What's new

Dream Theater - Train of Thought (1 Viewer)

Tony_Woods

Stunt Coordinator
Just picked up the newest release from Dream Theater this morning and I must say, it is awesome! All you rock, metal, and prog fans should check it out.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone else had problems ripping this disc to their music archive? I can't even access the PC content, it just sits in the CD drive and spins/spins/spins, wont stop, wont eject etc...end up having to reboot the computer. I tried it on another PC and had the same problem.

It plays fine in my home/car stereo, I just can't listen to it/access content/rip it on my computer.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Maybe I just have a bad disc? I can't do anything with the CD when I put it in the drive. Thanks for the feedback guys.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
It's still early, but I think Train Of Thought is easily Dream Theater's worst release to date. Way too Metallica/Iron Maiden-ish for me. 'In The Name Of God' is the only track I like.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Just picked it up last week and on first listen I think it is amazing.

Have not been a fan since Images and Words as they went off into too much of a progressive tangent for my tastes but this one really smokes.

And the lyrical content is really something else .. some of the stuff really hits home.

A very "honest" release!

Steve Crowley

Stunt Coordinator
I've had this for awhile and it is a different area they are going into. Totally different from their previous 2 outings. Just go to there shows and see what they can do live. The last 4 I have seen have been fantastic. Can't really complain as this is what I like and look forward to seeing them again. Too bad Liquid Tension Experiment won't be touring anymore. Those 2 discs are probably their best musically. Cheers.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I have NEVER heard Dream theater before 5 minutes ago, when XM Radio played "As I Am".

Kind of a rip of the main riff in Black Sabbath (the self-titled track), but way heavier than I would have guessed, given that every mention I have ever seen of DT is that they are a prog rock band.

So, is the rest of it at all like "As I Am"? If so, I may track it down for a purchase.

How about the sonics? Hard to tell from XM Radio, and I have been burned way too may times lately be new stuff that musically is good, but sonically is dog squeeze.

BGL

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Kind of a rip of the main riff in Black Sabbath (the self-titled track), but way heavier than I would have guessed, given that every mention I have ever seen of DT is that they are a prog rock band.
As I Am is probbaly the most straight forward track on the record. Not that the rest are musical masturbations, far from it, but I would say that if you enjyed that track, you will like the record.

Now that I spent some time with it, I must say that it is brilliant and really grew on me. Definetelly their best since Images and Words (a good record to start with if you never heard DT).

Their 90's epic musical wnakery releases really left me cold, but this one has reafirmed my faith that they can still write solid, catchy tunes.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
OK, I went on this morning and bought it based on hearing half of "As I Am".

WHAT A KILLER DISC!

I can't compare this to anything else DT has done, since I have not heard any other DT, but taken in the context of other new music out there, this is a fabulous CD.

The sonics are quite good, with plenty of low bass, double bass kick drum, and the highs, cymbals in particular sound smooth. Quite a contrast to my last few new CDs (Jet, Ryan Adams, for example, which sound like sh*t compared to this).

As for the music, there are so many different styles blended in here that its hard to describe it, but I will try...

I am hearing elements of speed metal, shredding, traditional keyboard oriented prog rock (the last cut in particular, In the Name of God), metal, hard rock...the list goes on.

There are little snippets here and there that bring to mind Sabbath, Queensryche, Dokken, Malmsteen, and yes, perhaps Iron Madden. Lots of tuned down guitars, and lots of blistering guitar work.

This is without a doubt the best CD I have purchased in quite some time.

And, for those with 5.1 systems, a small tip. I played this with my NAD 762's EARS surround mode engaged. Wonderful! There is quite a lot of thick, ambient textures on this disc, which lends itself to Pro Logic II, NEO:6, and my NAD's EARS mode.

The soundstage stays firmly anchored up front, but is brought forward into the room in a subtle, but satisfying way.

Side note to Aurel: Wankery???? Musical Masturbations???Gotta love the imagery there! Based on your suggestion, I am now going to check out some samples from Images and Words.

BGL

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
Brian,

I suggest you buy "Images and Words" and "Metropolis 2: Scenes from a Memory" today, sight unseen. You won't be sorry. They are both that good.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I would recommend "Awake" to be your next purchase. IMO it is by far their pinnacle.
You guys want to arm wrestle over which is best:D

On a side note, this freakin forum has caused me to spend soooo damn much money on new music and equipment:D

Hummm...maybe Ron or Packy can use that line in the next round of HTF advertising.

BGL

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
Brian,

For my taste ever since they started producing themselves the soloing has become too over-the-top. If that is more your speed than you will enjoy "Metropolis 2". "Awake", I feel, contains the perfect balance of being heavy and melodic at the same time.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Brian,

I'd have to say that you should pick up Images and Words and Scenes from a Memory if Train of Thought is your 'cup of tea'. Awake is excellent but it sounds nothing like ToT.

I'd also recommend Change of Seasons. It's got one original track and some covers. You want it for the original track 'Change of Seasons'. 23 minutes long and IMO one of the best songs they've ever created.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Brian,

I envy you. You are about to hear one of the best bands of the last decade.

One thing to keep in mind...many of the songs will take four or five listens to really appreciate. There's so much going on musically that it takes time for your brain to absorb it all.

Let us know what you think.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
One thing to keep in mind...many of the songs will take four or five listens to really appreciate. There's so much going on musically that it takes time for your brain to absorb it all.
Roger that!

When I listened to Train of Thought, I was amazed at all the little bits and pieces that kept popping up. Some really, really interesting parts all melded together into a cohesive whole.

On a side note, this would be absolutely killer in hi-rez MC. This music is made for DVD-A or SACD.

Its kind of funny that I am so late to the DT party. I play the guitar every now and then, and via various guitar mags, I have been aware of John Petrucci for years. But I seem to have attached a negative connotation to the term prog rock, and thus never tracked down any of his stuff.

I expect that I will now come to regret that, but as they say; better late than never. I love "discovering" new stuff that is actually "old" or at least has been around for a bit.

BGL

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks