What's new

Dump 30" monitor and go with HDTV display? (1 Viewer)

Diallo B

Screenwriter

understand your point. my brother actually uses his 32 inch on his desk as a normal monitor. albeit with the two crt's as well. he and i really don't have any issues with real estate as we both use multiple monitor setups. but even if i was going single with the lcd i don't think i would have an issue.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ron,
Did you say how you would use the HDTV? Would you have a 40" HDTV on your desk, or would this become like a living room installation?

I'm trying to imagine a 40" monitor on my desk...that would be huge! What was the viewing distance for the setup at WB?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dave,

Right now my 30" monitor sits on my desk about 2' from my face.
That was about the same viewing distance at WB.

I have pretty much given up the idea of getting an LCD or PLASMA
display. I'll just wait for 30" glossy screens to be released.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Maybe you could spray a can of clear gloss spray paint on a matte screen.

Maybe not.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen

LOL....

Quite honestly though...it would have about the same affect on the image quality.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Ron,

I tried to do something similar, although I got a 32" 720p Samsung to use as a second monitor. The video quality on pictures was pretty good, but text was unreadable. That was due to the larger pixels on the set. I ended up going dual monitor--my 17" laptop in a docking cradle connected to a 22" HP monitor I got open box for about 200 bucks. It is a glossy monitor (which isn't a problem for me since my office is in my basement and I can control the lights). I'll attach a picture--taken with my blackberry so the quality isn't anything to write home about.

I work from home so I spend a lot of time on the computer, thus wanting the extra space and good-looking monitor. This setup has worked well for me.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Justin,

Not really digging the dual monitor thing.

I'll wait for Apple to release a glossy screen despite the fact
that others are unfairly attacking its merits.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Justin, that is quite cool. I never thought of using the docked laptop as a 2nd monitor. Is there a light output difference ? currently i have my laptop free standing beside my dual 22" Dell monitors. The laptop puts out less then half the light out put of the Dells so my eyes have problems adjusting.

Ron, the glare screen is a problem when considering eye fatigue and perceived resolution. From an imaging science stand point it is a very bad idea (unless you want extra eye fatigue). That being said, when viewing a gloss screen in a darkened room with no room lighting behind the viewer, gloss would be minimized.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Gregg,

I don't really notice a brightness difference; I have calibrated the monitors to appear largely the same when the laptop is docked. I got hooked on the dual monitors setup when I worked in radio news. I could have my scripts and audio program on one screen and the recorder and live management program on another. Now, when I work from home, I keep my email and spreadsheets on one screen, and word documents on another. Helps me keep track since I'm as scattered as they come.

I agree that gloss is the devil when working with bright, uncontrollable lights. I tried to use my laptop outside once to no avail. But high contrast gloss is fun when you can control your environment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks