What's new

Drive - ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Nah, Fox's mode of operation is that they will give anything four episodes, even high-risk shows like Drive, but that if a show doesn't find its audience right off, it's not going to. It's a position that tends to be supported by the facts, but can be annoying to the audience.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

Eh, I don't think that's the case at all. 24 had a very weak first year and Fox stuck with it. House also stumbled and didn't catch on until it was paired with American Idol in the second half of it's first season. Bones has never been a big hit and it's already been renewed for next season. Same with Prison Break. They've also stuck with 'Til Death a lot longer than most networks would with the numbers it was putting up early this season. And I'll certainly stand by them keeping Arrested Development on the air for three seasons almost only on the basis of it's critical acclaim.

I really have no confidence that any other network would have been any better or showed anymore patience than Fox has. They all have a history of dumping some promising shows after only a few episodes. Even a sacred cow like HBO has prematurely ended some of it's darlings like Rome, Deadwood, and Carnivale.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Rome was only supposed to be a miniseries and they extended it and brought it back for a second season. As for Drive, cancellations are affecting me as I have no intention of watching it until I see what Fox does with it. I'll catch it later if it survives.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
Yes, Fox is sometimes quick on the trigger to cancel shows, but sometimes that's justified -- and Drive looks like one of those times. The ratings I've seen are CW level.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'll never understand this attitude. How is denying oneself any of a good thing better than getting some of it?

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I know where he's coming from with that attitude, Jason, it irritates me to no end when a show I like get's canned and it makes me want to swear off television altogether. Of course i'm talking out of my ass when I say that but it does cross my mind, I equate the cancellation of a show to someone walking into the room while i'm watching a great film for the first time, turning it off and telling me that I will never get to see how it ended.

Chuck Schick

Stunt Coordinator
The first episodes hotel scene in Florida is the Marina Del Rey Marriott in SoCal. And the extended scene with Tully, his blonde partner and the man stalking them takes place at my local gas station 10 minute walk from the Marriott.

Sorry guys, sometimes locations are faked. But Im sure very rarely. ;)

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member

Now that that's out of the way, let's get back to discussing the show. I'll enjoy reading the comments of those of you investing your time to watch and comment.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Quote:
"And I am not going to have sex with Elisha Cuthbert until she takes an IQ test."

It was a joke. I guess you wait for your sense of humor to come out on DVD too.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It is, effectively - Minear seems to imply that it was always plotted out for 13 episodes, with ideas for how to continue it should it get a second-season pick-up. I think they're filming (or have filmed) all thirteen episodes; it's just a matter of when and where they get shown.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I hope they filmed the entire 13 episode arc and that it will stand on it's own. I wish the networks would follow the leads of FX, TNT, Sci Fi, and British TV. and just commit to a 6-13 episode season with a satisfying conclusion. Then, if it did well enough, do another short self-contained season.

todd s

Senior HTF Member

You know producers of shows that are new, that have a story arc and are not guaranteed a full order should take a cue from Babylon 5. If they only got a 6 episode order at first. Make sure the 6th episode can be used as the finale if the show is cancelled. If its not. Just hold the episode until the last for the season.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
We've already seen half of the six, and we're just over the line into Georgia. If the sixth episode were to wrap everything up, it would be incredibly lame. I don't want to be left without a resolution, either, but if it happens, it happens.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
From what I understand (know someone on the crew) there is a cliffhanger at the end of the 6 episodes. Keep your fingers crossed that they film all 13.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
If the ratings stay at the level they were at for the first 2 nights, I doubt the remaining episodes will be filmed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks