What's new

DSOTM on DVD-Audio...is coming! (1 Viewer)

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I believe any video would likely borrow heavily from, if not consist entirely of, the film that was projected onto the circular screen behind the concert stage. Not that seeing any of that is a bad thing, though. What works for eye candy in concert works just as well as a video on VH1. I hope any DVD-A release will include it.

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Well it is now 9/6/06 Time Warp!! but is this ever going to be "Officially" Released on DVD-Audio any news?? I have the SACD version but Do Not have my Universal Player to hear this :frowning:

I listen to DVD-A thru my computer and I am really liking the Surround and Hi Rez Format but I would like to hear Some Floyd in this format THNX!!

-Gerald

I found this Thread thru a Google Search lol!!

Greg Bright

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregory Bright
Th DVD-A of DSOTM is probably still available as a Torrent from several sites. Then you burn it to DVD. It is a totally different mix than the SACD. Quite spectacular, actually.

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Hi Thnx for the Reply but I have that altho it is not working right but i Did Not wanna open that can of worms as the one I have it is an MPEG File and Only plays thru PowerDVD?? Altho it sounds good I liked the mix but...

I just wanted to know if the "Official" Version will EVER be released it would make my life so much easier??

-Gerald

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I have a copy of this that a kind soul sent to me. :) I am now suitably motivated to listen to this over the next few days and compare it to the SACD. Life keeps getting in the way of the stuff I want to do...

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Hi Kevin did you get a chance to listen to this Excellent version of DSOTM??

I just cant wait till I get my Denon 2910 and SVS Sub to play it on too compare the versions, I would like to hear what you have to say about the 2 different versions.

-Gerald

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
The dvd-audio is a 4.1 channel version of the quad release. From what I've read, it is much more agressive in the rears than the SACD is. I think PF liked the SACD more, not sure why.

Luna5

Agent
Real Name
Bob Buettner
I've had the DVDA of DSOTM for quite a while...yeah downloaded it and burned it.I must say that the mix is very good....the SACD has a more subdued sound ( DVDA is brighter) but the mix does sound more like what they sounded like when I saw them in concert..more emphasis on the surround channles. The echos in US and Them travel from channel to channel with much more seperation being the most obvious. Very similar to what I heard in concert...many moons ( pun intended) ago! Would be very interesting if it ever gets ofifcially released on DVDA.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I think PF liked the SACD more, not sure why.
The AP version i.e. the dvd-audio version is supposed to be missing certain guitar parts (can't remember off hand exactly which*) because AP was under pressure to make that 4.0 version in a small amount of time. I always thought that was the main reason why PF didn't accept the quad mix back then.

But then there's the fact that IIRC, EMI commissoned AP to do the quad mix without asking PF first i.e. kind of behind their backs. PF's irritation concerning this became public knowledge when they didn't show up at the official release party for the 4.0 version, instead sending cardboard cutouts of themselves. :)

Also, factor in that the bandmembers of PF in 2003 probably have different priorities - who knows what they would have preferred way back in 1973.

* the music does have a very slightly different sound to it without those parts. I still like the album, but I have to admit if MY heart-felt album was missing some of ITS original parts I wouldn't be too happy either (if that was PF's actual beef with EMI).

Check this out!

Highfidelityreview.com reviews the AP dvd-audio version

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks