What's new

Dragnet 1969 (Season 3) (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Amazon has a pre-order and release date up already for December 7! Looks like Shout is fasttracking this series to completion since this would be just five months after S2.

Real Name
Kevin
This is good news happening so quickly after the release of S2. I assume this means that Dragnet 6X is doing well for them.

Here's hoping Shout will consider releasing the 1950's Dragnet since that series is even better, IMO. Only 57 of the 276 episodes of the 50's series have ever made it to home video/DVD so there is still much to see of that series.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by nostalgic TV guy

Here's hoping Shout will consider releasing the 1950's Dragnet since that series is even better, IMO. Only 57 of the 276 episodes of the 50's series have ever made it to home video/DVD so there is still much to see of that series.

You'd think TIMELESS would do something with the 1950's Dragnet, provided they could find prints of the shows not in the public domain.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I have to say that watching this show recently that the color episodes are so cheesy and preachy that they are unintentionally hilarious. Not to mention so dated. The episodes that are Friday vs the counterculture are the best/worst. He's like a well-spoken version of Archie Bunker.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I couldn't disagree more. If anything, "Dragnet" holds up a lot better than a lot of other supposedly better "socially relevant" shows that owe their reputation mostly to the ideological agenda they came from.

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
The only time I find the show cheesy is in the one light moment they awkwardly insert into almost every episode, with Joe and Bill at the precinct and Bill going on about some nonsense (how he make a sandwich, etc.). 'Dragnet' does not do comedy, and it should not have tried. But when they're on a case, the show is one of the best police procedurals ever made.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Season 4's episode where Bill has Joe over to his house for dinner and a pinochle game is a brilliantly funny episode with a classic end line, "Haven't you ever heard of duck hash?"

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Actually, I enjoyed those moments of levity between Friday and Gannon during the 1967-70 era. I believe they kept things from going down too heavily at the time as well as humanized things some. This is due for release next Tuesday. I look forward to placing this underneath my XMAS tree alongside Season 2 (1968) which is also an XMAS gift as well!!!!

Enjoying this set and just watched the "Narcotics - DR-16" episode on Disc 2...anyone else notice that there seems to be about five minutes missing? The total time is only 20:11, although it doesn't look like anything was edited from it - anyone know what happened? (the original airdate was 12/5/68; wonder if there was a holiday special on that perhaps needed to start early?)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Apart from the ep with the Captain Lightning fanboy, I haven't been able to peruse this set much. I am disappointed they didn't go with ep titles like the ones they had on the second season (i.e. "the big swindle", "The big neighbor", "the big departure") . Seeing a disc full of DR-16, DR-17, just doesn't fill me with the same kind of enthusiasm.

Looking over the ep descriptions, I think apart from the Capt. Lightning one, all my favorites moments from the show were probably in the second season.

Still, I'm very happy Shout! took over and has gotten these out at last, and I'll be right there for the last season if/when they release it.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
S3 suffers from an abundance of "community affairs" type shows that were made at the instigation of LA's then Chief Of Police Thomas Reddin who was trying to use "Dragnet" as a vehicle for promoting the "your police force cares" type messages that unfortunately don't make for compelling viewing today. There are fewer of these in the latter part of S3 and then by S4 (when LA hired a new chief) they were thankfully gone altogether.

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Charles H

Anybody else catch the O.J. Simpson cameo in the "Community Relations" episode?

Yes, and coincidentally, last night I saw him as an extra in the Ironside episode "Pricetag: Death" with Raph Meeker and Clu Gulager. He must have picked up some small roles in Universal shows while he was at USC.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks