What's new

dumb hdtv aspect question (2 Viewers)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I've searched and searched, and I just can't find the darn answer. What is HDTV broadcast in? 4:3 or 16:9?

the "old folks" are trading a perfectly good mitsu RPTV (16:9) in for a 4:3 sony tube (XBR at least) because they don't care for the RPTV, I'm wondering if they'll be watching HDTV letterboxed this fall when it's finally available.. and if I'll be laughing at them complaining about it :) :laugh:

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
To expand a bit on Michael’s post, the HD telecast must be 16:9. However the content of the telecast is something altogether different. For example, HBOH (which has the same schedule as HBO) telecasts a 16:9 image with complete with black bars for their 4:3 material (such as Arli$$), which is SD, even though it is shown on their HD channel.

Or for some sporting events, you get the full 16:9 image during the game and a 4:3 image inside of the 16:9 image when there is a switch to the announcer’s booth.

Of course if we ever get lucky enough for some of the older movies to be telecast in HD, we will again get a 4:3 box inside of a 16:9 frame. This happens now for 2:35 movies that are telecast in HD—you get the horizontal black bars as a part of the telecast.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
hehe just checking. it was my opinion that buying a 4:3 television was a bad idea.. :D I'm going to go gloat now.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
There are arguments to be made for going with a 4:3 set that has a 16:9 mode, though (since most U.S. programming is still in 4:3). The future is widescreem, but in this time of transition a 4:3 HD-capable set that can display 480p and 1080i images correctly at 16:9 makes sense in some cases.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
well, I think they've flopped again and will stick with the mitsu 16:9, it's their money so I'm staying out of it :D

Don Petsche

Agent
For me, its all about the stretch modes. I find 4:3 on 16:9 is bearable if the set can do "panoramic" or some other named mode that fills the screen by stretching only the outer most areas of the picture.

Size is potentially of interest. Remember 4:3 on a 50" 16:9 widescreen is 41" when shown with bars. Burnin is potentially an issue watching that way (I understand a myth for most), but newer technologies like DLP remove any fear of watching 4:3 normal on the wide screen.

1.85:1 anamorphic DVDs fill the screen at 16:9. 2.35:1 still have bars, all though much much smaller than when displayed on a 4:3 screen.

I would stick to 16:9, but to each his own.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Jan, I've been meaning to ask for a long time: Is that Danny Thomas's mug on the TV in your sig image? It looks like him or Sid Ceasar.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Maybe the Folks just need to get their existing RPTV ISFed.
no doubt.. but it's a brand new set and to the average person that is a rediculous thought.
They just don't like not being able to watch tv from a 70-80 degree angle (I'm not kidding either) Also they have too much light in their livingroom causing some glare problems. So once again they've flip flopped and the sony 36" 4:3 tube is coming home tomorrow, and the 16:9 mitsu is going back

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.