1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

DTS Neo 6 vs. Dolby Pro Logic II (CONSOLIDATED THREAD)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by james e m, Mar 8, 2002.

1. Evan M.

Evan M. Well-Known Member

Uh oh, here we go again [​IMG]......what did I tell ya [​IMG] . Before this happens again please review the WHOLE thread to see the discussions that already took place.

2. LiorM

LiorM Active Member

FeisalK,

3. Shiu

Shiu Well-Known Member

I am sitting on the fence on this one because for certain music I enjoy the effect created by PLII NEO6 etc. However, for classical music I am sticking with stereo. When I go to concert, the orchestra is in front of me. I am counting on the two channel speakers to reproduce the sounds of those instruments as faithfully as possible. If I had never been to live concerts (clssical), I could probably live with those "sound effects".

Evan, glad to see we all seem to be open minded afterall. This is a great forum!

4. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Well-Known Member

5. David Judah

David Judah Well-Known Member

6. LiorM

LiorM Active Member

David Judah

7. Roger Dressler

Roger Dressler Well-Known Member

LiorM wrote:

8. Shiu

Shiu Well-Known Member

9. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Well-Known Member

10. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Well-Known Member

11. WilliamMc

WilliamMc Well-Known Member

And then there are those of us that have become a little bored with music over the years. Using PL2 has renewed my interest in listening to many of my farvorites again, but with a new twist.

To change gears, I recently downloaded a 5.1 dolby wav of a live jazz proformance. The track was recorded and encoded by the performer himself. WOW! I have been coverted! In the past I have owned much better highend gear than the avr I'm using now, but this was the most impressive musical presentatation I have ever heard. No Dark side of the moon effects here with instruments out of every channel, but rather a recreation of the room and performers! I was there, I was in the audience, and I was digging it! No live performance should ever, ever be recorded in 2 channels again.

P.S Where can I find more properly encoded 5.1 dd wavs on the net?

12. Vader

Vader Well-Known Member

Derek
    Real general (and probably naive) question....

I understand that NEO:6 is the DTS answer to Pro-Logic II, but can NEO be used on a Dolby Surround track. Or, should NEO be used only on a DTS 2.0 track (is there such a thing?), and DPLII only on Dolby 2.0 Surround tracks?

13. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Well-Known Member

14. Vader

Vader Well-Known Member

Derek
    Thanks, Phil!

15. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Well-Known Member

FWIW, the designer of Pro Logic II, (Jim Fosgate) was a big quadraphonic fan, and uses his invention almost exclusively for listening to music.
    Jim Fosgate: Of (Surround) Sound Mind

16. DJ Techmaster D

DJ Techmaster D New Member

I personally prefer the Neo:6 processor. I have an "Onkyo HT-R530" Receiver that has both processors and many more. Also, I have all 7 speakers installed in my room, so there is already a difference between the two off the bat, basically because the Neo:6 processor gives you an overall sound that comes from all 7 speakers, versus just 5 speakers. The Pro Logic II is good and clear as well, but It is confined to the 5 speakers, and most of the music runs through the center/ front speakers. It can be adjusted, but some people prefer audio-ready processors, versus the ones that you have to adjust in order for it to sound its best. So, if you were to have some audio that wasn't mastered right, or in poor quality, then it would just run through the center speaker and maybe the front speakers. In the Neo:6, the audio is already separated through all of the speakers, so it can take poor or unmastered audio and make it sound better than what is really is. Both processors are amazing, and they are both more than qualified for music, movies, and games! It's just your preference. -DJ Techmaster D -DJ and Sound Services

17. DJ Techmaster D

DJ Techmaster D New Member

To Johnathan,
    Yea, that could be true. On the other hand, If you play genres like Dubstep, Techno, Pop, and Hip- Hop on the Neo:6 processor, then they sound great as well. Especially with the songs that have complicated and deep instrumental backgrounds. With the Neo:6, you can hear basically every instrument/ effect that is used in the song. But yes, DPL II sounds good with those genres that you mentioned as well.