What's new

Dream Theater's new DVD "Score" (1 Viewer)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Fans of DT will not be disappointed in this new 2-disc set. The first DVD is the 2006 tour-ending concert at Radio City Music Hall celebrating DT's 20th anniversary (hence the "Score" title). A full orchestra is brought in halfway through the concert to give an extra dimension to songs such as "Octavarium, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (SDOIT), and Sacrificed Sons." The second DVD contains a one-hour documentary of the band's history as well as a few bonus tracks.

The big surprise for me was how great the orchestra made SDOIT sound. This under-appreciated song (or suite of songs) really shows off the classical side of DT and its keyboardist, Jordan Rudess, in particular. And I don't think James LaBrie's voice has ever sounded better live.

I only wish the concert contained an audio commentary track, as many of the band's previous efforts do. Regardless, this DVD is a must-have for any Dream Theater fan!

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
VH1 Classic channel had a one hour special on this show. I wasn't sure if I was going to buy "Score" since Octavarium is not one of my favorite DT albums but after seeing the VH1 Classic show I'm sold. I'll pick it up this weekend.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
Is the DVD anamorphic? On the DVD Talk review, the reviewer said 1.78:1 widescreen but made no mention of anamorphic enhancement. Then on his discussion thread, the reviewer sounded as if he didn't know the meaning of "anamorphic."

It would make viewing this on my widescreen TV much more enjoyable.

Ryan L. Bisasky

Second Unit
yep its anamorphic. great show btw. Unlike many bands that have done the whole "play with an orchistra" thing, it actually works with dream theater due to the style of music they play and that for songs like octavium and sacrificed sons, they actually used an orchistra on the album. Also, you could litterally hear the "holy shit" sound from the audience right as the orchistra started up "metropolis pt 1".

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
"Score" is worth getting for some of the unreleased songs. (Another Won, Raise The Knife)

I hate the CD packaging. The CDs are loose and it is hard to get one out without others going flying. Also, I'm disappointed that there is no booklet with photographs from the show.

Jason

Rob_D

Agent
I've really lost intereset in Dream Theater is the last few years. Octavarium was very week, IMO and Train Of Thought was only so so. I also never watch the Budokan DVD anymore, which I feel is a very flat and uninspiring performance.
Scenes From A Memory was a progressive rock masterpiece, it just seems to me that they will never come close to that again.

The orchestra on Score does spark my interest but, not sure I'll take the plunge

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
Btw an hour of this show has been shown on MHD and will be shown again a few more times in the next few weeks.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

They like to change things up a lot from release to release, though (look at their last three studio albums -- totally different styles) -- I bet they'll put something out that you'll like again. :)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'm probably one of the few Dream Theater fans that doesn't hold up SFaM as being the greatest thing Dream Theater had ever done. I've accepted that since Kevin Moore left, that their songwriting is going to be somewhat subpar. Still, I find songs that I enjoy and parts that still blow my mind.

Jason

Sheldon C

Second Unit
Goose bumps. That pretty much sums up my experience of watching this dvd for the first time yesterday.

The band has always sounded amazing live, but for the first time James Labrie sounded great too. In the past he always sounded a bit (or a lot) flat and he sounded like he was straining. Not the case at this concert.

This dvd is dangerous. I found myself constantly turning up the volume and the louder the system went the better it sounded.

I didn't really get into Octavarium too much, but I found myself really enjoying those songs, almost as much as the songs from the albums I prefer.

I don't pretend to know enough about music and musicians to make some typical statement like "these guys are the best musicians ever", but damn...all four of those guys can sure play the hell out of their instruments. Is John Myung ever mentioned among the best bass players? He is so impressive on this and their last dvd.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

He probably would be if you could hear him. Sometimes I think DT took their mixing ideas from And Justice For All!

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Nothing DT has made has sounded as bad as ...And Justice For All. Great songs, but a really crappy sounding disc.

Myung has been more visible in later releases. I think because DT likes to pack things in so dense, they don't give enough room for Myung to show up in the mix.

Jason

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Anyone here who doesn't own the When Dream And Day Reunite DVD should go to ytsejamrecords.com and get right now. It probably won't be in print much longer.

Awesome show, and a 70 min. documentary with tons of live and interview footage from the '88-'90 era.

It's funny to see them playing Metropolis with Charlie Dominici out at clubs back then. I can tolerate him on the debut record, but he was SO bad live.

Regarding SFAM, I think it's significant because it showed they went back to the things that made them great after the disappointing (but still good IMO) Falling Into Infinity. But in my book I&W and Awake will always be better. Kevin Moore's lyrics and songwriting are still missed-he had a unique voice that fit well with Petrucci's writing.

I think Rudess is great, but he's a little too "orthodox" in sounds and phrasing. But he has grown on me.

And being a bass player, I've been telling people Myung is one of the greats for a long time. Yeah he gets the shaft in the mix most of the time, but you can still hear his work if you listen for it. Hell, he's the one that inspired me in 1994 to start playing 5 and 6 string bass. I haven't owned a 4 string since.

I have had a chance to watch Score in its entirety, but from what I previewed Myung was quite audible-the most he has ever been. Looking forward to seeing it.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

I still think FII is very underrated. Really, I think DT had some of their best songwriting on that album. To me, Lines In The Sand is the best DT song ever. Part of the problem was that they chose some of the wrong songs, since the outtakes were stronger than some of the songs that made the album.

After the initial excitement of SFAM, I just find that it doesn't hold up that well as a concept album. DT's writing just isn't strong enough. There are some great songs on the album, but I don't think it is all that.

Jason

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
I'm not crazy about Scenes from a Memory. I do, however, think that Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence may be the best prog-rock album since Going for the One, which definitely puts me in a tiny minority.

I can't wait to hear the Overture from SDoIT with an orchestra. The album version is the album's only weakness.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I'm with you Andrew...I think 6DOIT is easily the best record of the Rudess era so far. "Misunderstood" and "Disappear" are two of the best songs they have ever done. Maybe because it seems like they took a chance with those.

Regarding FII, I agree there are some great tunes like "Lines In The Sand", with the sweome "Hell's Kitchen" lead-in, "Trial Of Tears" and even "A New Millennium", although I'm not crazy about the vox on that.

I think another problem with FII was the use of multiple studios. Certain songs sound much better than others-almost like the whole record was not mixed at once. "You Not Me" sounds quite bad to my ears, while "Lines In The Sand" sounds great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks