What's new

DSOTM SACD disc defect....check yours (2 Viewers)

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
It is being reported in other fourms that the inner part of the disc is developing cracks. Some are blaming the disc holder and some believe it is the disc itself. My copy is fine.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
The cracks are part of Sony's "stealth marketing" approach.

On the shelf it looks like any other CD, but without knowing - customers are getting the cracks as a bonus. ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

Mark All

Second Unit
I thought hybrid SACDs were being manufactured in more than one plant now. I wonder if the problem is caused by the extra layering/sandwiching required to make a hybrid disc that can be broken if flexed too much from the center of the disc.

Al, have the cracks in your copy extended to the data area and rendered the disc unusable? I guess the cracks develop because of the need to flex the disc to get it out of the jewel case. I wouldn't read anything into an implied warranty statement. If a disc is defective, I'd take it back to the store where I got it and ask for a replacement. I've had DVDs pop out of the holder in shipment before and become scratched inside the case. It's very frustrating for this to happen, but I've never had an exchange problem once I show what happened to the disc.

I've never had any cracking problems with my hybrid discs, SACDs, DVDs, CDs, CDR's, etc. Some of the holders with my Rolling Stones discs are very tight and require being very careful when removing the discs so as not to flex them too much.

Al B. C

Supporting Actor

I don't think so, but I have had this disc lock up at least twice on my c555es and no other disc has ever done this before.

So - who knows?

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
My copy has cracks as well. Never noticed it, but thank you for posting!!

I still have my receipt. Getting another copy and will post experience...

Cheers,

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Seven cracks, no receipt. :thumbsdown:

This drive has locked up once in my DVD-S2300. No other SACD, CD, DVD, or DVD-A has

If you put this in a CD-R/DVD-R drive, be very careful. Speeds above 16x or so have a decent chance of the disc 'exploding' and trashing your drive.

John Wes

Stunt Coordinator
Well dang......Mine has 2 cracks and no receipt.

I guess I'm not that disappointed....after all, Sony had a hand in it's development...figures... :star:

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
This could become a big fiasco. The disclaimer put on the disc about playing compatibility is starting to make sense now. Sony will not be held responsible for incompatibility due to self destruction of their discs.

J

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Mine is OK, but I did just buy it this week. I guess I'll have to keep an eye on it. Cracks would indicate a stress problem, which might be due to the extra layer, or some problem during the actual manufacturing of the disc.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
:frowning: I just bought my copy two this friday and now I am frantically looking for my receipt. I will be watching this disk like a hawk! I hope this is an isolated problem with this cd. Have any of you been playing the disc in your cd roms? I am wondering if the disc is not up to the higher rpms of the 40 to 50 x cd roms? I realize that the sacd can not be played on the pc but I am just wondering if the cd part is being played in your pc?

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
I put it in a portable CD player to listen to the CD layer and thought that the locking mechanism might have caused it. Great post, I'll be exchanging it and taking my reciept along with a printout of this thread.

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
WAAAAAAHHHH!!!! Mine has 2 cracks!!! And I just played it three times! :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

I feel so awful today. I guess I'll wait for a couple of weeks (months?) before buying a new copy (since I bought it mail order, I don't think it's worth the hassle sending it back).

WAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
DSOTM has been in my 222ES player since its release. No cracks at all, but I will keep periodically looking!

Jeff Lund

Stunt Coordinator
Just to check in, no cracks on my DSOTM. I feel bad because I saved my receipt and I don't need it :angry:

DennisK

Agent
I checked mine and it has several cracks. So far I haven't noticed any playback problems. I've never used it in anything but my dv45a, so it's not related to computer usage. I would think this is a manufacturing defect and not necessarily related to the multiple layers since that has been used successfully in DVD discs for quite some time.

Since this appears to be a common problem, I would hope that capitol would take the right steps and recall the disc offering a free replacement. As much as I love the disc I'm certainly not going to pay for another one. I guess this is one more reason to regret they didn't release it on dvd-audio.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Returned my cracked disc, got another copy, and that one looks fine.

Notice on the back of the DSOTM SACD, in small type, it says something like "disc is sold AS IS" (all caps included!). Geez, that's pretty crappy. Glad I returned my copy in case stores get word not to accept returns.

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks