What's new

Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos in 5.1! (1 Viewer)

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor

The animation was fun. The same person that's on the Octavarium disc.

I also saw Jordan play the "keytar." I don't know if that's the real name or not, but you get the idea. Seeing him dueling alongside Petrucci was a lot of fun.

They also ended with the medley in Dallas/Ft. Worth. It's nice seeing them because since they are a bit older it's a different audience than with Metallica or someone a bit more mainstream. The audience comes to see them play, and you can see a lot of respect. A good show.

Here is part of "Dark Eternal Night" that I took with my digital camera uploaded on myspace with some of the animation. The sound kind of goes in and out because I don't think my camera really liked that volume level, but it was still a fun clip.

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fusea...deoid=14945098

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Cool clip. Thanks for sharing! That cartoon *is* a hoot. ;)

(You do realize that Metallica's been around longer than DT, right?)

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor

Right, so maybe the "they're older" claim wasn't the best, but what I was trying to say is that Dream Theater fans usually go because of their musicianship. Metallica is mainstream enough that some casual fans would go for the party. Maybe I'm generalizing. Not knocking Metallica either....at least not knocking them for that ;)

Jonathan Peterson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Peterson

I hear this a lot about fans not liking Falling Into Infinity and I am curious why people dis-like it or feel the songwriting is sub-par? After Awake, it is probably the album I listen to the most.

I am also curious how fans would rank their albums. For me it looks like this:

1) Awake: A+
2) Falling Into Infinity: A
3) Images And Words: A
4) Scenes From A Memory: A-
5) Octavarium: B+
6) Systematic Chaos: B
7) Train Of Thought: B
8) Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence: C-

I love their "A Change of Seasons" track and never did care for the original singer. I had that first album but gave it away.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member

I would go with this:

1. Scenes from a Memory
2. Images and Words
3. Octavarium
4. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
5. Awake
6. Systematic Chaos
7. Falling into Infinity
8. Train of Thought

Even though FII and ToT are last, I like many elements of each. I just don't find myself listening to those as much as the others. As far as favorite songs, I would say:

1. Home
2. Octavarium
3. Metropolis Pt. 1
4. About to Crash (reprise)
5. Peruvian Skies

That list changes frequently, though. I'm thinking Ministry of Lost Souls may crack one of the top spots eventually.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
There's no accounting for taste. :) My favorites are probably I&W, 6 Degrees, and Train of Thought. (I like the latest two a lot as well, but haven't listened enough to fairly compare them to the older stuff.)

I like WDADU, but I'm an old '80s metalhead. ;)

Jonathan Peterson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Peterson
Here are my top ten songs. It's pretty hard to pick just ten.

1) The Mirror
2) Space-Dye Vest
3) Phrophets Of War
4) Learning To Live
5) Burning My Soul
6) The Spirit Carries On
7) Endless Sacrifice
8) Octavarium
9) Fatal Tragedy
10) Anna Lee

I also have a very soft spot in my heart for "Take Away My Pain" since I too lost my father.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Well, FII was a troubled period for the band. They were without a producer for much of the time they were writing the album, which is why there are more outtakes for that album than any other. Also, they were under pressure from the label for success, so there is some view that their vision was compromised.

Certainly, with the THREE ballads on the album, I can understand that view.

Personally, I think those sessions contain some of the best songwriting they have ever done. Lines in the Sand is probably the best song they have ever written. There were a few of the outtakes that should have made the album instead of what was on there.

Unfortunately, until the new album, I didn't think their writing since has reached that level.

Jason

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member

I'd swap FII and SC but otherwise this is my order exactly. As for songs, I don't think I could pick a top ten but I can pick my personal number one, A Change of Seasons. Octavarium is a close second.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor

I would kill for most of their albums in 5.1. I don't have DVD-A or SACD, but I loved their 5.1 Special Edition of their latest.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks