What's new

Dream Theater - Train of Thought (1 Viewer)

Todd Schnell

Second Unit
I also give this record a :emoji_thumbsup:

???
Scratching my head here. Images & Words is a definitive progressive metal record. The break on Metropolis for instance is completely over the top.
Dream Theater's over the top soloing & huge instrumental breaks have been there from the beginning. It is part of what is cool about their style imo.

Brian L
Yes same thought here on the intro riff reminding of Black Sabbath. Also there is a radio edit of As I Am which does not do justice to the full album version. Sonics are also very good. Also Mike Portnoy in chat posted on his forum http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/ - has mentioned that if sales go well a DVD-A release would follow. The record was recorded with this in mind. Bring it on!

How I would rate the DT studio catalog:

When Dream And Day Unite = A-
Charlie Dominici on vocals sounds similar to Geddy Lee of Rush. DT is obviously hugely influenced by Rush.

Images And Words = A+
Considered the blueprint for progressive metal by many.

Awake = A
Less technical & heavier than I&W.

A Change Of Seasons = A-
A killer 23min epic song!

Falling Into Infinity = C
Blah! DT giving into the the record label. Some good songs & a few of their worst or the worst. More prog-rock than metal. Some really love this one though.

Scenes From a Memory = A-
Great record! As much a prog-rock as a metal record.

Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence = B+
Good record. Disc 2 starts off great, then fizzles out toward the 2nd half imo.

Train of Thought = A- (too early but I'm really liking it)
Their heaviest. Some of the influences are a bit too obvious, but still good stuff.

Todd

Peter Mazur

Second Unit

True, but again on their earlier releases they had an outside producer to reign them in a bit. The last three albums contain what I consider to be ridiculously over-the-top soloing. The solos on the latest all sound the same, just busy-bee sounding noise. And that is too bad because their are some killer riffs in most of these songs. Shorten each song by about 2-3 minutes and it would be perfect. All in my opinion of course :D

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Man, thanks to everyone for their views on DT! My Amex card is already starting to feel warm in anticipation of my next CD order.

I sure hope this sells well, because a DVD-A would have the potential to be the prototype for what a hard rock/metal MC album can sound like.

Listening to ToT a bit more, I can say that I am hearing additional snippets that maybe bring to mind Rush, Tool, Rage Against the Machine, Zakk Wylde (the harmonics that Petrucci gets are pretty much everywhere on Zakk's work solo and with Ozzy), Vai, and the vocals in places even conjure up images of Freddie Mercury (and I mean that as a high compliment).

But what I really like is that it doesn't sound like a rip off of anyone; just a lot of different styles thrown into a blender with amazing results.

I am also liking the fact that there is obviously lots of metal/speed metal here (with solos that are totally mind bending), but the melodies are great, and the vocals are understandable.

So much metal today sounds to me like a bunch of drunk bikers with 40lb. gonads, (no offense intended, bikers with large nuts) screaming at the top of their lungs. I mean really, whats the point.

ToT is so expertly crafted and played, its totally amazing to listen to all the ground that is covered.

BGL

Todd Schnell

Second Unit

Peter while Metropolis would be the most over the top example, it is not the only song on Images & Words with over the top instrumentation. Take The Time, & Under A Glass Moon also come to mind. In fact Petrucci stated at the time that the solo duel with Kevin on Take The Time was the hardest thing to do on the record.

I'll also disagree with the "just busy-bee sounding noise" analysis on Train Of Thought. It does seem Petrucci is going for all out balls to the wall soloing. I love shredding guitar, but usually my favorite solos contain slowing down, bends, melody, & speed. Sometimes all out shred works for me too. So while not my favorite JP soloing on here I do make sense of & enjoy the soloing. Anyway opinions on music are certainly subjective. To each their own. :)

I also think Kevin Moore is missed in the song writing department more than any producer. Just my .02.

Off the top of my head I did think Kevin Shirley co produced with DT on the last few records, but I was wrong. He was involved, but not as producer. So just breezing through my cd data base & for what ever it's worth here is what I come up with on the production on each DT studio record.

When Dream And Day Unite
Produced by - Terry Date and Dream Theater

Images And Words
Produced by - David Prater

Awake
Produced by - John Purdell & Duane Barron

A Change Of Seasons
Produced by - David Prater & Dream Theater

Falling Into Infinity
Produced by - Kevin Shirley

Scenes From a Memory
Produced by - Mike Portnoy and John Petrucci

Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence

Train of Thought

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Man, my tastes with Dream Theater definitely differ from the people posting on this thread...but I'm a "prog" guy so I guess that makes sense. Metropolis is my favorite DT song of all time. Scenes From A Memory is easily their best album from beginning to end in my eyes. Still can't get into Train Of Thought (after at least 15-20 listens).

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
ScottH,

I almost totally agree with you. Can't get into Train of Thought. I really don't love Awake. "Metropolis Part 1" was my favorite DT song for years. But I think Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence is their best album by a wide margin. I am very much in the minority, though.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Thanks again for the helpful suggestions for this DT noob.

"Awake" and "Images and Words" are now on the way....other titles likely to follow.

Happy New Year!

BGL

Paul E. Fox II

Second Unit
Just thought I'd chime in here again to give my opinion on this:

On a side note, this freakin forum has caused me to spend soooo damn much money on new music and equipment
Same thing happened to me a couple years ago. My cousin burned me a rather crappy copy of Images and Words and a REALLY crappy copy of a VHS Tape with DT playing away on it. I jumped on here to check out this band and Mr. Broadman started talking...next thing I knew, I was dropping the hammer on THEIR ENTIRE CATALOG from CD Now.

I love these guys...what musicians they are. You can also check out some Spock's Beard, Transatlantic, Marillion and most definately try to get both of the Liquid Tension Experiment CDs.

HEHEHE...it only gets worse:D

Dave Manning

Auditioning
Dream Theater is great. Top notch band.. Love all the releases..

ya'll should check out:

Pain of Salvation..

I think I listen to them more than Dream Theater now..

Remedy Lane is so Deep, Complex, Sad, Emotional and intelligent.
I got hooked first listen, but some take time. There is alot going on with Lyrics and Music..

Todd Schnell

Second Unit
ScottH
I'm a prog guy too, & Metropolis pt 1 is one of my favorite songs.

Brian

Great choices! I should have mentioned "When Dream And Day Unite" has some pretty crappy production. Has great songs though.

Jason
I think Kev had some more interesing choices of keyboard patches as well as harmony & counterpoint among other things. DT is still great & Jordan is a monster player though. But on the other hand I do miss Kevin.

Dave
Nice call on Pain Of Salvation. Absolutely one of my very favorite bands! All 4 of their records are brilliant imo though different enough from each other. I love them all, but personally Entropia would be a "desert island" record for me. It would compete for my favorite record of all time.

Btw they have 2 records coming out this year.
An acoustic, & Be which I think will also be released on DVD.
I saw these guys live twice at ProgPower USA. Amazing band! Very nice guys too.
http://www.progpower.com/
http://www.painofsalvation.com/

I would also highly recommend Zero Hour!
http://zerohourweb.com/

Todd

dan-0

Stunt Coordinator
Well, this thread has been an interesting read.

I still remember the day I first heard Images&Words back in '92 (my god, has it been that long already?). Anyway, after passing around mother earths good bounty, my roommate told me to check out the new CD (I&W). I was floored! This album still remains in my top five of all time (even long after the drugs have ceased).

I quickly bought Awake when it was released and the CD was very pleasing to me. After that was Change of Seasons and I became diss-illuisioned with the direction the band was taking and lost track of subsequent releases.

Anyways, I stumbled upon this thread and picked up TOT this weekend. I am loving the CD, and am firmly back on the DT bandwagon!

I will have to check out Pain of Salvation as suggested by others.

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
Dan-o,

You should of made a trip to the cities on Saturday. DT played a 2 hour 45 minute show at the State Theater. They ended the show with playing Change of Seasons.

TOT is really growing on me and am enjoying it more with each listen.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks