What's new

Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (Warner Bros.)? (1 Viewer)

StevenA

Second Unit
Absolutely, Jim. I have a soft spot for the Universal horror films, but the technical and cinematic qualities of this Paramount production were incredible (the transformation effects are still startling!), plus the film has not dated nearly as much as one would expect from an early 1930s release (I believe I'm correct in saying this was originally released by Paramount). It's also laced with terrific black humor.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
The BBC, several years ago, screened a beautiful uncut print of the 1932 Fredric March version as part of their Forbidden Weekend season of classic controversial cinema.
I have this restored version somewhere in my horror collection, the 1932 version is still the best Jekyll and Hyde film ever made IMO. But I also have a soft spot for the Spencer Tracy version. I'd rather have those two horror classics than all the teen horror flicks of the past 20 years.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
It would be nice if they could get Rose Hobart involved with a commentary when/if they release the '32 J&H (She played March's fiance). I believe she is still alive, and pretty lively and outspoken as well. Maybe her and genre favorite Tom Weaver together--?

For that matter, I hope they get Fay Wray in on the rumored KONG disc coming next year. A commentary with her and Harryhausen would be terrific!

Kevin McCorry

Stunt Coordinator
There are film splices in various places during the MGM laserdisc version but the two most intrusive ones are when Hyde is contronting Ivy about her meeting with Jekyll. The film cuts at the precise point where Hyde removes Jekyll's money from Ivy's breast and then again when Hyde says, "I am the angel whom you wanted to slave for and love." It could be this is from the only surviving footage and the film splices would have to be digitally cleaned up. Personally, I'd want this movie on DVD with or without the splices. They were acceptable on laserdisc. They're hallmarks of old film.
For Warner to do right by this movie, it'd be nice if some
digital clean-up could be done. As extras there could indeed be an interview with Rose Hobart. I'm not sure but I think one of the stunt men is still alive. At least he was a few years ago when Starlog interviewed him. A release of this and the Spencer Tracy version would be a class act all the way for Warner, and I'm not sure if footage exists of March receiving the Oscar for Best Actor, but if any footage does exists, be nice to see that as well.

Henry V

Stunt Coordinator
A question for any of you that have actually seen the Rhino DVD of the CLIMAX! episode dramatizing "Dr. Jeckyl & Mr. Hyde" with Michael Rennie.
Does it look like it's pulled from the original film elements or is it from a Kinescope video tape copy?
The image quality would be the deciding factor for me in whether or not to buy it.

Kevin McCorry

Stunt Coordinator
I've finally received my DVD of the Michael Rennie
Jekyll and Hyde. It appears to be from original
film elements, including all of the film grain and sound
hiss. But it is a nicely done DVD. There is a menu with
scene access, and they did a good job of removing the
Climax! openings and segues (with William
Lundigan) and replacing them with newly produced credit sequences, and of course the original commercials have
been dropped. Aside from these changes, the program
is the same as it appeared on The Golden Years of
Television and TV Hits video.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks