What's new

Dr. Who Season 3 Thread (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Jeffrey, if I was going to be uppity over this, I'd say that this remark is deeply offensive to the sizeable proportion of HTF users who are non-Americans. This is a world-wide forum, not solely an American preserve. But we non-Americans don't complain that there aren't spoiler tags around details of US shows. I've been scrupulously careful in my posts on this and similar threads not to give away spoiler details, but only extra info that may be of use for those who want it (and even that I've typically put in 'spoilers'). Now if any information I've given is too much, please let me know and I'll alter my posts in a heart beat.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
A brief thought on the choice of companions. Their choice has generally followed the trend in Brit drama to make things more 'realistic'. In the old Dr Who series, the companions were generally white middle class with accents to match. Then as the series progressed, there was a tendency to choose white working class or ethnic minority companions. The choice of the companions in the new Dr Who series perfectly illustrates this. The Doctor, on the other hand, remains solidly white and middle class (though sounding less patrician than in the days of William Hartnell or Tom Baker; however, this simply reflects the enormous shift in Brit 'educated accents' over the last forty years). I think the nearest cultural equivalent would be that the original Star Trek series would be full of actors sounding like Yuppies and by Enterprise they were all speaking with really pronounced Bronx or Appalachian accents.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
K9 won't be in it, because there is a seperate non-BBC K9 series being made, so he wasn't available. They had one scene in the pilot episode of Sarah-Jane Adventures where they (rather badly) wrote K9 out (he was trying to do something in space with a black hole, or some rubbish excuse).

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
I will try to post spoilers where appropriate. I have seen through series 3 and am anxiously awaiting Voyage of the Damned this Christmas. I have been too impressed by this show so far not to make some comments.

Regarding Eccleston, I was really won over by his portrayal and at the very moment Tennant 'took over,' I was slightly disappointed. However, that disappointment did not last long. Tennant's performance has proven every bit, if not more, complex and dynamic that Eccleston's, IMO.

It took me the whole first series to really warm up to Rose, but I was sorry to see her go all the same. I especially liked the 'brooding Doctor in Series 3, the way he swings from brooding reflection to maniacal dismissal of being so hung up on her. And I like Martha's questioning of her role, and her futile struggle to 'live up to' the former companion..
Yes, it's a bit soap opera-ish, but it works thanks to the performances.

I am surprised at the versatility of this show. In many ways it's a 'kitchen sink' endeavor, cramming as much horror, fantasy, sci-fi, and soap opera it can into 45 minutes. But the performances and the concepts have kept me coming back for more.

The most 'frightening' episode for me was 'Blink,' which terrified the bejeesus out of me. The 'weeping angels' were a really imaginative creation, and the way they 'get to you' is chilling!
I wonder if this episode's frightening concepts had the same chilling effect on some of you in the same way it did me!

More creepy crawly than 'chilling' was the strange evolutionary throwback scorpion monster with a human face
in the Lazarus Experiment.

The two parter, starting with 'Human Nature' took some really unexpected turns with the way the 'human' Doctor struggled with the ramifications of allowing the Doctor's psyche back into him. I especially liked the harshness in the way it ended, both with his love interest 'telling him off' essentially and with the various descriptions of what the Doctor did to the 'Family of Mine,' as narrated by 'son of mine.'

Then, of course, the return of The Master. What a deliciously evil role! Specifically what he does to debase and humiliate the Doctor over that hellish year (I mean - giving him a dog bowl and making him sleep in a tent on the ground, then placing him in a small birdcage?? Damn..)

I could not think of a more perfect denouement than the one established for Martha. I thought she was a wonderful companion and very much 'her own person.' Apparently, Donna (the 'runaway bride' from S03E01) will be making a return in S04. I apologize if this has been repeated in this thread already, but it was rumored that Kylie Minogue was going to appear as a guest star in 'Voyage of the Damned.'

Sorry for the copious spoilers, but since this is the Official thread for Season 3 on a site with global membership, I figured it appropriate.

noswalc

Auditioning
Real Name
Corey Clawson
I'm surprised to see that so few people liked Donna, The Runaway Bride. I really didn't like Rose because she was constantly fawning over the Doctor.
I will limit my commentary with respect to Martha (for those who haven't seen the complete Series 3), but despite similar behavior, I still liked her. Probably because she comes off as a strong woman.
Donna did one thing that challenges the traditional Doctor Who formula. She acts like the Doctor's equal. Her strong will (reminiscent of Tegan's of the 4th/5th Doctor era) made the episode much more interesting. A refreshing change to be completely honest.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell

I thought Torchwood begins airing new eps in January. I'm eager to see what BBC America will cut out of that show when they finally show the first season.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
I really liked this ep (The Shakespeare Code.) I loved at the end when Queen Elizabeth screamed "You!!" at the Doctor. That made my night.

The witches were a bit OTT but I kinda expect that from Who villains

I'll try to be better about anything that can be considered spoilerish.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

Not that I'm aware of. I dont think it's included in the syndication package that is being offered. Fortunatly YOU dont dont have to go without when it comes to watching something on the TUBE these days.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Very nice - I've always liked the Tin Dog, and in the hands of a skilled writer (the one Sarah Jane episode was hundreds of times better than Torchwood, so I'm reassured), I'll have no problem with him.

Call me sentimental, I guess.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
"The Family of Blood" was an interesting episode. Much has been made of others believing that the Doctor is the bringer of death and destruction when in fact he simply shows up where others are causing death and destruction and generally saves the day. But in this episode, Joan, his love interest, asked a very telling question which revealed that, in this case, the Doctor indeed brought death and destruction to the poor people and students at the school and village.

I know he simply wanted to hide until the family died out without anyone getting hurt. And if Martha had been able to find the watch in time, all the death and destruction might have been avoided. But he did select a place to hide where people were vulnerable should things go terribly wrong. If I were he, I know I would be very uncomfortable with having essentially hidden behind a bunch of school boys, especially if I had had the ability to dispatch the Family of Blood from the very beginning. And I would have been very ashamed not to have realized how wrong I was before Joan put the question to me.

Also, I thought it was strange how the story shifted focus at the end from Joan to Timothy. I thought it was a very touching (and even well-done) ending, but it just felt strange ending like that when Timothy had been such a minor character throughout the two-parter.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I enjoyed this 2 parter quite a bit. They sure had a bunch of scare crows! This story reminded me of a ST: Next Generation episode, the one where Picard lived an aliens life, from start to end. He had the little flute. The Inner Light i believe was the episode. Anyway, I hear this season gets even better from here on! I will be trying out Torchwood tonight. I do like Capt. Jack, but well, we will see.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
The Human Nature / Family of Blood two-parter is brilliant. If you weren't aware, the story is actually based on a brilliant novel called Human Nature that Paul Cornell wrote for the Seventh Doctor back in the 1990s. The novel is really excellent, considered one of the best Doctor Who novels ever, and is well worth reading. The BBC have the novel posted on the website, complete with notes and comments by Paul Cornell, and even a short section discussing the challenges of adapting the story for the TV show. Well worth taking the time to read.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I just finished watching season 3 and REALLY LOVED it.
My favorites from season 3 would definitely be "Blink" and "Gridlock"
but also quite enjoyed The Human Nature / Family of Blood episodes.(really nice looking episodes)

and I agree. I want Sally Sparrow to be a companion!!!

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
This two-parter was really excellent. Much more in-depth drama than the sometimes cheesy, tongue-in-cheek antics of OMG, Darlaks (or some other strange alien), which then the Doctor runs around, does a bunch of techno mumbo-jumbo and Bob's your uncle, problem solved. Kudos to all involved in making these 2 episodes so great.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
I'm not ashamed to admit that I did tear up a tad when viewing the last scene. Although not as bad as when viewing the ending flashbacks where all his boys are saying goodbye to Mr. Chips (1939 version of course).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks