What's new

Dreamgirls: Director’s Extended Cut (1 Viewer)

David (C)

Stunt Coordinator
MTV: Was much cut from the film?

Condon: There are about eight minutes that I will put back in for the extended cut [on DVD]. There was one song called "Effie, Sing My Song" right before "One Night Only." It's where Keith sings this plea to her to kind of forgive him.

Thu, December 07, 2006

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
I figured this owuld be put back as it is on the 2-CD set. Honestly, the scene works just fine without it though...

I wonder if "When I First Saw You" will be restored as a duet as it is in one of the bonus tracks.

Corey

Screenwriter
can't wait 4 this to come out on dvd!!! i can see it selling like pirates of the caribbean.

Alejandro

Stunt Coordinator
David © do you have the rest of the interview? I'd love to read it.

Chuck, you mean the duet restored in the movie? cause I think it is just a music bonus track to be shown on MTV and such, not a scene shot and discarded from the movie.

I'd also loooove to see the screen tests of Beyonce (I've only seen glimpses on the official site) and Jennifer Hudson's. I guess asking for the other Effie wannabe's screen tests would be too much (Fantasia who?)

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if they'll explore the whole "Supremres roman a clef" thing in the extras. If they're really smart, they'll have Mary Wilson do a commentary on the DVD!

David (C)

Stunt Coordinator
Alejandro there’s a link to the full interview. I only posted the part concerning the extended version for DVD.

Alejandro

Stunt Coordinator
Am I blind or what? in my browser the link has this light grey tone I didn't notice.
Thank you David.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
It'll probably just be in the deleted scenes. RENT and THE PRODUCERS both had things cut only to be left in deleted scenes land (even though they are fully shot and edited and so forth).

David (C)

Stunt Coordinator
I figured Paramount would do it with ‘seamless branching’ along with a deleted scenes section. I wonder who’ll get to produce the DVD?

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
There is also a scene that existed in previews that was cut. They showed a clip on one of the interview shows (maybe Oprah.) It was a love scene between Hudson and Foxx.

David (C)

Stunt Coordinator
The original test-screening version apparently contained this scene? I’m optimistic it’ll find it’s way in the alternate version or the deleted scenes section of the disc.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Amazon is currently discounting the current Blu-ray release by a pretty deep 63% to $10.99, which was enough to make me pounce on upgrading it. (The original release was issued before I got a Blu player, and by the time I did, Paramount had pulled their HD-DVD exclusivity stunt.) I'm glad to finally have this coming my way in hi-def, but it begs the question, what ever happened to the director's cut we were supposed to get? I wonder if Amazon is running the discount simply to get rid of unsold inventory or because there's a new edition in the works. (It seems to be quite low even for a Paramount catalog title; by point of comparison, Babel, another release from around the same time, is $14.49 on sale.) And yet...the timing for a new version seems kind of random. seeing as the title is a few years old and "old news" by now, I would have thought we would have this by now. Paramount doesn't have another musical in the pipeline for a while to tie the re-release into, either.

Further, I thought the theatrical cut was/is fantastic and we don't really need to see a longer version...but still, I am curious to see the alternate version.

Does anyone know anything?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks