What's new

Dual Subs advice. (1 Viewer)

mitch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mitchell Miles
Hi All,

I'm thoroughly enjoying my new SVS PB12/Plus 2 in my home theater as it is a killer sub and integrates well with my Snell 5.1 speaker array.

Before I bought the SVS, I was using a Velodyne HGS 15 Sub, which is certainly no slouch, but cannot compare with the SVS for earth shaking bass.

I was thinking about selling the Velodyne, but now I might keep it and run it as a second sub in the system, probably in the rear of the home theater.

I'm thinking that in order to do this with my Integra 7.8, i need to hook up a Y splitter to the sub output and split the signal between the SVS and the Velo. Is this correct? Will this spliiting of the signal degrade the sub signal at all?

Is this a good idea? Do you think that the subs will interfere with each other?

Will this significantly improve the bass in my system?

I know that I need too go to Monoprice or some other cable company and purchase a long run of about 50 feet so that I can run the cable above my dropped ceiling in my basement home theater which will only cost about $30 or so, and then the splitter, so it's not a real expensive hook up, but I just want to find out what any of you have experienced in doing this before I go through the motions.

Thanks for your advice!

Mitch

troy evans

Screenwriter
Having 2 subs can be good, as long as you take the time to intergrate them into your system properly. Now, there are alot of thoughts about what proper placement is. First, you need to do the "crawling for bass." If you're not familiar with it, you take the subwoofer and place it where you plan to sit. Play a source that has constant bass ( usually music). Then you crawl around the room ( usually along the walls) to hear the bass. When you find the deepest most solid spot where the bass has the most effect, put the sub there. I would recommend putting the other sub directly opposite in the room as the first. So, if one is in the front right hand corner, put the other in the rear left hand corner. That's a suggestion, you may find the sub would work better in another position, though. As far as the signal degrading, I have 2 subs in my system on a Y-splitter and have noticed no loss in signal. Sub signal is mono so I don't think that's much of an issue anyway. Now, as far as more bass, I've been told that you don't get more bass as much as you get a more room filling bass from the original signal. Simply because it now comes from two output sources instead of one now. You may also find that the SVS is enough. I have enjoyed my 2 subwoofer system and wish you luck in your endevors with subwoofers. It's one of the more challenging aspects to set up in home theater, but, once you get it right you'll love it.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I recommend using an SPL meter (Radio Shack or Gemini models) to determine the best spots. Your ears are not very accurate.

-Robert

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
... and the Y-splitter will do (both units active subs) and will not degrade the total sound.

(Wrong phase and wrong placement and wrong combination of subs might.)

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks