What's new

Downgrading to 5.1 on a $1000 Budget (1 Viewer)

Jeff_Fitz

Stunt Coordinator
Justin:

Those Paradigms and the Denon are a nice starting point for a 5.1 setup. I agree that some tweaking might be in order.

Have you considered approaching your local Paradigm dealer with a request to demo a CC-470, a pair of Studio 20's and a PW-2200? I realize that kind of blows your budget, especially because you wouldn't be getting cash back on your fronts. That said, this setup should smoke any sub/sat system you'll be looking at in the $1000 price range.

To go back to your original request...check out the speaker systems buyer's guide at http://www.valuecanuck.com for comparative specs on many options in that price range (and others).

Hope that helps,

Jeff

Tim Reed

Grip
Couple of quick thoughts - I own Paradigm 100's (excellent speakers) - and I think that going from Paradigms to the other mass market brands mentioned (and - by the way -I own Klipsch LaScalas and Klispch outdoors - familier with Klipsch) would not be a good move. I would definitely mess around with the 60's until you are sure its not a setup issue.

If after that, you are still looking at something else - the interent brands mentioned are very good and will get you better bang for the buck. I would go with the suggrestions above over any in store brand such as Klipsch, JPL, Polk etc - in that price range.

But the max bang for the buck will be DIY. I would go over to the Madisound board and post a message asking for opinions on the best - cheap - good sounding easily built (i.e., can buy all components including cabinet and just assemble with a little soldering) DIY design. I am certain that what you come up with from that will be far better than any recommendations so far.

Even doing that - I still don't think you budget allows you to do it all at once - I think you need to do it in pieces and have patience - it will reward you.

As a point of reference - I built the EFE DIYs. My neighbor has the Ascends CBMs. The Ascends are good little speakers - but a definite notch below the EFE DIYs - its immediately obvious (and this shouldn't be surprising - since I spent as much money on the EFE DIYs as he did on the Ascends and Ascend has to make some money - so this translates to better components/drivers in the EFE DIYs - + Ed did a great job with the crossover - - in fact doing this same analysis versus my Paradigms 100's leads me to conclude the EFE DIY drivers are better than the 100 drivers - and they sound that way!).

There are some great designs out there - free. Check out anything by Dennis Murphy, Tony Gee, Rick Craig (Selah Audio - not free- but excellent) - and a whole buch more over at Madisound board. Their designs compete and in most cases are superior to equivalent commercial designs (of course - you would be looking at the designs where you can simply buy all the components and assemble - so that simplifies it considerably - the EFE DIY is one such design - and I bet you would like it as much or better than the Paradigm 60).

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks