1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

DRC: DTS and DD

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JohnDG, Apr 6, 2003.

1. JohnDG

JohnDG Well-Known Member

I'm running a Denon 3802, Paradigm Monitor 7's and CC370 across the front, and an SVS 16-46PCi. Calibrated via Avia, fronts set to small, with the sub running 4dBs hot (1dB hot on the Rat Shack meter). Crossover is set at 100Hz, with a fairly flat FR curve (+/-4) from 140Hz through 60Hz: no equalizer.

I've also tamed the brightness of the Monitors (wood floors, wood walls) by dialing down the tone control by -2dBs for the treble on the 3802. IIRC: tone controls only apply to DD, not to DTS.

Here's the question: running DTS source (Haunting, Atlantis: TLE, Titan AE), I find the bangs and booms ratio to voices to be quite fine. However, running DD sources, I find that the dynamic range seems to be much greater: so much so that I end up using DRC at the mid level to approximate the dynamic range of DTS recordings.

Ahy ideas why I have this perception? I'm pretty certain that the CC is much cleaner with DTS versus DD.

jdg

2. JohnDG

JohnDG Well-Known Member

"Bueller?"