What's new

DSOTM SACD disc defect....check yours (1 Viewer)

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
My (Crest-made) copy has two cracks -- one radial and one following the curve of the hub.

Apparently, the key to getting a "good" copy is finding one without the "-US" at the end of the catalog number on the spine. I think there's a note on the back cover if the disc is made in Japan (which is one of the good versions).

Ryan

Ike

Screenwriter
I have the US version. What do the cracks look like? Can someone post a picture?

Chris_Eff

Stunt Coordinator
I found the cracks on my DSOTM however they are only confined to the inner most plastic ring. Does anyone actualy have a copy that the cracks have spread to the next ring and finaly to the data area? From looking at the disk the rings appear to be seperate pieces brought together.
I just bought the new 3 Doors Down SACD and found 3 about a mm of length cracks on the inner ring. I have not checked my Police or Allison K. live, hybrid disks yet.
If the cracks do indeed spread across these rings I am in trouble and will be disappointed as there are some great hybrids coming out from Uni, but I will not be discouraged if the cracks stay confined.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I too have the DSOTM disc and I have a crack that is next to the center hole and goes over 1/2 way around the hole. According to http://www.highfidelityreview.com/n...number=18441196
the only disc affected is the one pressed here in the USA. I will be trying to exchange my disc where I bought it and see if I can find a disc that was not pressed here. And see if that will make a difference also to see if there is a problem with any other pressings? I played my disc 3 times and have not played it since. I am concerned that the disc may fail inside my sacd player and I do not need the headache of taking my machine apart or taking it in so my warrenty is not voided.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I'm wondering if maybe it was limited to a specific production run, in that I have a US made disc, purchased last week, but no cracks...

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I checked my copy last and night and did not find any cracks. I bought my copy at a local Best Buy. What are the chances of getting a copy without cracks at the same retailer a person originally purchased it? Will a retailer like Best Buy take back the product after 30 days and/or without a receipt? Please let us know your experiences with trying to exchange.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
I checked mine and it doesn't have any cracks. However, I've played it just once so far. I wonder if the cracks appear after a certain number of plays or are there from the start. I'll be keeping an eye on it.

By the way, mine did NOT say it was manufactured at Crest.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
My copy has "1-US" at the end of the catalog number, which supposedly means it was made at the Crest plant. However, I see no cracks on the disc. I bought the disc at Best Buy the day it came out. Although I see no cracks, I am concerned that cracks will develop since I have not used the disc extensively. As a result, I am going to hunt for a Japanese pressing.

For the record, I have two Sony 'C555ES changers and have had no problems with them.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Luckly I still had my receipt and was able to exchange my DSOTM disc at my local Warehouse Music. When asked why I wanted to exchange it I just told them that it had cracked and that it was a production flaw. I walk out of the store with my new disc in hand. I was able to weed out a disc from a different plant so I hope everything will be fine with this disc. My first copy was played three times and cracked.

My SACD is a Sony DVP-S9000 ES

Hey Keith are the C555ES changers still available and is it a 5.1 model? I am thinking of purchasing one?

Al B. C

Supporting Actor

I think it's almost to the point where good floor models are getting real scarce.

I've seen a few on AudioGon recently. You might wanna check there.

Oh - it is Multi/Ch.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
what other 5.1 SACD player would anyone recomend ?

I am playing my replacment of DSOTM now and I am hoping it holds up. But I did not replace it with the US version so from what I have heard it should hold up.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hey Kevin,

If you look at the spline of the jewel case to the right of the title is the catalog number. The disc made at the Crest National plant has this number 724358213621 US, (S26713-C on the outer ring and S26713-H on the inner ring). I just looked for a cd that did not have the US marking on it. Also on the back of the jewel case on the left side under the capitol emblem. It should say where the disc was manufactured. The other two disc are made in Japan and Germany. My original US disc cracked after playing it 3 times. I most likely play this disc for most of the day to see if any cracks develope. After playing it 3 times no cracks have developed so far.

Other Titles on Hybrid SACD afected as reported by High Fidelity Review.
1.Broadway Inspirational Voices – ‘Grace’ (DMP SACD-17)
2.Bob Mintzer Big Band – ‘Gently’ (DMP SACD-18)
3.Warren Bernhardt, Jay Anderson & Peter Erskine – ‘Amelia’s Song’ (DMP SACD-19)
4.Ray Brown Trio ‘Soular Energy’ (Groove Note GRV 1015-3)
5.LA4’s ‘Just Friends’ (Groove Note GRV 1016-3)

I had no problem getting the disc replaced as all I had to do is explain that after playing it only 3 times it cracked. I hope that other chains will exchange disc's like the Warehouse Music did for me. :emoji_thumbsup:

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Dave- Awesome. I have what should be a bad one. Maybe cause I haven't played it yet. I like your idea of playing it a bunch of times to force it to fail, if it's ever going to. Thanks! :)

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
Crest Steps up to the plate......

I think more than 1/2 the people who purchased the defective discs will never know :D

I hope they are correct in saying the cracks will not affect playback.
My faith in SACD is somewhat restored....now only if those "low cost" universal players would hit the market:emoji_thumbsup:

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
We have examined the samples in our possession and the cracks are minute in size, and purely cosmetic.
Unless their definition of "cosmetic" differs from mine, that statement is wrong since there are some of those who have cracked discs which are no longer playable.

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
Also stated................

Limited to a very small number!

That doesn'seem right now - does it?

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
From Crest:

Next, accelerated aging and deterioration tests were conducted on SACDs of Dark Side of the Moon and Star Trek: Nemesis that had cracks present. The purpose of the tests was to see if the discs would remain playable over time and if cracking would increase and worsen upon extensive use. The results of the tests were that the discs remain playable (see statement).
Well, what do you know...another Internet "story" way, way, way overblown.

At least we know the truth now:

1. Affected very small number of discs.
2. Discs still remain playable after accelerated aging.

Now we can go back to discussing important things like title releases. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks