What's new

DualDisc Unveiled to Retailers (1 Viewer)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Does this mean then we'll have players with dual lasers so both sides can be played without us getting off our fat asses to change sides?

Just think, I can listen to Madonna on one side and then listen on the other while she regales me with her new-found Kabala rantings or maybe hear some words of wisdom about how R. Kelley feels about the prospects of young women to make it in todays society. Maybe even some tips from this fella. God, I'm so excited, I just wet myself :frowning:

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Good news!

Today's Wall Street Journal is reporting the DualDisc launch will occur in October.

I look forward to seeing the titles that come out. The WSJ reported we will see Miles Davis, Nine Inch Nails, and Jane's Addiction. The last two are certainly very mainstream but I wish that the Miles Davis is a new title. Another issue of Kind of Blue would be underwhelming.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The Bowie disc really is great (long, wonderful video), but for high-res you'll need the SACD. Thanks, Sony. :thumbsdown:

Releasing 'Kind of Blue' is fan-friendly, as it doesn't require all the Miles fans to bo buy an SACD player. :emoji_thumbsup: I'm all for reissuing old titles in addition to new ones.

But Sony Corporate surely won't allow high-res on 'Kind of Blue'. :thumbsdown:

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I'll wager we get high-res on many/most of the Universal and Warner releases, and on none of the Sony/BMG releases. EMI, who knows.

The WSJ article implies that some of the discs will be single-inventory (no separate CD), which is interesting.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

My view is that single inventory would be a positive development as it will drive people's curiosity. They need to really hold the price down in my opinion.

Let's hope they realize they are competing with MP3 not the Red Book version. :)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thx for the linkage, Lee.

And--even before getting into what MTS has been calling out about Sony not putting hi rez on their Duals--may I just say that I resent/think it will be another point of confusion the way the phrase "enhanced sound" is being muddied by using it to describe "Surround Sound" that may very well be lossy. So now "enhanced sound" is apparently being added to the mix, as it were, distinct from "advanced resolution."

-p

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
For a goof, I might pick up a disc - just to try it out.

Hopefully there'll be a title I'd be interested in sooner than later.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D

most of those artists have had dvd-a's or sacd's. but does that list of artists include dvd's? cause Ive never seen nor heard of an Eminem dvd-A/sacd. or do you suppose its one of artists they worked with for the dual-disc launch?

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

Excellent point Paul. Why can't the idiots in this business realize they need to simplify their products for the average consumer. All these different formats are confusing to only a very small handful of us audio geeks.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

That's just what 5.1 has done in the past and may not be correlated at all with DualDisc titles.

One more thing: it is interesting we have not heard what happened to the lawsuit...maybe that remains unsolved.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks