What's new

Dragnet 1967 Repackaged & Rereleased - What's Next? (1 Viewer)

ToddR2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd Rutherford
Danny, the way "Five Days in the Death of Sgt. Brown" is currently available is as you had surmised: just like "The Priest Killer", in a separate movie package, edited together without the cliffhanger ending you mentioned. Therefore, it is quite likely that if we get one movie, we'll get both. It is only wishful thinking on my part that we could see The Bold Ones titles (I don't really expect to, for the reasons you mentioned). Sorry for diverting from the subject of this thread.

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
I have a question. Just how expensive would it be to transfer something like the DA episode? It is only 1 26 minute episode. How much to transfer a 51 minute episode? I know if they used HD sourcing like Hawaii Fivo-O, Mannix, etc it would cost a good deal more. Is it really that expensive for one 26 minute or one 51 minute episode to be transferred? Anyone have an idea of how much for a 26 minute episode and a 51 minute episode transferred non HD like Cannon. How about a 26 minute episode and a 51 minute episode transferred HD like Hawaii Five-O?

Thanks!

Robert

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I've heard the figure of $5,000 passed around before in regards to Universal programs. No clue if that's for a 25 minute episode or a 50 minute episode.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by LeoAmes

I've heard the figure of $5,000 passed around before in regards to Universal programs. No clue if that's for a 25 minute episode or a 50 minute episode.

That's the figure I have heard as well. And I believe its per show, regardless of running time, but of course I don't really know for sure.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by ToddR2

Danny, the way "Five Days in the Death of Sgt. Brown" is currently available is as you had surmised: just like "The Priest Killer", in a separate movie package, edited together without the cliffhanger ending you mentioned. Therefore, it is quite likely that if we get one movie, we'll get both. It is only wishful thinking on my part that we could see The Bold Ones titles (I don't really expect to, for the reasons you mentioned). Sorry for diverting from the subject of this thread.

Are you sure? Because I have a freind who recorded all of the Ironsides from a run in Canada a few years ago and the episode ran as a regular 1-hour episode in the Ironside syndication package.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I just watched this story on my "unofficial" set which is from Canada. It is shown in two parts as a regular "Ironside" episode. David Hartman and E.G. Marshall are given special credits with the "Ironside" regulars in a revised "Ironside" title opening for both parts. So if "Ironside" makes it to S6 on DVD in any area, the story will not be incomplete. It just means that the "Bold Ones" episode is presented like Pt. 2 of a regular 'Ironside" episode.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jack P

I just watched this story on my "unofficial" set which is from Canada. It is shown in two parts as a regular "Ironside" episode. David Hartman and E.G. Marshall are given special credits with the "Ironside" regulars in a revised "Ironside" title opening for both parts. So if "Ironside" makes it to S6 on DVD in any area, the story will not be incomplete. It just means that the "Bold Ones" episode is presented like Pt. 2 of a regular 'Ironside" episode.
Actually that's good news. So it means they did put both parts into the Ironside package after all so that we should get it if Madman gets that far. That makes sense. It's too bad that Universal never bothered to put that D.A. episode in the Adam-12 package. Or did they? Has anybody checked on that?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I suspect that because "The D.A." was such a short-lived show and also long canceled by the time "Adam-12" went into syndication that it never occurred to them that there would be an episode that could have been put in the "Adam-12" syndication package with revised credits. "The Bold Ones" by contrast, lasted several years and was better remembered by all at Universal.

ToddR2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd Rutherford
Apologies for another off-topic post. When Ironside was in syndication in the 70's-80's, I recall that the two-part "...Sgt. Brown" episodes were presented just as Jack had mentioned. Since then, I've only seen the episode presented as a movie (though retaining the modified credits). The last time I saw this was roughly 3 years ago. In any case, I'm sure that we'll get both episodes, as I originally mentioned.

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy
Just wondering about another Jack Webb show, anyone think Project U.F.O. will get released?
It only ran for two seasons (26 episodes.)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Originally Posted by The Obsolete Man

IMO, Universal themselves screwed up by not putting that in the first box set.

I mean, chronologically, the movie was the pilot for the series, and since season 1 was a short season, the Dragnet '67 box set would have been the perfect place for it.

But, didn't happen, so I guess we have to hope Shout can license the film for the Dragnet '69 box set.
We may not have to wait that long! A Dragnet Yahoo group list has some posts by someone named Matt Swintek who contributed the bonus material on the S2 Adam-12 set and is apparently involved with the bonus material for the S2 Dragnet set. He just posted a message to the group in response to a question about the original movie and said:

"World Premiere: Dragnet 1966" is included in the set."

So looks like we will be squaring things essential on "Dragnet" with this release! Also clarified is that the 29th episode pre-empted and not aired until S3 will be held back for that set.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Hope he isn't providing the pilot, those Adam-12 promos in the season 2 set were in horrible shape (Still glad they were in there though).

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
With the inclusion of the Pilot Movie, you can count me in to purchase this set!

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
DRAGNET: SEASON 2 was a definite purchase for me anyway, but the inclusion of the pilot movie sweetens the package considerably!

I'm subsequently hoping for Seasons 3 & 4 in the near future, and also hoping that the Jack Webb/Johnny Carson "Copper Clappers" skit from THE TONIGHT SHOW shows up on one of the sets as an extra.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Originally Posted by JoeDoakes

At the end of 2009, Universal discontinued its 2005 release of the 1967 reboot of Dragnet. As no subsequent seasons of Dragnet ever were issued, I figured that Universal had sold their run of it and would not make any more. However, on January 5, 2010, Universal rereleased the first season in a slightly different form. The 2005 edition was issued on three double sided discs. However, the third disc merely had one television episode on it and a bonus of one 1950s Dragnet radio show. The 2010 edition is on merely two (presumably double sided discs). As the 1960s Dragnet is for me one of my favorite Universal television titles (along with Columbo and Leave it to Beaver), I am delighted that Universal has not given up on the series. However, as rereleasing the 1967 seaon obviously entailed the expense of pressing more discs and producing new packages, I am wondering whether Universal might have more plans for this show. All of the 1960s episodes are available on streaming on Netflix so I would think that it would not be that expensive to reduce the remaining episodes to disc.
If anyone from Universal is reading this, here is one fan's idea of the perfect package: issue the 1960s Dragnet incarnation as a complete series set in packaging similar to the Munsters Complete Series. Include as bonuses the 1966 produced television movie (aired on TV a few years later), the 1954 theatrical movie (soon to be available as burn on demand on Amazon), the clip from Jack Benny's 2d farewell special in the early 1970s where Friday and Gannon show up to denounce Jack as despicable, perhaps old Nick at Night or TV Land advertisements for the show (they are quite funny), and perhaps commentary from Dragnet expert Michael J. Hayde (author of My Name's Friday). If it is too expensive, everything but the 1966 TV movie could be dropped. There are about 30 more episodes of the 1960s Dragnet than there are of the Munsters, so I would think that a Complete Series package would be doable.

Does anyone have any more thoughts on this?

Apparenly, Shout did find the clip from Jack Benny's 2d farewell special and include it on the Dragnet 1970 release. Way to go Shout! I still hope for a Complete Series package, however.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I cover some Dragnet 1967 episodes in my latest blog entry, "Great Moments in Classic Television from 2017":
https://briandanacamp.wordpress.com/2018/01/08/great-moments-in-classic-television-from-2017/

Who can forget this moment?
38721437444_08196a2c87.jpg

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Tonight, January 11, is the 50th anniversary of the broadcast of the notorious Dragnet 1968 episode, "The Prophet," in which Friday and Gannon spend a half-hour debating the merits and pitfalls of LSD and other drugs with self-proclaimed "prophet" of LSD, William Bentley, aka Brother William, a thinly-veiled stand-in for Timothy Leary. (He's played by Liam Sullivan.) It's quite an unusual episode, stylistically, not least because of the nonstop sitar soundtrack.

"Marijuana is the flame, heroin is the fuse, LSD is the bomb."

24713673217_d575956b78.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks