What's new

DTS Death Screech? (1 Viewer)

Nick B

Stunt Coordinator
Hello All:

I am the happy owner of a Denon AVR-3803. It's performance has surpassed my expectations, with one notable exception.

When I have selected the DTS soundtrack from an appropriate DVD, much more often than not, I get a screeching noise that shakes my speakers (and guests)to death! It's horrible. The way I remedy it is by repeatedly pressing the Dolby/DTS button on the remote. Since the source I have selected is DTS, Dolby cannot engage. Instead, DTS keeps trying to engage. Usually by the 3rd or 4th press, the DTS engages normally and the screeching goes away.

Weird, huh? Any ideas? The one year warranty is almost up. Should I sent it back? Could this possibly be a problem with my set-up? Any thoughts/ideas are greatly appreciated.

Nick B

Nick B

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Chris, and thanks for your response. Not having my DVD player set correctly sounds just like something I would do. But it is set correctly. Add to that the fact that sometimes the DTS engages flawlessly the first time, and always engages eventually, after several pushes of the Dolby/DTS button. Kind of makes me go, "Hmmmmmmm...."

Nick B

JackS

Supporting Actor
Nick -I also think it might be your player. Try another one to prove or dissprove before blaming your receiver. This is an easy way to start the problem tracking. Good luck

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
this happened to me several times... when i posted it here i was told that the reciever doesn't sync properly to the DTS track when it does that... so when you swith it to DD and swithc back, the reciever starts over and tries to resync with the DTS...

try a new digital cable (coax or optical whichever u use), might help a bit

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What kind of cable are you using? If coax, make sure it is either a digital coax or composite video cable and not an audio cable. If optical, check to make sure the ends are properly inserted.

Nick B

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you for all of your responses. My player is a JVC. Not a very good one, and a few years old. I forget the model, but it does have progressive scan.

My cables are good. I use Blue Jeans. Composite for the video and digital out for the audio, because I believe the DACs in the receiver are much better than those in the player.

GaryArt

Auditioning
Dunno if this is gonna help, but I had something similiar happen. I have an older Panasonic DVD, set the PCM Downconversion to 'yes', and the problem went away (touch wood!). And yes, gawdawful sounds, I feel your pain. Maybe your JVC has some time of similiar setting option.....
Musta been touching some particle board, problem came back, now the the amp goes back.....

David Payne

Stunt Coordinator
This might be off the mark, but have you tried resetting your DVD player by leaving it disconnected from the mains for a while? I have a JVC DVD player and I used to get a screeching sound occasionally when I tried to use it (back in the days when I used the 3D Phonic option for my 'surround' sound!). I found doing a 'reset', as you would with sattelite TV decoders for example, solved it. The symptoms didn't match your description exactly, but it might be a similar problem.

Nick B

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you again for all of your responses. I have troubleshot the problem as being in the receiver. Specifically, it looked like the DTS encoder was going bad and only funcioning intermittently.

I sent the unit out for warranty service, and United Radio confirmed that the decoder was bad. Now they (and I!) are waiting for one to be sent out by Denon. Expected time to receive the part is 2-3 weeks. YIKES!

My children are already quite on edge. The other night, my daughter ran down to our HT, took out a DVD, and was just about to pop it in when she remembered. I thought I was going to need a tranquilizer. Perhaps they will rediscover books? Yeah. Right. Take care.

Nick B

Nick B

Stunt Coordinator
I know, I know. But I just got this one last Christmas. It's only 15 months old. The budget, she is stretched. Before I'd upgrade receivers, I would tube my truly old JVC XV-S60 DVD player and get a Denon 2910. Alas, that might have to wait for next Christmas...

Nick B

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks