What's new

Dragnet 1970 To Be Released! (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Dragnet-1967-Season-4/14902

And we have "Dragnet" joining the ranks of the completed! That all this could happen in less than a year after being stalled for five years in "one and done" territory is nothing short of miraculous from my standpoint.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Adam-12 is the only one I'm... worried... about.

But, there's still plenty of time left in 2011 for announcements for the last two seasons.

Anyway, it's great to see that the color Dragnet series is going to be finished. I guess now's the time to start begging Shout for B&W episodes

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Theodore J. Mooney

I haven't seen much of the 50s Dragnet ... how does that series compare to the 60s version?

It's the same show. The only difference is, the B&W episodes don't feel as dated as the color episodes.

The B&W years didn't have hippies and flower children and anti-pot Jesus speeches directed at smug gurus.

So, most of the real eye roller moments from Dragnet 6X are missing from the 50s version, while all the good stuff remains intact.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I have to disagree. I really don't care much for the B/W episodes I have seen because for one thing Webb's obsession as a director with tight close-ups really gets to be distracting after awhile, especially in shows that I have heard the radio versions of and where I can envision a much broader canvas. I also find Harry Morgan to have a much easier rapport with Webb than Ben Alexander.

And yeah, the show does have its share of 60s topicality but so does every other show on TV from that era and compared to some of them, Dragnet holds up much better IMO.

S

silverking

Well done Shout for getting this one completed & quickly too !

I'd love to see more of the 50's Dragnet, a real groundbreaker in its day.

What is the situation with prints, I had heard they were all stored away

somewhere after being withdrawn when the colour series aired.

I understand about the tight close-ups but bear in mind these were the

days of 12" & 15" screens when the composition of a picture was entirely

different to today.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
My hope is that Shout will release a complete series set and maybe have the 1954 theatrical film as a bonus.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
I'm also optimistic that Shout! might do the 50s Dragnet. I know there's a LOT of PD releases of the show, but I'd love season sets.

ChadP2k

Stunt Coordinator
Just recieved this today... I thank Shout Factory for making it possible for all of us to get the final seasons of Dragnet, but I have one gripe... Universal used the Keep Case packaging for Season 1, Shout went to boxed thinpak's for seasons 2 & 3, and now Season 4 is back to the original Universal Keep Case Packaging. I REALLY wish they would standardize this stuff!

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by ChadP2k

Just recieved this today... I thank Shout Factory for making it possible for all of us to get the final seasons of Dragnet, but I have one gripe... Universal used the Keep Case packaging for Season 1, Shout went to boxed thinpak's for seasons 2 & 3, and now Season 4 is back to the original Universal Keep Case Packaging. I REALLY wish they would standardize this stuff!

Huh?

I bought my set on its original release day in 2005, so I'm quite confident that the original 2005 version of Dragnet 1967 was three single disc thinpaks in a box, which means it wasn't too much different from Shout's '68 and '69 sets with the double thinpaks.

Did you happen to get your Dragnet '67 recently, after Universal rereleased the set in 2010?

Also, personally, I don't care about the packaging, as long as the material is out there uncut. Oh, and it isn't that horrible Simpsons "green" packaging.

Anyway, my set is due to arrive tomorrow. It'll be nice to have Dragnet complete. Now, about Adam-12...

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Anyway, my set is due to arrive tomorrow. It'll be nice to have Dragnet complete. Now, about Adam-12...

How about releasing the ORIGINAL 1950s Dragnet?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I got my set today and I right away raced to watch the hilarious "A.I.D-The Weekend" with the greatest closing line of any Dragnet episode, "Haven't you ever heard of duck hash?"

For so long, "Dragnet" was my #1 title of frustration, stalled out at one season only and it always made my blood boil seeing so many other 60s shows from the same period completed on DVD while this one remained perpetually stuck. Now today, "Dragnet" joins the ranks of classic TV shows completed on DVD and it's like seeing a milestone fulfilled in my years as a TV on DVD enthusiast.

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Here is how I will play this one out...

If I manage to start O.T. soon...birthday buy.

If not...under the XMAS tree this one goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks