What's new

DTS Battle of Britain coming to DVD packed with extras (1 Viewer)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Region 2 only as far as I know, but I'm sure a region 1 release can't be far behind.

Here are the specs...

Disc One:

2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen

Dolby Digital 5.1 (English)

DTS 5.1 (English)

Audio Commentary

Isolated Music Score - Dolby Digital 5.1

Disc 2:

"RAF Recollections" featurette (9min)

"Authenticity in the Air" featurette (22min.)

"A Film for the Few" featurette (20min.)

"Battle for the Battle of Britain" featurette (50min.)

Photo Gallery

Trailer

htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

It's mine! Mine! I've always been a huge fan of this film and this is a dream come true, I just hope it has the original closing credits and music (unlike the region 1 version).

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Thankfully I have a region-free player as I doubt that MGM will be in any big hurry to bring this to R1 since they released their budget priced disc only last summer. I must have it...

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
MGM has been known to revisit titles, notably "The Princess Bride", quite soon after a first attempt. They got the R1 BOB wrong last summer. Since they obviously spent $$ preparing the R2 version there should be little effort in getting a revised R1 copy out. Nuts like me and Steve will buy it over and over again. At least I have the LD with the correct ending.

Although I'm still waiting for them to release a decent version of Exodus.....

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Hey Michael, not to get off topic but what do you use for a region free player? How does has it worked for you? I'm in the market for a new player and would like it to be region free. Any suggestions or comments would be great!

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
This title came out in R1 from MGM not long ago and it sells for around $10-14. I don't see MGM as a studio that re-re-releases its titles like Columbia for example, but anything is possible :)

I have the soundtrack to the movie as well which is a fantastic listen, but a chance to hear it in full 5.1 Dolby Digital?!?!?

Maggi Magg

Stunt Coordinator
Well i will belive it when i see it.
I´m sceptic regarding the DTS track.(MGM has not been the most active studio releasing films in DTS)
Then again if true VERY NICE:D

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
JoshB:
I have the soundtrack to the movie as well which is a fantastic listen, but a chance to hear it in full 5.1 Dolby Digital?!?!?

The film was originally a mono mix. I was working at Pinewood Studios when it was done.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Pretty sceptical here too; and I can't believe a DTS track will sound any better. A mono track would be nice if it was included instead DTS, but DTS and DD 5.1 is overkill IMHO.

---
So many films, so little time...

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Here's an interesting bit of info for fans of William Walton, this from Ken Barnes at LaureateDVD.Com.

"I just received word from Joe Simpson, Vice President of MGM Home Entertainment (Europe) that a full-scale Special Edition of "The Battle of Britain" loaded with extras ( including a separate audio track for the wonderful score by Sir William Walton) will be issued in the U.K. late May/early June."

Which probably means the isolated score won't feature Ron Goodwin's famous Battle of Britain theme, sadly.

jonathan_little

Stunt Coordinator
So when the VP of MGM Home Entertainment (Europe) says "the wonderful score by Sir William Walton," I'm assuming he's either talking about the rejected score or he is confused as to who composed (most of) the music used in the film.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

There has long been a rumour that any SE of BoB would contain Walton's full restored score, something, before his death Ron Goodwin gave his full blessing to. But it would be nice to have the option of either score; I like Goodwin's score (and always chuckle when, on British ceremonial occasions, hear bands strike up his 'March of the Luftwaffe'), but Walton's 'Battle in the Air' really is, IMHO, the musical highlight of the original.

---
So many films, so little time...

Maurice McCone

Stunt Coordinator
there was a small article in the general press in the UK a few months back which flagged up that the Walton original score was being re recorded for a Reg2 release.

This is one that I am happy to buy again and swap my reg1 version.

the DTS will be icing on the cake - the commentary and other extras are the really good news. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks