1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Dreamworks out of the 2D animation business!

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Brian Kidd, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter

It's a sad day. Yet another studio has abandoned traditional animation. You can read the story here. This is truly sad. I love computer animation as much as anyone. Heck, I think that the Pixar films have been the finest group of animated films to come out since the classic Disney years of the 1930's and 1940's. However I think that there is a beauty to hand-drawn animation that will never be duplicated by computer animation. SNOW WHITE, PINOCCHIO, BAMBI, the WB cartoons, WATERSHIP DOWN, etc. are proof of how a simple line can elicit strong emotions in humans. Bad stories have killed traditional animation, not the animation itself. Truly pathetic.

2. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

3. Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins Producer

That's too bad. We really enjoyed PRINCE OF EGYPT from Dreamworks, as well as ANASTASIA from 20th Century Fox. I hope the other studios can make some decent stories.

4. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Look no further than Japan for your quality 2D animated productions. The American animation field has fallen into mediocrity... and doesn't look like it is gonna come out. I think it all has to do with the widespread belief that "cartoons" are for children...

Animation aimed at adults hasn't been tried in a couple of years here in the US (Sure, sure... there was Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, but we all know how THAT went) while in Japan, animation is a perfectly accepted form of adult entertainment both on television and the cinema.

I think it's all got to do with the US's widespread "Borg" attitudes that cannot be changed. [​IMG]

5. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

Rob, I knew you'd say something like that!