What's new

DTS 5.1, Dolby Digital 5.1 - what is is the best?? (1 Viewer)

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
Personal preference, really. Do a search here and find literally years of debate on the topic.

Bill Mullin

Stunt Coordinator
One real difference, in my receiver at least, is that there is no dynamic compression offered when watching DTS movies. This usually means that I end up watching a DTS movie with the remote in my hand so that I can quickly change the volume when the sound becomes too loud or too soft. Additionally, movie events such as gun shots, car accidents, explosions, etc. become ear shattering. Because of this, I usually watch my movies in DD mode and using "standard" compression.

- Bill

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
I couldn't tell you what the differences are, if any......all I know is that when I'm buying a DVD, two things I look for are 1) widescreen format, and 2) DTS track. Number one is a must have, of course, and even though I can do without number two, I still get excited when I can watch a flick in DTS......even if it's just some dialogue driven drama with little use of the rears. I just like it better!

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
There isn't a difference that I care about. I would rather have the bandwidth available for video than a DTS track. I used to have DTS capability and now I don't and I don't miss it at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks