What's new

Duck You Sucker! / Fistful of Dynamite blu ray? (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I know that MGM issued Duck You Sucker in the Man with No Name DVD set a few years back. Then when the Leone Western films were issued on Blu ray, the title was not included in the set. Any further news on when the title is coming to blu ray? I have never seen the film in it's entirety and would like to pick it up.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
My favorite Leone western (& favorite Morricone score), I thought the special edition DVD looked very good, but not so keen the the surround sound with the dialogue jumpimg from left to right mid-sentence. I'd love a great looking Blu, but as it's MGM I'm not holding my breath.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Doctorossi said:
I'm clinging to a faint hope for this one, too.
Thanks for the posts. Hope something is in the works. probably for the next HD release? Grr. : )

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I was hoping Duck You Sucker! / Fistful of Dynamite would be in the Leone Western blu-ray set as well...I would hope the film makes it to blu-ray as it would be a shame if it did not.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Reggie W said:
I was hoping Duck You Sucker! / Fistful of Dynamite would be in the Leone Western blu-ray set as well...I would hope the film makes it to blu-ray as it would be a shame if it did not.
Agreed!

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
MGM/Fox needs to properly remaster all of the Leones (and that includes fixing the glitchy "restoration" of GBU) before they consider doing Duck, You Sucker! on blu.

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Lord Dalek said:
MGM/Fox needs to properly remaster all of the Leones (and that includes fixing the glitchy "restoration" of GBU) before they consider doing Duck, You Sucker! on blu.
Why before? Do them all at once!

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Lord Dalek said:
The GBU Blu-ray is being re-released in the UK on June 3rd. All us fans are hoping it's some sort of re-master.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Billy Batson said:
The GBU Blu-ray is being re-released in the UK on June 3rd. All us fans are hoping it's some sort of re-master.
News to me - any links? Many thanks. Steve W

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
It's not technically a re-release as GBU has not yet seen an individual release on Blu yet in the UK. Previously it has only been available in a box set with the other films. So it's unlikely a new transfer/master. The other two Dollars films are getting individual releases on the same day. The Italian Mondo Blu has a fantastic image, I'm sick of waiting for studios to do the right thing and give us a product worthy of Blu-ray, so I just synced up the Italian image with the English audio. Hey presto. http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/comparison.php?cID=664#auswahl

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
EddieLarkin said:
It's not technically a re-release as GBU has not yet seen an individual release on Blu yet in the UK. Previously it has only been available in a box set with the other films. So it's unlikely a new transfer/master. The other two Dollars films are getting individual releases on the same day. The Italian Mondo Blu has a fantastic image, I'm sick of waiting for studios to do the right thing and give us a product worthy of Blu-ray, so I just synced up the Italian image with the English audio. Hey presto. http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/comparison.php?cID=664#auswahl
Oh I hope it's a re-master, but we're talking MGM, so probably not. I think the first two Dollars films look pretty good, then you put in GBU & the colours lose their vibrancy, & it's like viewing the film through two mosquito nets!

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
The Italians bested MGM on Fistful as well: http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/comparison.php?cID=687#auswahl Unlike GBU, the disc is region free and English friendly. The German Universum release is identical too. Universum just put out Few Dollars More as well, which uses the MGM transfer, but restores the missing 40 or so seconds of cuts to that version.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Billy Batson said:
Oh I hope it's a re-master, but we're talking MGM, so probably not. I think the first two Dollars films look pretty good, then you put in GBU & the colours lose their vibrancy, & it's like viewing the film through two mosquito nets!
Either way it's only a matter of time before MGM and Fox reissue the Leone films on blu ray.

Spencer Draper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Spencer Draper
AFOD was restored by MGM from their source, and restored by RHV/Cineteca Nazionale from the o-neg.
FAFDM was restored by Triage from Techniscope original materials for MGM, yet there also seems to be an Italian restoration that was done.
GBU was destroyed in 2003 for the ill-advised "Special Edition", with that unnecessary grotto scene shoved back in and the single worst 5.1 remix ever done for a film. The SE DVD was poor and did not look like the new 35mm print, and the BD is riddled with DNR.
All three have European alternatives mentioned above, Italian and German discs that roughly outdo the MGM 2007 and GBU SE work.
The trouble is that there is no support for the English dub soundtrack on GBU. These original mono dub tracks are still best heard on Laser, without the EQ done to remove noise for DVD that erased some of the atmospherics Leone loved. FAFDM is supposed to have the English dub in DTS. (Note: the FAFDM LD is slightly edited.)

That said, I don't see MGM releasing DYS anytime soon. Chiefly because it isn't a popular film, and because it won't sell well. If there was a chance of release it would have come along with the Dollars trilogy in a BD upgrade of the DVD anthology set. The restored image was fantastic, the new 35mm print was glorious, but the audio was horribly wrong. The 5.1 and fake mono folddown are censored, remixed and have multiple incorrect music cues. The restored Laser and R2 old DVD have the original mono mix that is fully intact save for the final flashback.

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
DYS airs in widescreen HD on HDTV. That's as far as you can get close to Blu-ray quality for the moment.

The Leone films are an absolute mess on general release. You have to value those as bonus material discs only, and get better versions from italian sources and germany sources.

When those sources aren't english friendly, fans have taken steps to restore the audio tracks, in essence doing the work MGM haven't been doing.

I have no clue why a so important director is treated so badly for his Blu / DVD releases.

PS: on note, and I haven't read this anywhere, the french dub track on FOFDM MGM plays several octaves lower than all the other tracks. It has a pitch problem and thus is unlistenable for anyone familiar with the film...

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
There's been a little talk about Criterion possibly doing TGTBATU, which is probably just wishful thinking.

But boy oh boy, wouldn't it be great to have this and the dollars trilogy in a nice Criterion box.

Steve W

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Yorkshire said:
There's been a little talk about Criterion possibly doing TGTBATU, which is probably just wishful thinking.

But boy oh boy, wouldn't it be great to have this and the dollars trilogy in a nice Criterion box.

Steve W
That would be amazing! Wow!

I would most likely upgrade from the MGM set if that is the case!

Hopefully Duck You Sucker is included as well.

I have only seen a few minutes of the film and would like to see it issued.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks