What's new

Dr. Syn: The Scarecrow Of Romney Marsh (1 Viewer)

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
I noticed more than one thread on this upcoming Disney release - but thought it might be good to start one with some video captures, at least to give an idea of how it looks. These are from Part 1 and I will post some more when I get a chance. They are from my computer as I have not even viewed them on the tv yet.

Here are a few more showing the menus, plus some shots from the theatrical film version.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Yes, you are correct - Leonard Maltin makes mention of this in the intro. Walt Disney's introduction when the three part series originally ran on tv was also filmed in 1:66 and both this and the 4:3 version are included.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
As was common at the time, TV shows and movies were shot with some sort of wide-screen matte on the viewfinder. This accomplished two things-- one, dictating the amount of "tv safe" area where overscan would crop, and two, giving the film a possibility of a theatrical release if the series was canceled or went nowhere (such as the Robert Goulet TV show THE BLUE LIGHT, which was turned into a feature called I DEAL IN DANGER).

Good to see this is a nice transfer, too.

Terry Hickey

Second Unit
Real Name
Terry Hickey
I'm looking forward to it. I remember watching it on "The Wonderful World of Disney" when it was first telecasted, so the DVD ought to be great.

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven Kempner
When is this to be released? I have it in my Netflix queue, but it says, "release date unknown."

SMK

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Disney seems to be keeping the numbers down on this release. The included certificate mentions a run of 35,000 but where they print the numbered copy it shows # out of 39,500. Either way it pales in comparison to say Elfego Baca at 125,000 or The Hardy Boys at 65,000. I would think this series would be popular enough to have at least twice the number Disney decided on. Some buyers might be disappointed if they end up not finding one.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Can someone tell me what this show is about? Since the numbers on this title aren't very high, and I'm still a fan of the Walt Disney Treasures line (even though the recent dvds were a bit mediocre, I think).

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Brian, if you like Patrick McGoohan at all from Danger Man, you will enjoy Dr Syn.

The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh, in my opinion, is the best of the produced in England shows Disney produced at this time. For a three episode show that was not re-run much,it is very well remembered.

It has a great exciting bone-chilling theme song. It's filled with familiar British character actors. It's well written, well scored, well photographed, and has excitingly paced action too.

Here's the theme song lyrics:The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh tv theme song lyrics

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
I have never seen Danger Man, unfortunately. I know Patrick McGoohan only from Braveheart (I loved him in that) and Escape From Alcatraz.
But anyway, Dr. Syn sounds interesting as well.

tron1971

Auditioning
Real Name
Tran
This was one of my favorite shows growing and watching on The Disney Channel when it use to play all of the old shows. Now if Disney can get Zorro out I'll be a happy camper!

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Of course, I'd say it was the other way around - when you finally see Dr. Syn, if you like him in it - definitely check out Danger Man first and The Prisoner next.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Do a search over there and check out his review of the Swamp Fox Treasure. He thought all the guys in that looked alike too.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
So both 1.33:1 and 1.66:1 versions are included? Finally Disney gets it. Release BOTH and then nobody can complain. Since it was shown 1.33:1 on TV and 1.66:1 theatrically in Europe, both are legitimate ratios and everybody can be happy that they get to choose their own preference!

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but that's not what the review states. It says that both versions have the aspect ratio of 1.66:1.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
mine showed up and the Top disc was loose since the peg had completely snapped off and put a hole in the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks