What's new

DTS-HD & Dolby TrueHD with Older Yamaha Receiver - Cable/Receiver Question (1 Viewer)

Relofish

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank
My old rear projection TV finally broke; and what a perfect opportunity to rebuild the entire HT set up. A few things have changed since my original set up 7 years ago. Component cables are no longer the most superior cabling standard and there are a few new audio formats. I am now running with the following set-up. -Sony 51" Bravia Z
-Bose 5.1 speakers (Accoustimas 10 series iv)-Sony BluRay Player BDP-S350
-PS3
-HD PVR
-Sony HDD/DVD RDR-HX750
-old Yamaha Receiver RX-V730

Any HDMI components are connected directly to the TV. This allows the non-techies to enjoy TV & Sound without turning on the receiver. For the occasional home theatre sound, i have used Coaxial and Optical cables between devices and receiver.

My questions are as follows:
1. If my Blu Ray player decodes DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD, does it matter that my Yamaha receiver only recognizes the older formats?
2. Are the optical/coaxial connections sufficient for carrying the newer HD audio formats to the receiver?
3. Do I really need to replace my receiver and if so, can you recommend something mid-range that would suit my Bose speakers?
4. Should that new receiver push high wattage because the speakers are capable of 200 watts per channel?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
1) You can't get the new formats with the 350 paired to the 730. If the 350 had 8 ch analog outputs like the 550 then you could.

2) Optical/coaxial connections are in-sufficient for the new formats. Not enough bandwidth.

3) If you want the new HD audio formats then you do need to replace it. Mid-range? To me, that's $500-$1000. Denon 2310/890, Onkyo 707/807, H/K 354/3600/3550, Pioneer Elite VSX-03 and 23, Yamaha 1065 and Marantz 6003. And probably a couple I've missed.

4) Any of these receivers should work. Don't be concerned with your speakers power ratings. Word of warning. Bose isn't thought of very highly on any of these type of forums. If your interested, do a search to find out why.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Any HDMI components are connected directly to the TV. This allows the non-techies to enjoy TV & Sound without turning on the receiver.
I would highly recommend that you look into a good activity-based remote control, like a Logitech Harmony remote. These remotes allow users to press one button (e.g. "Watch TV") and the remote will turn on all necessary components and set them to the proper settings for that activity. I purchased one of these because my wife falls into the non-techy category and also because it makes life much easier when we have company over who need to be able to use the tv. You can pick up a refurb model for under $50 . . . my wife constantly says its the best purchase I've made for our setup.

AudioENG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
Not sure you'd be missing out by not upgrading to the new audio formats. Especially if you're only occassionally doing home theater like you said. I'd say regular DTS and DD through a fiber optic or digital coax is fine for your current configuration, you'd probably need to upgrade quite heavily both receiver and speakers (remember the bose is only 5.1) to really notice the improvments the new audio formats offer over standard surround. It's about what you like, if you like the way your system sounds now don't bother changing it.

I def wouldn't worry about the wattage, a good quality receiver like the yamaha is going to give those bose speakers plenty of power and max out their capabilities.

Relofish

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank
Wow. You guys aren't messing around! Thanks for the well informed responses.
Gene - Can you clarify my understanding of point number 1? I'm reading this as if the 550 would have 7.1 channel output via 8 individual rca jacks . . . that would plug into 6 ch input for the 5.1 experience and deliver DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD. Do I have this correct?

Seth - Thanks. I do have the Harmony 550 but will probably sell it on ebay. It's a masterful device but all my components are tucked behind an opaque wooden cabinet. I've since been exploring the bravia sync capabilities and am trying to resist buying a sony receiver.

Tim - Thanks. I like your advice as I am satisfied with the visual and sound performance. Guess I was just trying to play catch up and maybe this isn't needed for my minimal BD use. Sadly, my TV is tuned in to 2 channel children's programming . . . most of the time.

Relofish

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank
Gene - I did my search on Bose and wow pretty harsh stuff out there. I'm going to ally with someone's comments about "WAF" (wife acceptance factor); and wrt "overpriced" i'm glad I got these at a pretty discounted price. What's everyone so mad about?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Gene - Can you clarify my understanding of point number 1? I'm reading this as if the 550 would have 7.1 channel output via 8 individual rca jacks . . . that would plug into 6 ch input for the 5.1 experience and deliver DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD. Do I have this correct?

Yes, this is correct. But you have to make sure the BluRay player has 7.1 analog outputs, internally decodes the new HD formats and sends the decoded signal out the 7.1's. A few early BR players had 7.1's analogs but didn't decode the new HD formats.

What's everyone so mad about?

The problem knowledgeable people have with Bose is they feel Bose uses gimmicks and marketing to con un-suspecting consumers to spend a lot of money on very average components. They advertise in main stream magazines and on tv to target consumers who know nothing about home audio. Suing Consumer Reports over a less than flattering review didn't help things.

AudioENG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
The other option for controlling the components is a different model harmony or comparable remote. I have the 890 because my components are in the basement below the living room due to not having enough room and reducing the clutter of components (even though it's not clutter to me I like seeing all the components, but my wife no so much). It uses RF to communicate to components behind doors, in other rooms ect. and also IR for the TV and any other components that are out in the open. Pretty awesome device, also pretty expensive though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks