What's new

dumb Brit question - what's a slam dunk? (1 Viewer)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
interesting that a rude word in English refers to the forward part of a female's nether regions, but in the Dutch version it refers to the rear.

contrast this with "fanny", which the Brits have gotten back-to-front (excuse the bad pun) compared to the Americans.

Andrew, would "fanny" be considered as rude as the "c" word in British usage? I get the impression it isn't, and for that matter isn't considered as rude in American usage either, but I may certainly be very wrong on both counts.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
interesting that a rude word in English refers to the forward part of a female's nether regions, but in the Dutch version it refers to the rear
To complicate things, we also have an ever ruder word that looks may have been derived from the same root (kut, I hesitate to write it :) ), but as you can see more changed, that means exactly the same as the English "c-word" (I'm sparing the English readers here). It's considered VERY rude.

It makes schoolboys giggle at the conjugations of the English verb "to cut - cut - cut", which is pronounced exactly the same.

And, I'm not bringing the off-topic subject up here, but you may guess what the local juvenile reaction was to the news on CNN that a bridge at Al-Kut had been destroyed. The Dutch news-readers firmly attempted to pronounce it as differently as possible ("El Coot").

Cees

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
and for that matter isn't considered as rude in American usage either...
you're correct yee-ming. fanny has no strong negative connotation. it would be no different then using "butt" or "rear". heck, they even sell "fanny packs".

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Ted, I think Yee Ming was refering to the English usage of 'fanny' which does not mean the same as the American usage.

CaseyLS

Second Unit
A badooka dunk would be a dunk that is done very hard. It is also a dunk when the defender is between you and the hoop and you still throw it down on them. If you could find the Olympic clip- Vince Carter jumped completely over a 7'2" Lithunian(I think).

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
well, I appreciate Ted's clarification on American usage of "fanny" -- having heard the term "fanny packs" before, I was certainly under the impression it was acceptable in polite circles, but wasn't sure. with the Brits I'm not sure at all.

I've seen, for instance, on Thin Blue Line (starring Rowan Atkinson of Blackadder fame -- I hesitate to refer to Mr Bean...) the Inspector ranting that he doesn't want the policemen "fannying about", because "my arse is on the line and I don't want a cock-up" :D :D :D

but then again, that's TV, which often gives a false impression as to acceptability of swear words.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks