What's new

DSOTM on DVD-Audio...is coming! (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
There's supposed to be some guy out there named Alan Parsons, who might be delighted to work on the material.
I think Pink Floyd has somehow severed ties with Alan given that he was not chosen for the Super Audio. He also seems very peeved with EMI. It might be very difficult to work with him on the product, although it would be interesting to hear his take. I wonder if the band was disappointed with Alan since James has been doing all the Floyd work lately.

robertLP

Stunt Coordinator

Wow, you got that from my post? Instead of trying so hard to read in between the lines, how about just sticking to reading the actual lines?

Sounds like somebody peed in your Cheerios this morning...try not to take it out on everyone else.

Rob

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I thought they tasted a bit, you know, funny. But I assure you I enjoyed them. Still... I need to have word with the milkman.

Brian-W

Screenwriter
Until there is a formal announcement from EMI, this is pure speculation.

According to this weeks "Video Business", they have an article on high-rez formats, and some interesting quotes and comments. Quote #1 is that "DSOTM is not coming out on DVD-A" and that Pink Floyd specifically requested it be on SACD and not DVD-A. Don't know how much truth there is to this.

The second interesting quote by a record executive was "neither record companies nor consumers will decide the success of high-rez audio (and which formats) but the artists themselves."

Again, whether true or not (go on, debate it until your blue in the face!) it was interesting to read.

So until there is a formal press release or other announcement from EMI of an impending DVD-A release, it's all pure speculation to me at this point (maybe false hopes)

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
21,000 copies in one week in the middle of a war/recession and surpassing Eminem and Celine Dion on the same chart?
Yes a good achievement:emoji_thumbsup: but DSOTM has sold 15 million in a 30 year run while Eminem has sold 8 million in 2 years....you can't use sales as a indicator..cause it is a very sharp double sword

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
For an album which has been remastered many times, current sales are very good given the current state of the economy. I also think that it will be available on DVD-A, but in the manner EMI has done this it has brought good stealth stocking of SACD inventory in the regular CD section and certainly not hurting an effort to make the format more than a niche and closer to mainstream and at the same time as an afterthought producing a DVD-A to be stuck in some special 'isolation ward' after the fact is not doing DVD-A a huge favor. What's next, the Beatles to be done this way? This is about EMI making more money from a project which is OK. It certainly is not giving an equal boost to DVD-A vs. SACD to help move it from a niche market to something more mainstream at prices like those of current CDs. Warner releasing stuff by popular artists like Fleetwood Mac and others at about CD pricing and exclusively on DVD-A will help the format more.

PS - urine is much better on Froot Loops vs. for those who wish to know.:D

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Ummmm... nothing cuts the citrus harshness of the orange loop quite like thick, golden, ammonia-packed urine, especially if it's still "bladder warm".
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

francisco-a

Agent
I think it´s unfair a possible release of Dark Side of The Moon on DVD Audio for SACD. Why you will ask?

First, i´m not engineer, I´m still at School, but I have learned quite a lot after reading what you, the guys who really knows teach all of us.

It will be unfair because they already will have the experience of SACD, no matter who will work with the album. We all here in this forum are saying wich part of the surround mix sound good and which ¡¿"BAD"?!. So, for example, one guy says that when the clocks on Time start to ring, he doesnt like how the rear left speaker sound, or anoher says that Gilmour´s voice on Money sounds weak (Im just inventing over here) they will now not how to fix it, and then DVD-A fans will say that "they" win, and they don´t, they cheat because they have the SACd release to catch up all the possibles mistakes commited.

Why not DVD-A release Wish You Where Here or The Wall first, so they will be working starting from nothing. No, not even The Wall, cause´they have the experience of The Wall DVD-V to improve that version.

Just a little tought.

Francisco, Chile.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Lets not use the economy as an excuse for sales one way or another. Before the recent downturn, Hi-res, both DVD-A and SACD, were not flying off the shelves to begin with.

I do find the sales number a bit interesting though. A new CD only release of DSOTM would probably have putten up the exact same numbers (12,000 more copies then usual). With a big title like this and over 1 million SACD players sold, I would have expected that number to be much larger in the first week of release (where there is the largest bump in sales). Once again this proves the point that most people are still not buying Hi-res (and music in general), including those who have players with the capability.

J

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Once again this proves the point that most people are still not buying Hi-res (and music in general), including those who have players with the capability.
What??? How do you get to this???

First, economy does matter regardless of what other hirez labels sold in the past.

Second, saying people are not buying this for the hirez version is not knowable since it is (a) too early (just a week's numbers and (b) SACD sales are not broken out on hybrids.

Third, how do you know those who had SACD players did not buy the hybrid for SACD capability? I bet 100% of the time they did. At most one might conclude that the release is just starting to be sold in Europe/Asia or that some of the 1 million players are owned by classical and jazz fans (although I bet a few of these people, like me, like DSOTM) or that some players are used as DVD only devices.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Third, how do you know those who had SACD players did not buy the hybrid for SACD capability? I bet 100% of the time they did.
Using the comments from all of the Home Theater related boards as an indicator, it looks like everyone who is gung ho about Hi-res bought the disc the first week (myself included). This suggests that the largest SACD bump is already included in the sales numbers. Once again this shows with actual data that most people are not buying Hi-res, even those who own Hi-res players. Lee, 100% of 2% is still 2%, no matter how you spin it.

I am as pro-SACD as they come and want the format to succeed (I even did my calculations in an SACD biased manner), but I not wearing SACD colored glasses and trying to make out sales numbers to be more then what they are. DSOTM is nice to have in Hi-res, but sometimes perspective is needed before we all go overboard.

J

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
There's the distinct possibility that such work has been underway for some time.
Back to the subject at hand.

What if work was completed in PCM before Sony showed EMI the money? The SACD could very well have come from PCM masters, as it wouldn't make sense to remix everything to DSD if the PCM work was already completed. This is all speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be true, especially if the work was done. I am still happy in how the SACD turned out, even if it was possibly downconverted from PCM. I am still looking forward to the DVD-A for improved sound quality possibly, as well as the visuals that will be part of the package.

J

BrianMagog

Stunt Coordinator
Let's not forget (1) the number is "taken primarily from retail record outlets and generally do(es) not include results from web stores and outlets that carry audiophile discs" (which could be a very large number given the way SACDs are purchased); and (2) this is one week's worth of sales. We'll have a better picture of the sales for this disc when internet sales and more weeks are factored in. I'm still pleased at the numbers myself, and I don't have an SACD or a DVD-A player yet (heck, I bought it for the redbook layer!)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
My thanks go to Joel Plante, who so ably assisted me through this entire process. To Billy Woodman and all at ATC for designing and building such great speakers, which you will hear this evening. To Tim de Paravicini for all of his outstanding studio equipment. To Ed Meitner, who’s A to D converter was used in the transfer to DSD. And to Charlie Bolois, who not only wired and maintains my studio, but who also re-built the two EMT 140 echo plates, so that we would have great analogue echo for this mix.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I give up. You have made me see the errors in my ways, Lee. DSTOM is causing thousands upon thousands of people across the country to run out and buy SACD players. Just look at the first week's sales, they are only going to go up each week from here on out. If the audiophile websites where thousands and thousands shop each day report their sales, just think how high the sales numbers might go. Maybe in a couple months they will be selling over 100,000 DSOTM SACD per week. If it only wasn't for that consumer apathy and economy...this SACD may have ruled the world.......

J

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks