What's new

DTS Neo 6 vs. Dolby Pro Logic II (CONSOLIDATED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Blake R

Stunt Coordinator
Bravo John. Outside of the basic encoding criteria of each format, the processing varies as much as human hearing does. It's impossible to be truly objective about auditory response with different receivers. It's like Beatles and Stones fans. Each convinced the other group is no good. They're both rock bands, right?

With my receiver(HK) the DTS Neo 6 sounds hollowed out in the forward sound stage compared to the DPL2 music mode. Would this be the same with a Denon? I doubt it.

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
I'm also finding it depends on the source material quite a bit. When I first tried DTS:Neo-Music it was with some classical music, and I liked the open/airy sound it produced, with a large sound-stage. But last night I was listening to some heavy metal and it seemed that with DTS:Neo that the midrange was muted; it totally sucked the life out of the music. DPL2-Music was better in that case.

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Wow, I just received my new Mirage FRx-C center channel to match my FRx 7's. This replaced my 7 year old Mirage MCC center channel. I used to read all these posts about timber matching but now I truly understand by hearing the difference. I now hear a HUGE difference using DPLII. DTS NEO is still too forward sounding but now I find myself pretty much listening to DPLII exclusively for music. It is hard to believe that one speaker can make such a change. COOL;)

Mike_Stuewe

Stunt Coordinator
Well this has been a really great thread reading about the experience all you have had between the two formats. Right now I am pretty much just flipping between the two for television and determining which sounds better. For Baseball on Fox I have been using Dolby Pro Logic 2 and for Nascar on Fox it was DTS Neo:6. Then when NBC got the races for the second part of the year, I think that it sounds better in PL2. For Music, I simply play it in the original way it was recorded cuz it's the way it was supposed to be listened to. If I am outside of my theater room then I will usually throw it into 7 channel stereo to make it sound better in other parts of the house.

Thanks for all the replys to this thread, it's great to hear what everybody thinks of the seemingly similar format.

Chris Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
-
I've read numerous threads asking the question of whether Dolby Pro-Logic II or DTS Neo:6 sounds better. My question is slightly different. When viewing material that is specifically Dolby surround encoded, which one is better. First thought that comes to mind would be DPLII because using a Dolby decoding to decode a Dolby encoded disc just makes sense… but I like the idea that Neo:6 uses the rear surround on my 6.1 setup. Is Neo:6 capable of taking advantage of Dolby surround encoded material?
Main reason is I view a lot of Laserdiscs with a PCM 2.0 track.

DanielSmi

Second Unit
i asked myself the same question and just answered it. I have a gamecube and a 49tx I put in Rogue Squadron which is encoded on DPL II, there is in the special features menu of the game an audio test which has one tie fighter fly circles around your room to test the quality of your surround sound it flies in a counter clockwise circle starting in the center channel and going to fl then to sl and then sr to fr. when it went from sl to sr on the test with dpl II enabled it seemed to jump from sl to sr there wasn't much in-between the two. But when I turned on NEO:6 Cinema it no longer jumped because of the rear center channel it was pretty smooth not as good as discrete but definitely an improvement over dpl II. With the music modes they are basically for ambient effects almost as if the are intentionally out of phase so you can't really localize where the sound's coming from so definitely use dts:Neo 6 for your movies. If you have this game definitely do the audio test it's the best way to find out that what the test was made for.

Daniel Smith

Chris Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
-
I do not have the game, or even a gamecube... I ahve a couple .vob test files that I can play through my HTPC in order to test dolby digital and Dts, Do they make such a test file for pro-logic?

Zacha R

Stunt Coordinator
IF you have 'Video Essential' it has a 2-channel Prologic version of the 'Walk round the room in voice'. Try that with each, and compare it to the 5.1 channel track. (That way you can compare it to how it was intended, too.)

I assume AVIA has a similar test signal.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
My new Outlaw 950 prepro has both these modes to create good surround from stereo sources. Is one better than the other? Maybe one for certain kinds of sources and one for another? You don't read about DTS Neo much but it sounds good to me. Then again so does DPL II. I can hardly tell the difference.

BrentPollard

Second Unit
As much of a fan that I am of DTS in general, I find DPL II to be more to my liking. The center channel seems to be a bit weak in Neo, but I haven't done much tweaking. That's with my Rotel RSP 1066 and PSB Stratus speakers.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
I prefer DPL II. It just sounds more natural to me. NEO sounds more "forced" (not the best word but I can't think of a better one this early in the morning.)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I like how you can blend in more of the center channel info into the left and right speakers using DPL-II.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks