What's new

Downgraded audio quality using "audio-out" on TV? (1 Viewer)

Ray Ruggaurs

Agent
Hi all!

I'm thinking of this set-up and I'm trying to get as much planned as possible so on the day I can tell the TV installers how to set things up.

I'm thinking of hooking up my laser disc player's, and the ps2's audio (the left and right/red and white RCA cables) directly to the TV and then use the audio out on the TV (Sony XBR4) to my sound system. This saves on cables running to the sound system and provides the option to listen to the sound via the TV or the home theater.

My question:

Will the above set-up degrade the sound quality going to the home theater? The sound will run through the TV then to the sound system. The cable running from the TV to the sound system is 2 metres or about 7 feet.

If the sound input coming in is dolby prologic will the sound coming out of the audio out sockets also be dolby prologic? In other words, input in is input out?

Or am I better off just running the sound directly to the sound system?

Thanks in advanced for your answers =)!

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
It may work ok, using RCA cables. That hookup doesn't usually work with digital hookups though. Does the LD player and ps2 not have digital audio outputs? Or is your receiver a Pro Logic receiver?

For audio, it's usually better to go straight to the receiver. You'll have to set the A/V receiver, to output Pro Logic, when using those sources. Once you set it, it should stay at that setting.
Good luck!

Ray Ruggaurs

Agent
Thanks for the reply!

I'm using RCA since I want to keep the coaxial and optical out on my receiver for the DVD and blu-ray.

Most of my LD's and ps2 games are pro logic.

Looks like i'll be running the cables directly to my sound system.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
You do understand that using the digital coax or optical, with a Blu ray player, will only give you regular DD and DTS, right? To listen to the HD audio, on Blu ray movies, you'll need to use the 5.1/7.1 analog inputs of the receiver, or have a receiver that processes the new formats over HDMI. Using the coax or optical connection, is defeating half the purpose of Blu ray. Although, you'll still need to make that connection too, if you're going to watch regular dvds on the Blu ray player.
Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks