased three exact same speakers for the front. Dunlavy SC-1av's. I am open minded but was concerned about the sound difference between putting monitor speakers as the mains instead of the towers that were there. I also hoped to hear an improvement in the center, but given that this would be the 4th one, was still skeptical. End result is that I have been an idiot for 5+ years for believing that the speakers I was using were "high end" enough that to spend additional money on others would be a waste. I spent a week calibrating them exactly like I wanted, I experimented with the placement and height. I spent dozens of hours and finally last night, settled down with my wife to watch a DVD all the way through. I had Wind Talker sitting around that I had not watched yet so we drew the curtains, and put it on. It was the single most incredible movie experience (sound wise) that I have ever had. The difference that the Dunlavy's made across the front soundstage was nothing short of stunning. While we could clearly hear the movement of sound as it traveled across the stage, at no time could I ever pin the sound down to a speaker. People weren't talking and me hearing it from a speaker, people were talking in my room. Every nuance, every sound, every tonal inflection, clearly recreated as if it was actually happening in front of me. It was like I had a window into an actual happening. I was so impressed that I put on a CD. I never use my HT for music, but I wanted to hear those speakers. I put in Sade. If I closed my eyes, I could swear the she was standing in my HT room performing for me. What wonderful beautiful speakers. I'm sure that these types of experiences are not exclusive to Dunlavy and I finally understand what those of you with high end speakers have been talking about. I thought I did, but I was wrong. I play those speakers through a Sherbourn 7/2100 amp and a B&K Reference 50, by the way.

SC Trojan

Agent
Real Name
Gary
Ive always loved dunlavys- too bad about his demise. Only thing about his monitors were that they lacked a little fullness due to size. Now his larger speakers are some of the best bar none!

Alex F.

Second Unit
Gary:

Your post gives the impression that Dunlavy the man met his demise. Last I heard, John Dunlavy is fine. The company that he sold, and which bore his name, met its demise a few months ago under its new ownership. A shame, too, as Dunlavy's loudspeakers provided exceptional performance.

For those who may be interested, Audiovideologic.com purchased the remaining inventory of Dunlavy products and is currently selling them at a significant discount.

Albert Damico

Stunt Coordinator
Gary, that's why I pair them with a good sub, else I would have purchased larger ones.

Alex, your right, thats where I bought mine. Only have great things to say about Audiovideologic.

SC Trojan

Agent
Real Name
Gary
I did not mean to give ANY offense with the Dunlavy the person. I was strictly talking about the management of the company and it's demise. The speakers were GREAT! but silly management things like making dealers pay for orders upfront, longer than normal leadtimes, alienating their core customers sealed the company's fate.

If my wife didnt nix the idea due to styling constraints, I would have purchased that pair of SC-5s that were on audiogon a few months ago. I have yet to hear a "better" speaker than the SC-6s with matching TSW-5s!

Nick L

Second Unit
I live in Des Moines where AudioVideoLogic is located. They have been selling Dunlavy's as long as I can remember. It is also the first place I heard my first "high end" system. Great group of guys there, always willing to help and answer every question. The guys there must really love their work. It's too bad about Dunlavy too. If only the owner would sell it to someone else, instead of just holding onto it and letting it die. Luckily AudioVideoLogic was able to pickup the B&W line late last year. The Nautilus line should pickup a little for the high end customers that came in for Dunlavy's. And the Wilson Audio's too.

Nick L

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks