What's new

Dukes of Hazzard HDDVD missing S-DVD features??? (1 Viewer)

mikey ra

Stunt Coordinator
I watched the Dukes HD-DVD special features last night and I think some of the deleted scenes from the standard DVD were not ported over. Specifically, I think the alternate ending (that was previously on the S-DVD under the unrated alternate scenes menu) are missing from the unrated alternate scenes HD-DVD menu (I think the # of scenes is cut in half). Can anyone else verify this for me? If so, I wonder why.

Thanks

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
At this point it is relatively unknown that HD-DVD is pushing the limits of the dual layer 30gb discs already and they are proposing three layer that can hold 45gb to compete with blu-ray's 50gb dual layer. So what might of happened is they probably ran out of room on the disc and couldn't fit all the extra features.
Shame, Shame.

Seth=L

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

I don't think that is true at all.

Many HD DVDs initially have come close to using the full 30 GB of the disc, but that was due to not needing to compress the films further. If you can get the movie on the disc at 18mbps average and the extras being ported over from the DVD don't require more space than is available, why spend time and money optimizing the compression down to 14mbps (or lower) when it fits at 18mbps?

How long is Dukes? Isn't it about an hour and a half or so? If so, there are longer movies with LOTS of extras on HD DVD.

According to Amir (A VP at microsoft and a home theater enthusiast who posts at AVS and has been VERY forthcoming with lots of information about the format), with optimal compression an HD DVD 30 will be able to hold The Return of the King EE (4+ hours) with a lossless audio track (sans extras).

I can't imagine that Dukes (whatever the running time) gave them trouble with space. Aren't the extras just ported over from the DVD (with the exception of the in movie experience)? If something is missing from the DVD extras, there has to be another more reasonable explanation.

Also according to Amir no studios have shown any real interest in the need for triple layer HD DVD, which is why it wasn't developed further and pushed into the specs.

Sorry, but the info you just posted here seems way off.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

Nope, not at all. Just don't be too quick to believe random internet "sky is falling" speculation when you don't know how reliable the source is.

Actually, here is a great thread at AVS Forum that has a great deal of information from HD DVD and BD insiders: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=697036

Lots of good info there about the inner workings of both formats from sources that are about as reliable as you are going to get on the internet.

And spending lots of time reading the great threads here at HTF is time well spent as well.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
thank you Sean. In advance I apoligize for changing the thread topic. I might be a little naive in listening to those Best Buy guys. 9 times out of 10 they don't really seem to know what they are talking about on even the simplest of subjects. I think those just do what the company tells them to do. There is another thread running on this site that says Best Buy is trying to make HD-DVD not look good in comparison to Blu-Ray. One example would be using a westinghouse television to display HD-DVD and then a nice shiny Samsung with the Blu-Ray player which is also Samsung.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
There's an alternate ending in the PG-13 deleted scenes section; I don't have the SD DVD to compare whether that's the same one or not, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks