What's new

DRACULA 1979 on 10/19 (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

LOL

this could end up being the first truly satisfying release of this title on home video yet!
if there is one potential disappointment i have about this release its that it appears there is no theatrical trailer.
i remember they cut together a great trailer for this film, and i'll miss seeing it.
wonder if the featurette is a vintage or a new one?

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
Why is everyone ragging on what is obviously the DIRECTOR'S INTENT for the look of the film?? Yes, it's nice to see pretty colors on your home theater, but...

-Dennis

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Oh gimme a break Dennis if Badham suddenly decided he wanted Dracula released in sepia with piano score and caption cards, you'd accept it with no complaints because it was what his holiness the director wanted?

:D

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

it's nice to see the pretty colors because thats what every technician was intending you to see when the film was being made.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I want to see the movie I saw in a theatre back in 1979 when I snuck in at the age of 12...

Hopefully the new DVD returns the film to its original version.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
James, I think you're misinterpreting those shots. THe widescreen is desaturated because the color has to be spread over a larger area.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will

This has to be said...you ARE joking, right? The caps are obviously from the Pan and Scan Laser (with the theatrical color scheme) and the widescreem LD or DVD with John Badham's color experiment.

If you're joking, I'm gonna look like a total butt.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Great news about the colour scheme. Nice to see that Badham has recorded a commentary, too.

I have the feeling that the reason for Badham's volte face is more to do with the fact that if he wanted to use his desaturated scheme, it would have required colour 'correcting' the palette all over again.

The old 4:3/2.35:1 letterboxed master used for the non-anamorphic Image DVD, was originally created for the Laserdisc that Badham supervised, so this all-new 16x9/2.35:1 transfer would have required all-new colour 'correcting' done from scratch, which would have taken time and money. Or maybe Badham's attitude towards the film has changed in the last few years. Who know. Perhaps he'll mention this on the commentary.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Interstingly enough, if Technicolor had not closed its dye transfer plants in North America, Badham might have had his way in 1979. Technicolor told him they would have to have the prints made in China to acheive the "antique look" he wanted, and Universal wasn't willing to do this (thank heavens) so he had his revenge, so to speak, in the digital realm. Maybe somebody convinced him that, since his "vision" is already represented on the Image Laser and DVD, that they try it their way this time.

But am I correct that this is all still conjecture? Does anybody know for sure that the new disc won't look like the Image?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

yeah- so far i don't know if what we are going on even qualifies as heresay

i hope we aren't getting excited for nothing

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I'm DYING to find out the answer myself! But I guess no one else cares...at least not until the STAR WARS furor dies down a little. The 19th isn't that far off though!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks