What's new

DualDisc Unveiled to Retailers (1 Viewer)

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D

I understand that, but I was basically speculating that unless 5.1 Entertainment worked on a dvd-video for Eminem (which I dont think they have, I just checked) or has an unreleased dvd-a/sacd it is possibly that he is one of the launch artists to promote dual-disc. because there has never been a dvd-a or sacd from Eminem in the past, but hes on the list of artists who 5.1 Entertainment has worked on projects with.

Chris-V

Stunt Coordinator
The biggest problem I saw with the Dualdisc test-marketing here in Seattle (and the reason I never picked one up) is, as has been noted earlier, the sloppy labeling. There was no standardization of labeling or content. For example, a random sample of Dualdiscs I looked at here ran the gambit (in terms of labeling) from "entire album in PCM Stereo" to "entire album in surround sound" to "dvd side audio and video content" to no information at all. Even titles that have also been released on DVD-A (the latest 3 Doors Down disc springs to mind) were so poorly labeled that it was unclear what you'd be getting on the DVD side, though one might assume that such discs would have the same content as their DVD-A counterparts.

Dualdisc has the potential to be a great product, but from an audiophile standpoint shoddy labeling and/or content could make it more of a step backward, since it is likely to supplant dedicated DVD-A's and possibly SACD's as well.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
The stickers proclaiming "entire album in surround sound" may be as much detail as the average person wants to hear. If the stickers were touting bit rates or such, that may do more harm than good in terms of scaring people off.

From the test discs, it does appear that there is an effort to make a chart on the back of each package which details what each title contains, but again, probably not with the level of precision an audiophile would want.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Indeed! The FBI is very sneaky and rumor has it, that as I write, many men have unknowingly dated an undercover FBI agent and brought them home to show them their pirated collections. Shortly thereafter, the RIAA comes a knockin' and it ain't pretty.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
I saw one of those "FBI warnings" on a CD jewel case for the first time the other day. No mention of Fair Use -- just a huge shield, with a "warning" that (IIRC) was far from an accurate summary of the law.

I guess some of the record industry people still believe that the most effective sales technique is "The beatings will continue until morale improves." ;)

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
50 titles to choose from is pretty decent.

I didn't think there would be that many to start with.

There has to be something within the 50 that interests me.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
The MusicTap website reports another title, and again the October 26th date is the date given (not early October as the original article said).

"Atlantic Records announces their DualDisc entry with one by The Donnas. This album, called In Studio, will be released on October 26."

John Watson

Screenwriter
Chu Gai : Does this mean then we'll have players with dual lasers so both sides can be played without us getting off our fat asses to change sides?

Lee : Excellent point Paul. Why can't the idiots in this business realize they need to simplify their products for the average consumer. All these different formats are confusing to only a very small handful of us audio geeks.

Will this product feature the beloved small print on the hub that differentiates the sides as poorly as dual-sided DVD? :frowning:

Home entertainment technology keeps me going back to books for relief. :)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

One explanation...There might be an official launch date with some titles and staggered release dates thereafter.

I keep seeing October 26th. The Silverline title list is up at Steve Hoffman but it is a bit underwhelming. They seem to keeping the big releases under their hat.

Robert A. Willis Jr.

Second Unit
What kind of video are they going to offer on "Kind of Blue". I would be pleasantly surprised (shocked actually) if a DVD-A track is to be included.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks